$1000 boxes of halves?

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have seen mention of them....is there really such a thing? $500 dollar boxes are already heavy as hell...I would assume you would need a crane for a $1000 box.

Also, it seems when ordering boxes through the bank, they are getting them from the armored car companies.
Is it possible to order direct from Federal Reserve banks? If so, would I be more likely to get newer uncirculated halves? Or would they just be the standard stuff I get already on the local level?

Upvote 0

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
I dont think there are $1000 boxes. Possibly loose coin bags of $1000 are available. Not sure.

Ive also wondered about direct ordering but you would probably have to pay more to receive their
service. For example, the banks pay a contractual amount per month for the Service. And what
purpose would they have to bring you an order, for free. They have to make something to warrant
their service, since they are independant businesses. Even if you could, Id imagine they would only
deliver it to a bank anyway ( security reasons etc). May as well just have the banks do it.

If anyone has any actual information on this, let us know . This is just my guessing and opinions.

In any case.. happy searchin'

(Just realized you meant FED directly, even then youd have to pay something to get them to you, shipping/delivery etc.) And like mentioned below, they are probably going to send out more recently minted coin.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I would guess that if you could order from the Fed what you would get is a box of all the same year. Probably 1999 or later.

I haven't heard of 1000 boxes. What most are referencing is that some banks will only order by the 1000 at a time or 2 boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread