THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the other day i stopped in a bank for halves. the teller tells me she s getting some from another branch on monday but she is not going to be there so to come in tuesday ...........
so i go in today....she says..." your here for the halves ? give me a few minutes ..........I HAVE TO VERIFY THEM " i'm thinking .. verify ...verify what ? so there i am ...watching her open every roll ( 6 ) and a envolope ( $4 ) right in front of me ! ! ! verify...........more like searching them RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME !!!!!!!!!!! so she """ counts """" to make sure $10 each roll ........opens the envolope ...SILVER .....puts everything down and pushes the rolls my way and says " $60 " ! ?!??!>?!?!? I ask about the $4 in the envolope........." I'm going to keep these in my draw " ......................REALLY....DID SHE JUST COIN HUNT IN FRONT OF ME AND HAND ME THE DUMPS ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then she asks........" do you want to leave your number ...we can call you when we get more ??" really ...........I've had tellers tell me i can t have that single coin in the tray.....i've even held the door as i walked into a bank as a fellow CRH walked out with all the halves......but this.......this is a first ! ! ! !
and then when i went down the road to the coin machine.......$ 1. 50 short !!! REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thank god i found 4 dimes from a box i got from a different bank. stopped the bleeding a little. I do have 6 boxes of halves i have to pick up in an hour ...........hope they make me forget about this morning !!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you want to get a part-time job at the bank ... Let them pay you to CRH!

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no..no account...and yes i took the $60 and it was short $ 1.50 when i cashed it in at the coin machine down the road !!!! just picked up my 6 boxes of haves .....hope there good !!!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the tellers take a LONG time to get your halves - like 5 rolls or so - and they are not going into the vault - then yes - they are Verifying that you don't get what you want. I swear this happens to me at a certain branch.

Horrible customer server, but excellent opportunist. Maybe you should marry her??

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you take the $60 in dumps that she gave you?

Yes make all your dumps at this bank. That teller will be salivating at your dumped rolls of halves. Little would she know that she would be in for a major letdown. Imagine the look on her face when you show up with $500+ in half dollar rolls. Walk away knowing that you will ruin her day. :)

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very first roll of dimes held a 1946 . and 5 rolls into my first box of halves....1 1968 !!! so maybe the day will end good !! 2nd to last roll had a 1964 !! so now i have to wait for the 10 year old to get home so he can be mad and then pick out his three boxes !!!!!

Last edited:

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a teller try this on me once. She told me she had $110 in halves. She pulled out 11 rolls and opened a couple up that turned out to be solid silver. She put those aside and slid 9 rolls across and said here's $90. I said "Ma'am you said I could buy $110 and I 'd like to buy $110 dollars worth." She made some comment along the lines of needing to get rich too and handed me $20 back. I said thank you and went straight to the manager and told her what had just transpired. She went up to the teller line and came back a few minutes later with the 2 rolls of silver which she sold to me with apologies.

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the way my kid and i do it......enders up are mine and enders down are his.....2nd box has a 1964 ender staring down at me !!!!!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, when its that obvious what they are doing bring the manager into it. Odds are you will walk out with your silver.

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no not new. started 10 years ago with pennies and the occassional halves !! first 3 rolls of hakves i've ever bought ...1 roll of Bank rolls 1964 and the other two had 15 more 40% and 5 more 90% !!! 2 years ago 1 roll franklins 1 roll of walkers and 1 roll of 64's all from the same bank when silver was $16 an oz I sold !!! but never have i had the teller search 2 feet in front of me !!!!!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a teller try this on me once. She told me she had $110 in halves. She pulled out 11 rolls and opened a couple up that turned out to be solid silver. She put those aside and slid 9 rolls across and said here's $90. I said "Ma'am you said I could buy $110 and I 'd like to buy $110 dollars worth." She made some comment along the lines of needing to get rich too and handed me $20 back. I said thank you and went straight to the manager and told her what had just transpired. She went up to the teller line and came back a few minutes later with the 2 rolls of silver which she sold to me with apologies.

That's the one thing that infuriates me about this hobby. Some tellers believe they can choose what to give and act like it's their money that they are handling. Well it's the bank's money not theirs. I had a teller once pretend to look for "special" dates for me when I asked for halves. She came back from the vault moments later with $100 in cut BWR halves. Needless to say I do some of my dumps at that bank.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'm going to say might ruffle a little feathers, but they're not 'your' coins until the money exchanges hands. Yes, it would make me mad too if that happened to me but I'd bite my tongue and turn them into my biggest dump bank. Of course, you need to make sure you have an account at that dump bank because some banks won't deal with non-account holders, especially if you start bring in large volumes of coin. Don't create too much of a fuss about it, next thing you know banks in your area might say NO COINS to anyone without a business account. Unless explicitly stated in your bank's schedule of fees/brochures/paperwork, they have no obligation to provide non-business customers with coins in high volumes like some of us ask for.

Also, I'm not sure if you told the tellers that you CRH, but this is the main reason why I NEVER tell any bank employees that I CRH. If they didn't know about silver coins before you walked into the branch and told them you're looking for silver, they do now and some of them will start hunting on their own.

By no means am I a veteran CRH'er. I have learned lots of valuable lessons throughout the 5 or so years I've been doing this. It takes time to find out what works and what doesn't work.

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when asked i state" i look for unusual coins and mint errors . my 10 year old found a 2011 dime 2 months ago that was a mint error ....minted without ridges.....so i look for things like that " usually gets them on the dime and how much its worth. then they ask if its worth it and i say anytime spent with my son is worth it..even if i have to go through 10k in coin before i find something interesting !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread