Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone

Got a really nice surprise from a bag of nickels today. Certainly the best bag of nickels I've ever found.

Totals were.

326 buffalos
196 war nickels
17 V nickels
a 1931 Canadian George V Nickel
a very crudely made 1940 (both sides) 2 headed nickel.

as to the buffalo's 121 were identifiable by date and include a 1914. 205 were no date 6 of which were 1913 type 1. Of those there was 1 P; 2 D and 1 S and two were so worn I couldn't determine the mint mark.

for V nickels dates were 1887, 1893, 1897, 1898, 1899, 1902 (2), 1904, 1905, 1906, 1910 (3), 1912 (2) 1912D and one no date (19XX)

Attachments

• 1913buffs.jpg
    1913buffs.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 149
  • 1931canadanick.jpg
    1931canadanick.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 148
  • buffnodate.jpg
    buffnodate.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 299
  • buffwithdates.jpg
    buffwithdates.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 148
  • vnicks.jpg
    vnicks.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0
OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing for now. I also check the reject bin every week and this machine had 29 steel cents in it and that is also where the 1931 Canadian Nickel was found. It's possible that the quarter bag may have something, but I remember one instance a couple of years ago where I found a barber quarter in the reject bin. So I bought all of the quarters (I seem to recall it was three bags). they were a total skunk. I also took quarters the next week just in case they were still on the machine when I made my rounds. that was also a skunk.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Epic! Go to that bank and buy dime and quarter bags as soon as the are ready. Looks like someone's granny collection/hoard got dumped for quick cash. I would expect a good batch of mercs and washington Ag quarters.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
I typically buy everything that comes off the machine except for quarters and small dollars. Hopefully the dime bag will come off the machine next week. I've already sent an SOS to the teller asking him to hold any quarter bags they have. I hope he 1. is working today and 2. that he gets the message before the armored car service picks up the quarters.
You need to go fill the other bags and immediately buy them!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
that would be a treat wouldn't it. When I hold it just right under good light I think I'm seeing the last 2 digits as 11, but not sure.

Oh dang, oh well, worth a shot.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing for now. I also check the reject bin every week and this machine had 29 steel cents in it and that is also where the 1931 Canadian Nickel was found. It's possible that the quarter bag may have something, but I remember one instance a couple of years ago where I found a barber quarter in the reject bin. So I bought all of the quarters (I seem to recall it was three bags). they were a total skunk. I also took quarters the next week just in case they were still on the machine when I made my rounds. that was also a skunk.

I've heard back from the vault teller and he was able to keep everything from being picked up so I'll head over that way in the next couple of days to see what else might be in the bags

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is to hoping that there is some more action to be had!!

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a dream bag; So you bought the penny bag already or it is still on the machine?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !! I did a $200 bag last nite notta

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been collecting for 6years and I only have 80 war nickels and 2 liberty V. You have found a lifetime of CRH in one day.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just crazy awesome. When buying the other bags don't forget to buy the penny bag.

I buy everything except quarters and small dollars every week. when I made this particular pick up there were 3 cent bags and the 1 nickel bag. I'll pick up the quarter bags that are full tomorrow and hopefully the dime bag will also be full.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a dream bag; So you bought the penny bag already or it is still on the machine?

I got 3 cent bags that day. In addition to the 30 steel cents that were in the reject bin. One of the bags had about 50 earlier date wheat cents with most of them being in the teens and 20's. no key dates and most are very worn. That bag also had 10 indian head cents:). AND a bag of nickels from another branch had 3 war nickels, 2 buffalo's and 3 V nickels including a very worn 1883 W/Cents. Once I get the other bags I'll post a new message with updated totals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread