CoinDumpers Hunting Log

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CoinDumper's Hunting Log

Hello everyone!

I stumbled onto this website and got hooked on the idea of CRH so here I am! Thought I would start a log of my results. Thanks to all of you for your posts, it has provided a lot of useful reading! Currently in the process of setting up my dump banks and pickup banks.

All the banks in my area use Brinks so that is my only option for searching boxes. This is the first 3 weeks of my hunt.

Results so far:

Pennies:

8 Boxes of Pennies = 29 lbs. of copper Pennies, 38 Wheat Pennies, 2 US Dimes, 54 Canadian Pennies, 1 Bermuda Penny, 1 Penny from Panama, 1 Canadian Georgivs VI D G Rex ET IND IMP Penny.

Dimes:

Box 1: Skunk
$250 CWR: Skunk – 2 Pennies instead of dimes, 2 Canadian Dimes
$250 MWR: Skunk – 1 Canadian Dime
Box 2: Skunk – 1 Canadian Dime

Coinstar Reject Slot:

1 Dime (nothing special 1984, but 10 cents free!) and 1 Canadian Dime.

I hope to keep doing this and get some better results with the Silver hunt. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
4 skunk boxes is rough. I slowly become discouraged after 1 skunk, and usually tend to find a silver in the next box. Maybe there is a lot of competition in your area. You got some wheats there, but the average for US is very low. What is the year of King George VI penny? I know it is a pre 1948, but which one.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Hunt!

I wish you luck on your next set of boxes.

OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
4 skunk boxes is rough. I slowly become discouraged after 1 skunk, and usually tend to find a silver in the next box. Maybe there is a lot of competition in your area. You got some wheats there, but the average for US is very low. What is the year of King George VI penny? I know it is a pre 1948, but which one.

The year is 1941 for the King George. They are all Brinks boxes which people seem not to like so much. Oh well, I will keep trying until I find a silver one and then explore other coins I think. My dump bank already calls me "The Penny Man" Haha :thumbsup:

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried pennies but stopped after a box lots of copper but nothing like nickels

OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pennies:

1 Brinks Box = 11 Wheat Pennies, 1 Canadian, about 2 lbs. copper pennies.

Dimes:

1 Brinks Box = SKUNK

Coinstar Reject Slot:

2 dimes $0.20 nothing special just free.

Not much volume for me... Wish these dime boxes would yield some silver!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious about wheat averages. I get 23 wheats or so per box here, so almost one every other roll. I've heard that's high from people in other regions of the country. It looks like you're averages for wheats are lower than what I'm used to. I'm wondering what the averages look like i other areas, anyone want to add to this?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious about wheat averages. I get 23 wheats or so per box here, so almost one every other roll. I've heard that's high from people in other regions of the country. It looks like you're averages for wheats are lower than what I'm used to. I'm wondering what the averages look like i other areas, anyone want to add to this?

You have a high average, and we live in the same area, I think.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching the video on coinmachines on here and learning brinks gets coins from coinstars which rejects silvers, I dont like the Brinks boxes too much. I have gone threw 8 of them and no Silver to be found but I am averaging about 2 per box with Loomis.

The year is 1941 for the King George. They are all Brinks boxes which people seem not to like so much. Oh well, I will keep trying until I find a silver one and then explore other coins I think. My dump bank already calls me "The Penny Man" Haha :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Found my first silver!!

Well this really made my day! I'll start off with some of my current findings:

Found someone's dump bank. Purchased a box of pennies got a full box of CWR with ZERO wheat cents. Didn't think anything of it but noticed a red line drawn on the side of each wrapper. Went back a week later and asked if they had any half dollars, they said they did! I only had $100 to spare so bought that many. They said they had a few hundred $ more in the vault! Got the rolls and saw the red lines drawn down them.

The teller was very nice and she noticed it too. "There is a red line on these, looks like someone else might have been searching through these." I took them anyways and thanked her very much. I asked if someone drops off coins a lot and she said "No, someone just came in here one day and dropped off a lot of coins." Sure enough - SKUNK

So I am guessing someone just used this branch as a pass through dump? I'm thinking I should buy the rest they have and ask if they could possibly order me a box? Do you think I should avoid this branch because of the dumps I've picked up so far?

Went to my dump bank and checked the coin reject tray at their coin machine. Found $1.00 in Quarters, 1 Dime, 2 Nickels that look like they have been to hell and back, 1 1949 Canadian Nickel (King George). Cool!

Went to one pick up bank and picked up another box of dimes. The one teller see's me all the time there and was very friendly and asked me if I have found anything good. Told her the truth - I have not. She asked what I was looking for - Again I was honest, they give me sealed Brinks boxes each time so what do I care? I told her I was looking for mercury dimes, silver dimes, mint errors, and just anything that looked interesting. She asked how to know what a silver dime or a mercury dime was. So I told her anything before 1965 is something I keep or anything that looks interesting.

I know, I know - you all will hate me for letting her in. BUT after I told her, she said "Oh, if I see any I'll hold them for you!" AWESOME! So sure she could just keep them, but like I said I only ask for a box a week from this branch and they come sealed, so if they aren't sealed anymore I'll know what's up. But I am staying positive about it.

Got my Brinks box of dimes and thought I had another Skunk with 2 Canadian dimes. Then I checked the dates: 1965 and 1966 Both 80% Silver!!!

Awesome! I am SO Happy!

Recap for those that don't like to read stories:

Halves:

$100.00 CWR = SKUNK

Dimes:

1 Brinks Box = 2 80% Silver Canadian 1965, 1966

Last edited:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian silver saved ya man!
Keep those old nickels, they will have a good value in a little while.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this going to be a true diary of you hunts / finds? If so, I hope you keep it going. Very cool idea. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
crhstreetwalker
Welcome! What state or general area do you CRH in?

I CRH in the Midwest

Solid Rolls
Is this going to be a true diary of you hunts / finds? If so, I hope you keep it going. Very cool idea. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

I am going to try and keep this as an on going diary/log. That way there is only on thread on this forum from me where you can read about my finds!

Well this week was interesting! Found some silver!

Nickels:

Brinks Box 1: SKUNK
Brinks Box 2: 4 War Nickels!

Between the two boxes of nickels I found 45 pre-1960 nickels. Just keeping them for fun. 7 Canadian Nickels (2 were 99.9% nickel!). 4 2009 Nickels. $1 Estados Unidos Mexicanos (1 Peso??)

Halves:

$364.50 CWR: SKUNK

So I went back to the bank where I picked up what I beleived to be someone elses dump for their halves when they were passing through. I was right. All Skunk, all wrappers were line drawn down the side. The teller was happy to get them out of the vault. I asked if I could order a box from this branch to which she replied "I'm sorry we can't order them." So I said thanks and left.

This seemed sort of strange because I've picked up pennies from this branch before and ordered dimes/pennies from another branch of the same bank. I think I will ask again at a different branch/teller and get the real scoop.

Went to another bank and picked up $4.50 in halves that is all they had - SKUNK.

It stinks not finding silver, but it IS fun to see people's marks. So far I have found the following marks:
- Shiny Green paint
- Indy 500
- Purple Sharpie Line
- Black Sharpie Line

I've joined 3 banks in my area now and 1 credit union, they are really all I can go to because of their hours being open matching up with my working hours. The credit union is my dump bank, they can't order coins for their customers but they are one of only 2 places here that have a coin machine for their customers (without fee). They don't mind me bringing in coins and are very friendly (atleast for now).

I can only get about 3-4 boxes of any types of coins per week as I am not able to dump enough. I don't want to wear out my welcome with my dump bank. I go there 3 days a week to unload my 3-4 boxes of coins.

Even if I can get boxes of halves I worry about the tellers. Almost every teller at all the branches in my area are women. Small girls or older women. I can't imagine them moving around a box of halves. Time will tell. I'll see if one of my banks can get me a box of halves, If not I'll try and continue to have fun with what I can get.

That's all for this week, thanks for reading and the comments!

Last edited:

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice man! congrats! i remember the first time I saw silver it was a 1967 half..I couldn't believe it was happening right at that moment!..i was in my car opening my first ever box! As soon as I got hold of my first two boxes, I was dying to find the next parking lot and there I was..I never left that parking lot until I finished looking thru my first 2 boxes..:laughing7: it was a moment to remember indeed..congrats again and I wish that the silver gods will bless your quest!! :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The Indy 500 is not a mark, but a coin made to sell for more than $.50 to a person who is interested. The green paint may be TimZim's mark.

Thanks for the reply. I dug through them all before I dump them and found the "Indy 500". One has been dumped already but I do have this one. I've found 2 marked "Indy 500" now.

It is a bicentennial (1776-1996), no mint mark, not silver. Doesn't look like an error coin or anything special? Are you pulling my leg?:tongue3: Anything else I should look for on it? Again thanks for the reply.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a bicentennial (1776-1996), no mint mark, not silver. Doesn't look like an error coin or anything special? Are you pulling my leg?:tongue3: Anything else I should look for on it? Again thanks for the reply.

What I am saying is a fan of Indy 500 put a sticker of it and is trying to either:

a) rip off someone by telling them it is a rare coin
b) sell it to another fan of Indy 500 who may or may not be a coin collector

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What I am saying is a fan of Indy 500 put a sticker of it and is trying to either:

a) rip off someone by telling them it is a rare coin
b) sell it to another fan of Indy 500 who may not be a coin collector

Ahhh. Thanks for the info. The two I have seen are acutally written "Indy 500" with a black sharpie on the face of the half dollar coins. I am thinking it is someone marking them from Indiana(?).

On a seperate note, I should have chosen the username "Filthy Fingers" they are sooo dirty after searching through a box of coins! :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

CoinDumper

Greenie
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, this was a slow week for CRH. I have a pattern down for my orders and memorial day screwed up my rotation of ordering at each bank (I do it in person). So I didn't order any boxes this week. I did get to dump a bit though :thumbsup:

Today I went to a bank branch where I do my main banking and have not yet asked about halves. I did get 2 boxes on pennies and 1 box of dimes here in the past at which time the teller had said it was OK to do it this time but that they aren't really supposed to order boxes for customers because it costs them money (blah). So today I asked about halves and purchased $300.00 CWR worth (they had $700.00). As she put them into my bag I saw some of the rolls had X's written on them. That made me sad thinking this is the second bank where I am picking up someone elses dumps.

Got home and started going through them. 5 rolls had the X's. What do you know I found a 1969 40% in one of the X marked rolls!! Haha, all the rest were skunk! Still made me so happy. Only silver half I have found so far and it was from a roll which someone dumped! So it was a good week for me afterall!

Halves:

$300.00 CWR = 1969 40%

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread