Gilmores COPPER LOCKER - 360lbs of copper pennies

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilmore's COPPER LOCKER - 360lbs of copper pennies

BigHeed's penny video inspired me to "show off" a bit. Here is what I've been up to, and here is my hoard. I go by weight, not by FV, but I think it's around $415 face value in pennies, around 360 pounds.

Personally, I think copper pennies are a sceaming investment. Anytime you aquire somthing for less than what it's worth, you win. And a metal like copper, that has withstood the test of time...is purely a win when you get currently .024 cents for every .01. Remember 1964 with silver...history repeats. When a copper penny is worth .20 for every .01...or more...you WILL look back.

I have a huge silver postion, 2 ounces gold bullion, and am planning on running the Ryedale to get my 500 pounds of copper pennies a year for at least the next 2 years while still adding gold and silver each year.

$100K here I come.

Wanted to add: Each of the little boxes has 10 lbs pennies in it

Attachments

• DSCI1126.JPG
    DSCI1126.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 885
  • DSCI1128.JPG
    DSCI1128.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,811
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you separate out the Wheats and IH's or are they included with the hoard?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Gilmore. I'm thinkin about buyin a Ryedale too... Are those free US Postal Service flat rate shipping boxes you are storing them in? Way to go - Let the US Gov't pay for your storage containers. Sweet.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just started the copper penny s .....WOW it'll take me 20 yhears to geta pile like that !!!!!! I need a sorter too. that way it'll take only 15 years !!

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do a minimum of two boxes a week. My supply bank will give me extra if they see the dimes that have been ordered are all new. Then I find as many CWR's as I can. I purchased a copper/silver sorter from Coinalyzer.com and it works great. All '82's and cents too dirty to discern go through. I then put them into $50 bags. I have 12 bags so far. Just this weekend, I found some CWR's that were all pre-'82's. That helps a lot. I do sort out wheaties and indians.

OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you separate out the Wheats and IH's or are they included with the hoard?

I havent seperated them out yet, project for my kids/grandkids perhaps. I dont know much about coins, all I really know about is the 1909 svdb and IH's. I have recovered all canadian from the hoard though, am growing quite fond of hoarding those too...they make a different sound and I love it. I compare it to hearing a 40% and 90% half dollar as opposed to clad.

OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Gilmore. I'm thinkin about buyin a Ryedale too... Are those free US Postal Service flat rate shipping boxes you are storing them in? Way to go - Let the US Gov't pay for your storage containers. Sweet.

I believe on the box it says only use for Priority mail, if not, breaking a law...blah blah blah (paraphrased). I INTEND to use these boxes for Prioity Mail...I just dont KNOW when...could be in 20 years for all we know. :laughing7:

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilmore must be Happy, isn't that right Gilmore Happy? :laughing9:

Seriously, congrats on your copper hoarding, the way you have them all organized and displayed is nice, hope you can sell all that copper bullion and purchase some nice AU(Gold), nothing like turning copper into gold!
HH,
Buff
p.s. I guess Phoenix is not completely dry afterall!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the past several months I have been sorting through at least $100 in pennies, by hand, every week. I have been selling most of the copper for two times face. Today I went to sell pennies and my buyer said he'd buy what I had but that he was getting out of buying for a while because the price of copper is going down. In the long haul I don't think he is going to lose but he seems skittish about buying any more pennies at this time. I have been taking my profits and buying silver and saving for a big gold purchase. I guess I'm going to slow down a little and see what developes. I don't feel I will lose out on what I have accumulated and I have certainly gained on the silver that I have bought at half price. I had been thinking about taking a break from sorting so I guess now's the time. The only problem is that it will slow down my silver stacking. ??? Anyway, good luck to you all and keep on stacking no matter what it is.

OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What competition are you in??

National Geographic Bee; by Thursday, I meant the 24th. That's why I'm not CRHing right now. I will be doing 2 boxes per week in halves the week after. My prediction was wrong, still 0% precipitation on Tuesday 22nd for you.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pile of pennys I would love to get rid of??? Over 100 lbs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread