Messed up Roll count

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Just picked up a sealed box of halves and noticed right away that some rolls were shorter than others. I have openned 22 rolls so far and 7 were short 1 coin but then 5 had 21 in them. I see at least 5 more short ones and a few more taller ones so maybe it will be close to even at the end, plus I found already 1 1968 so if I'm short 4-5 dollars I'll figure it as a wash. I have never gotten a box with more than 1 or 2 off before.

Upvote 0

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a box of halves the other day and it was a skunk and a roll short. I called the bank and they gave me a $10 credit to my account. I could tell because there was way too much room in the box and the rolls were smashing all around against each other.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I ended up with 9 with 19 and 8 with 21 so the whole box was only short 50 cents. I will tell the Bank teller just to let them know but its not enough to complain about. I openned 5 short rolls before I got to one with 21, glad it almost evened out.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
People always claim that CRH'ing is a risk free hobby. Well, these are one of the risks. It is not worth complaining about - neither was the short roll (ParisRoubaix). Complaints here and complaints there, and the bank might decide that it isn't worth the hassle. Sometimes you have to take your lumps.

To the OP: Let me guess, it was a Loomis box?

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People always claim that CRH'ing is a risk free hobby. Well, these are one of the risks. It is not worth complaining about - neither was the short roll (ParisRoubaix). Complaints here and complaints there, and the bank might decide that it isn't worth the hassle. Sometimes you have to take your lumps.

To the OP: Let me guess, it was a Loomis box?

Diver,
I disagree 100%. I paid for $500 in halves, why should I only get $490? If you took $500 out of the ATM and they gave you $490 you'd be fine with that, I think not? They make plenty of money off me when I swipe my debit card several times per month. Yes it was a Loomis box and yes, it was about the 14th skunk in a row. Eff them if they want to cut me off, I have better sources for half dollars and the boxes always have 50 rolls.
PR

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Diver_Down, I would not complain, now if it were $30 or so, maybe... I put it this way, I score silver once in a while, more than enough to cover the losses I've had in the past, if you complain about getting shorted, why not just cut off your order from the specific bank before they cut you off..
Buff

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I had a box that had an EXTRA roll !!! about 2 months ago . I didnt give it back....and if its short up to $10 I make up for it with the silver finds..not worth complaining abou unless it keeps happening !

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it was off $20 i would not say any thing. I have been short rolls of halfs be for.Its all good. As long as your having fun!!!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cost of doing business. Just move on and take note of the courier. In my neck of the woods Brinks boxed halves are ALWAYS short $1-$2.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
Diver is right, if you are going to count every coin in every roll or box , and complain to the banks you are going to have to find alot of different banks to deal with. The banks have the upper hand, if you make waves they will drop you. But do as you will. Good luck and happy Hunting.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I never had any intention of complaining about being short, or I would have never openned them. The bank that I got them from is my best pickup bank, they order coins that they keep just in case I want any. They are also the Bank that I did complain to when the boxes kept being broken open. I was just saying that it happenend because I have never seen a box have so many rolls be miscounted before.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I never had any intention of complaining about being short, or I would have never openned them. The bank that I got them from is my best pickup bank, they order coins that they keep just in case I want any. They are also the Bank that I did complain to when the boxes kept being broken open. I was just saying that it happenend because I have never seen a box have so many rolls be miscounted before.

And was the box from Loomis? (Paris answered the question above, even though it wasn't directed at him) From my experience, short rolls are to be expected from Loomis. I consider it a "box fee" which is fine by me so long as silver is culled.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
And was the box from Loomis? (Paris answered the question above, even though it wasn't directed at him) From my experience, short rolls are to be expected from Loomis. I consider it a "box fee" which is fine by me so long as silver is culled.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they use Loomis, it was not Brinks. I don't care if a box is short a couple of coins, I have just never seen a box with that many rolls messed up before was the only point I was making. I wouldn't hold the bank on account of the coin carrier, they are real good to me.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for all the great advice but, maybe if you would read what I said and then you could be able to understand that I never said anything about complaining to the bank in the first place.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made it sound if the count was off more you would complain ?? Never bite the hand that feeds you. Plus the guys on here don't know how bad it is in fla. Good luck on that 2nd nick book.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all get messed up rolls from time to time. Unfortunately it's all part of the game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread