Coin markers, share your marks here, we can keep track of where our coins go!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seeing how this topic will turn out, I know many people have mixed feelings about marking coins,
but for those who do, share your marks here, a picture would be great!
Please do not start arguments about marked coins-- that would be off topic.​

I'll start off, I mark only a select few coins per half dollar box marked:
"B"
"Buff"
"Buff Boy",
I'd estimate about 500 to be out in circulation over the past half a year. I've gotten messages from some folks on here saying they got my dumps, a perfect example of why we mark coins, to see where they go. I've personally not gotten many of my dumps back, but people over 150 miles away have.

HH
Buff
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard anyone mention this, but don't the markings wear off? I've found halves with colored laser paint almost totally worn off, which doesn't bode well for a mere sharpie mark.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the marks do wear off over time, though should last quite some time, long enough for you to likely get your half dollars a few times... i've gotten a few of my OLDER half dollar marks back, kind of weird since back then I marked about 30 or so, and have gotten some of the same coins back several times, could be explaining my skunk boxes too...
HH
Buff

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never marked coins !! i ran into lots of marked coins in my last 4 boxes...green stripe . think i'm going to start marking !!!just to see who gets them !!!!

simplyAARON

Greenie
May 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, after getting skunked on a few boxes, I get a little frustrated... so I have taken those nice shiny 2011 halves that I've come across (oddly enough, there have been a LOT of them) and write NIFC on the obverse in big letters. Other times, I give Kennedy a big "smiley face" on some of those gem uncirculated 1976 or 1971's I come across. I've seen dots in ears on a lot of mine and I cant help but wonder who that is!!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just went thru 3 boxes. In one of them I found at least 10 of the 2/12 marks lol

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didnt take too long for those to make it back into the wild. Did you find anything of value in those boxes?

Found 1 68' 40%er and a batting cage token :dontknow:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is mine, although it's not a half, its still coming from America. Anyone recognizes this one?

Attachments

• Marked-penny.jpg
    Marked-penny.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 89

panhandler

May 6, 2012
Pace, Florida. in the panhandle
Detector(s) used
whites prism 950
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems like a colmplete waste of time,you need to get out more.marking them why? you cant see the mark till you open the box.if they were re packed with other coins from reg depositers then your marked coins are just mixed up with the new deposits after there sorted, I guess if you have nothing else to do its ok, just seems pointless.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people generally do not mark coins other than halves, though I came across a marked penny this weekend too, scanner is broken, so i'll describe it... a gray trace of lincoln on the front and "nancy" written on the back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread