THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the other day i stopped in a bank for halves. the teller tells me she s getting some from another branch on monday but she is not going to be there so to come in tuesday ...........
so i go in today....she says..." your here for the halves ? give me a few minutes ..........I HAVE TO VERIFY THEM " i'm thinking .. verify ...verify what ? so there i am ...watching her open every roll ( 6 ) and a envolope ( $4 ) right in front of me ! ! ! verify...........more like searching them RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME !!!!!!!!!!! so she """ counts """" to make sure $10 each roll ........opens the envolope ...SILVER .....puts everything down and pushes the rolls my way and says " $60 " ! ?!??!>?!?!? I ask about the $4 in the envolope........." I'm going to keep these in my draw " ......................REALLY....DID SHE JUST COIN HUNT IN FRONT OF ME AND HAND ME THE DUMPS ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then she asks........" do you want to leave your number ...we can call you when we get more ??" really ...........I've had tellers tell me i can t have that single coin in the tray.....i've even held the door as i walked into a bank as a fellow CRH walked out with all the halves......but this.......this is a first ! ! ! !
and then when i went down the road to the coin machine.......$ 1. 50 short !!! REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thank god i found 4 dimes from a box i got from a different bank. stopped the bleeding a little. I do have 6 boxes of halves i have to pick up in an hour ...........hope they make me forget about this morning !!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am of the opinion that tellers have every right to CRH. I do wish they wouldn't do it right in front of me, and it is frustrating when they do. However, I do not believe that a CRHer has any more right to coin(s) in the teller's possession than the teller. In fact, maybe a bit less of a right as the teller scored them first. IMO, thats pretty much like you being behind me in line at a bank, seeing me score some silver, and then demanding that I relinquish the silver to you simply because you want it. Banks are not coin shops. CRHers are not entitled to buy individual coins/rolls/boxes just because they want to. Its great when banks extend this privilege (and yes it is a privilege, not an entitlement) to us, and we should be very thankful when we receive this privilege. Banks are in business to make money. We CRHers cost them money every time we walk into their establishment. Its amazing to me that we have the opportunities to CRH as much as we do. Think about it...if you owned a business, would you continuously cater to clients/customers that did nothing but cost you money every time they walked in through the door? Of course not.

In this particular case, I do not belive the OP had even a little ground to stand on as he didn't even have an account at that particular bank. He did however, have every right to refuse to buy the teller's rejects. It is possible - likely even - that by whining to the manager he could have scored the silver. Back during my college days I worked a few jobs in retail and whining customers were usually allowed to get their way, often to the extent of violating store policy. On the other hand, I have also seen whining customers "get shown the door" and asked to never return, and store policies changed because of it. Pick your battles wisely.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well written statement ArkieBassMan. Banks have been very good to us CRHers, so we need to pick and choose our battles and decide how far we really want to take our arguments. Don't bite the hand that feeds and don't get too greedy when it comes to coins. Be thankful for what you get.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
no..no account...and yes i took the $60 and it was short $ 1.50 when i cashed it in at the coin machine down the road !!!! just picked up my 6 boxes of haves .....hope there good !!!

now I understand why Tim has 7 accounts. I think that having an account gives you a bit more rights to complain about such unpleasant activity going on in front of you.From some perspective it almost looks insulting that she deliberately opened them in front of CRH and pulled the silver away. She could have done that before, just to keep things cool. I mean if the teller is not ought to sell silver coins, he/she can at least keep them aside. It is very sad that some people like to hurt others by doing this.

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly !!! ignorant right in front of me . but i didnt have an account so i did not have a battle ......just mad that it happened right in front of me !!! after she told me to come back for them ........ i don t mind a teller taking what they find ....perks of the job...but to just search in front of me and put the silver to the side and say" i'll keep these..do you want to leave your number if we get more we'll call " come on .....ignorant isn t the worn !!!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
exactly !!! ignorant right in front of me . but i didnt have an account so i did not have a battle ......just mad that it happened right in front of me !!! after she told me to come back for them ........ i don t mind a teller taking what they find ....perks of the job...but to just search in front of me and put the silver to the side and say" i'll keep these..do you want to leave your number if we get more we'll call " come on .....ignorant isn t the worn !!!

I think alot of us have had a similar situation in some way, I've had a teller go back to her till by the drivethrough window and pick out some to keep and put them back in her tray and bring the other halves up to me at the walkin counter, I didn't ask about the ones she kept, came back in 3 days later and asked a different teller if she had any loose or rolled halves and she pull ed out a ziplock baggy with 16.50 inside, she opened the bag and counted them in front of me and put them in a envelope. When i got to the car I looked at them (2 90% and 8 40%). So just because 1 teller picks out silver, doesn't mean they all do. I usually say nothing and just come back and try again, has worked for me everytime.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be nice and now you have a great dump bank!!Its just about the silver.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes you did, you could have walked out of the bank and not purchased the clad she left for you. Everybody seems to think that tellers have the rights to the coins in their trays and drawers. THEY DO NOT!!!! That money belongs to the bank and not them. Now if the teller chooses to do her sniping while nobody is in line then fine by me, BUT DO NOT DO IT IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not only rude, face it they know what were are doing, but it probably violates at least a few bank policies along the way.

I would actually open an account with this bank and make it the only dump bank I would use. I would literally beat that horse until it was dead and they asked me to leave. It would even be worth it to open a business account and pay a small fee just for the rights to do just that. After all, you own a Car Wash, Laundry Mat and a vending service which operates on a coin basis only......

It is things like this that really whiz me off.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because they go through them does not mean they know what they are looking for. Yesterday I bought the only five rolls that a small town bank had, the teller told me that they had all been gone through. Whattaya know, 2 40% ers! I have found that most non CRH types don't know about the 40% coins.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not believe that a CRHer has any more right to coin(s) in the teller's possession than the teller. In fact, maybe a bit less of a right as the teller scored them first.

I would have to respectfully disagree. A teller is the employee of the bank therefore he/she is working while at the bank. I'm sure nowhere in his/her employment agreement is anything that states the ability and/or freedom to search for silver for PERSONAL gain while on the clock. The customer, regardless of membership, has more right than a teller to those coins. Why? Because the customer will be "paying" face value for the coins. The teller did not legally purchase the coins at that point in time when she held them for herself. That would be withholding bank assets from a customer. I'm sure the bank would frown upon that. It would be different if every teller was required to purchase out of pocket his/her tray at the start of every shift. That would make it so all the coins in the tray would be owned by the teller. Then you could say that he/she has a right to the coins but that is not the case. It boils down to this: A teller handles the bank's money not theirs.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, the tellers are in control. The debate that we all have is fine, but is purely academic and won't change what tellers do or what we can do in response. We should focus our discussion on what works and doesn't work for dealing with this issue rather than why it should or shouldn't happen.

Right or wrong, some tellers will choose to withhold coins or bills that we see in their tray. When that happens, we have the following choices (Please add your own suggestions):

1) Confront the teller and insist that they either exchange coin for cash or that they bring a supervisor over to explain to you why they won't
2) Approach a supervisor on your own to discuss it
3) Refuse the clad and walk away
4) Buy the clad and walk away

Circumstances and confidence guide which approach is right for each incident.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally choose the high road and walk away, its easier to laugh it off and think to myself "Wow! That teller sure hates their life, and if it really sucks that bad they probably should keep that silver dime."

I figure that I have found lots of silver and am going to find loads more, a silver coin here or there that the sniping tellers refuse to sell me isnt going to make that big of a difference to me.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
If that were to EVER happen to me I would immediately walk into the branch managers office, and raise some hell. I can see tellers doing that, but wasting a customers time, and taking away coins in front of them. bull

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, if you're not a member of the bank, then they don't see you as a customer. I think we've all had this happen to us at one point or another, just part of the game. Cash out and move on.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When this happens to me I bring my dumps back with the rapers marked 1964. Its funny because they go and search it right after

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped off 5 rolls of halves today. The teller asked me if they were all Kennedy's....I told them I thought so. She handed me $50 and them she started opening all of the rolls to search them.
We all know there is nothing in those rolls worth more than $0.50. At least she will have some fun searching the clad thinking she might find something good.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Dropped off 5 rolls of halves today. The teller asked me if they were all Kennedy's....I told them I thought so. She handed me $50 and them she started opening all of the rolls to search them.
We all know there is nothing in those rolls worth more than $0.50. At least she will have some fun searching the clad thinking she might find something good.

Should have told the teller that you were cashing in your grandfathers collection.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say this, if it's a bank that you dump or pick up at, don't burn your bridges. Sometimes (for me everytime) it's best to just take what you get and go. Piss them off and you may loose a bank thats allready helping you one way or the other. It's ussually not worth a couple of halves, is it, to cause a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread