First War Nickel!

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a 1943P while searching about $20 worth of CWR's. I know it isn't a big deal to find a $1.00 coin, but my first find was fun. This goes with the three buffaloes I found a couple weeks ago. It's pretty tarnished, but overall, still pretty decent shape for a 70 year old coin. I've been thorugh about $700 in nickels since the start of the year, so I really haven't had much luck with nickels. (-:

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your first war nickel, gotta love them silvers, especially ones that people do not know much about... people generally do not think of a nickel as silver, but the government issued silver war nickels from 1942-1945!
HH
Buff

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
War nickels are almost always a kind of greenish/grey/weird color (i think because of the manganese in them). Sometimes you can even tell by edge seaching the roll, like half dollars, because of the weird color, but always double check for the dates. Congrats on your first war nickel!

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always check the date !! dound a mint condition 1945 p a couple months ago . looked better than a 2012 !!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
The war nickels are fairly hard to find, I'm glad if I find 1 in a box. I always check the dates on all nickels too because 1939D&S and 1950D are worth as much or more than the war nickels in the book. I have also found old nickels in perfect condition that look as good as new and then check ones that looks old and they are new.

Good luck on finding more now that you have your first one. 43P is the one that I find the most.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm hoping I broke the seal on the war nickel vault!! lol. While my goal is to find super valuable stuff, I don't do much volume, maybe a box or two a week of pennies or nickels. II'm not likely to find much valueable stuff, but I keep trying. These little finds are quite fun for a newbie like me (-:

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u don t have to be a newbie to get excited about a war nickel !!! i ve found full rolls of silver halves and still get excited over a wheatie or war !!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a AU 1942 S about a month ago. It looked like a 1982 until I flipped over the side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread