Upvote 0

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak them in olive oil for a week and try and see if that junk can be rubbed off. I do this for some old dug coins. If there is something very stubborn on there I will rub some baking soda on them while they are still oily so there is some lubrication to keep the baking soda from taking too much meat off.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for advice OtraVez, I'll try this and see if that copper cuprous oxidation.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
olive oil, soak a week, and use old toothbrush.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for info guys. Does it has to be olive oil, or I can use sunflower or grape oil?

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used ketchup on us common date copper coins to polish them. Same pricniple as soaking them in vinegar and salt, but it's a little less harsh than dunking it right into pure vinegar. I think the acidity from the tomatoes helps as well. I don't think it hurts the value of the coins, but I am not entirely sure.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before trying that stuff, try using acetone (nail polish remover). It is a solvent, so it will not harm the coin. They do a good job of getting verdigris off

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I poured the 1949 and 1957 in olive oil. After 2 hours they started to turn red-brown. Is it normal? I tried slight scratching with a toothbrush on them, but the greenish stuff did not come off easily. So I guess, I'll let the soak overnight and will see how they turn out to be in the morning.
As for value question, the 1949 and 1957 Wheat do not carry much of a value, so I testing on them. However the 1921 is pretty valuable to me and I don't want to ruin it or colourize it in a different hue.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some good suggestions, but remember to only clean your common coins. Cleaning any valuable coin will instantly drop it's value by 50% or (sometimes much) more. Collectors are VERY picky about buying only original coins. An ugly original coin is always better than a shiny cleaned coin to a collector.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Then I will just leave 1921 as it is. The ugly green stuff on it is its own certificate of authenticity :laughing7:

But for the other 2 I will observe how the experiment will go and decide how to deal with the situation. Thanks for info, baddbluff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread