TD Bank-----Coin Reject Question

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was off to my local TD bank today, when I saw the "Greeter" opening up the penny arcade machine. Out of curiosity, I went over and looked at the inside. She took out some bags, and one of them was obviously full of reject coins. Most were foreign, and I easily noticed there were 4 silver rosies in there. So I politely asked, "Can I have the rejects? I collect the foreigns and stuff." She said "No, we send those to our coin distributer." This instantly popped a lot of questions in my mind. What would BRINKS or whoever supplies TD, want to have a bunch of junk foreign? Also, I have heard stories where people have asked for the rejects and gotten them all from the machine. What's going on? How can Brinks have the time to sort out the foreign from silver when TD sends them these bags?:icon_scratch:
No silver rosies today...

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what they just say, like "We don't have any halves" when there are some. Try a different bank if you want rejects.

OP
OP
SilverMan86

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what they just say, like "We don't have any halves" when there are some. Try a different bank if you want rejects.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll try going to different banks around town. :tongue3:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they dont have to give them to you, but they usually give them to me, it depends on the teller and bank policy. get to know the teller and they will give them to you every time you walk in!

OP
OP
SilverMan86

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses guys! It really helped a lot. Next time I'll go to a new TD bank, and ask them what they do with their rejects.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I spoke with a CSR at a TD Bank by me. They said they take all the foreign coin they get in general and stash it in a bucket in the vault. Periodically they send it in to be counted & the currency exchanged. Apparently some account of theirs is credited (probably the bag counts account). Not sure if it is with the coin carriers or their own corporate. They said the process takes a long time to be reconciled internally, like a month or two.

I just reach a few fingers into that tube and scoop out whatever is in there. They are basically ripping off their customers by not properly returning their coins...not to mention if that tube isn't angled right, it eats up my rejects too! I just grab em out, and whatever else is in there. Usually the shortages from Penny equals the coins I get out of there. Haven't found any silver yet though!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is why I ALWAYS fill the coin bag, see what goodies are in that reject tube!
I spoke with a CSR at a TD Bank by me. They said they take all the foreign coin they get in general and stash it in a bucket in the vault. Periodically they send it in to be counted & the currency exchanged. Apparently some account of theirs is credited (probably the bag counts account). Not sure if it is with the coin carriers or their own corporate. They said the process takes a long time to be reconciled internally, like a month or two.

I just reach a few fingers into that tube and scoop out whatever is in there. They are basically ripping off their customers by not properly returning their coins...not to mention if that tube isn't angled right, it eats up my rejects too! I just grab em out, and whatever else is in there. Usually the shortages from Penny equals the coins I get out of there. Haven't found any silver yet though!

OP
OP
SilverMan86

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you so much! That whole process at TD will help a lot of people searching for silver. I have found a few silvers in the rejects. A tip is to go to TD banks that are located in highly residential areas and avenues that are most frequently used (for example, I use a TD on broadway and it seems to be the biggest producer of good rejects). Anyway, thanks all for the info. Good luck to all!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked to ??50 td workers and they all say the same thing the funny money gets sent out! One bank teller told me not to take the funny money!! I allways take it. I got a hand full to day i only did i dump!!

OP
OP
SilverMan86

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually I go in depositing my nickels, then reach in the reject tube for the rejects as if they were mine.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
The story about collecting foreign coins and sending them out for credit is probably accurate. After all, TD is a canadian bank and a lot of the coins that get sorted out either through the magnets or reject shoot is canadian and Euros. Each branch is different , though. I have had one branch manager tell me I was stealing from them by taking the coins (She did not have any problem with the bank "stealing" the coins from their customers). I have had others that have pulled out a pile of rejects stuck in the shoot and hand them to me.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually I go in depositing my nickels, then reach in the reject tube for the rejects as if they were mine.

Same here. The pitch of that tube is so shallow tons of coins gets stuck in there. Half the time, that's why I do so good with reject tray finds -- I get my hand as far up that reject tube as I can.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
The newer generation of machines at TD are not as generous. Coins drop directly into the reject bin from the hopper. No more low angle tube to get caught in.

OP
OP
SilverMan86

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The newer generation of machines at TD are not as generous. Coins drop directly into the reject bin from the hopper. No more low angle tube to get caught in.
Hopefully my TD won't upgrade for a while...

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not familiar with the TD or tubes? What are they? Lots of coins and rings are still under the sand waiting for the right conditions, ie low tide after wind storms.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new ones go in the new branches. It doesn't look like they will replace the old ones until they give out completely.

My favorite dump bank is a TD, their coin sorter still has the old Commerce bank branding on it. Haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread