Skunked on a MWR box of pennies?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the heck does this happen? I average about 20 wheats per box around here and about 20 - 30% of all pennies are copper. I hit these averages just about everytime, or close to them.

Went through a box of pennies yesterday, NOTHING. no wheaties, 2 coppers out of the whole box. The funny thing is there were no 2012's, this was a solid mix of 1983's to 2011's. Even the 1982's were gone! I could see this out of customer wrapped rolls, but for a mint wrapped roll of pennies to be this skunked means someone dumped a HUGE amount of pennies all at once.

Finally got a good box of halves, I needed it after the bad luck I've been having. first box, 11 40%ers. dang I forgot how good that feels 8-) Second box looks to be skunk but I ain't done yet

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen at least 4 times. Get a box of pennies and it's pure 1983 - Present. I'd put my money on a heavy copper hoarder dumping all his Zincolns somewhere upstream.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The first time that happened to me was a couple of years ago. I hand sort cents. As I proceeded through the box, I couldn't believe not a single copper had turned up. Towards the end of the box, I was so flustered that I asked out loud, "What sort of freak keeps every copper cent?"

Then I realized, that I'm that sort of freak.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time that happened to me was a couple of years ago. I hand sort cents. As I proceeded through the box, I couldn't believe not a single copper had turned up. Towards the end of the box, I was so flustered that I asked out loud, "What sort of freak keeps every copper cent?"

Then I realized, that I'm that sort of freak.

LOL :laughing7:

db23

Mar 18, 2011
I did a box last weekend that produced 119 coppers, balance was zinc.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been skunked twice on penny boxes.

20 Wheats per box is a great average though! I get about 9-10 per box here.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Penny Box Skunk is by far the worst of all skunks.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 3 or 4 boxes of those myself.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The Penny Box Skunk is by far the worst of all skunks.

If you search for copper, a box will only take 5 min. to search. I don't . Still, a skunk penny box isn't bad, the worst is a skunk dime box (4 boxes for me).

Last edited:

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sagittarius98, do you date search the copper by hand? It definitely takes more than 5 minutes to do a box.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I hand sort boxes of pennies usually 2 boxes per week. I have never had this happen to me. Were they CWR'S?

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep I hand sort too. It takes awhile since I search for errors, probably about 3-4 hours. It's the pits man, I'm telling ya

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sagittarius98, do you date search the copper by hand? It definitely takes more than 5 minutes to do a box.

I don't search for copper at all. I said if someone does, it could take about 5 (maybe 10) minutes to search. I hand search to look for wheats, IHs, and Canadian.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To properly search a box of pennies, it can take a couple hours. No way can it be done in 5 to 10 minutes. It takes time to hand sort, look for copper & other coins like Wheats, to roll up the copper, etc.. Of all coins, pennies are the most time consuming.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
To properly search a box of pennies, it can take a couple hours. No way can it be done in 5 to 10 minutes. It takes time to hand sort, look for copper & other coins like Wheats, to roll up the copper, etc.. Of all coins, pennies are the most time consuming.

I was talking about penny hoarders who just care about copper and use sorters. It takes several hours for me, too.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
I don't search for copper at all. I said if someone does, it could take about 5 (maybe 10) minutes to search. I hand search to look for wheats, IHs, and Canadian.

I believe you estimate is off, you should sort a box of pennies by hand and time it. Then get back to everyone who has the experience.

I'm sorry for jacking the thread, I couldn't imagine being skunked on a box of pennies. That's a lot of effort to not have anything to show for it

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe you estimate is off, you should sort a box of pennies by hand and time it. Then get back to everyone who has the experience.

I'm sorry for jacking the thread, I couldn't imagine being skunked on a box of pennies. That's a lot of effort to not have anything to show for it

Let's keep this discussion aside and no longer hijack the thread.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you all for feeling my pain! It is a lot of time and effort to search a full box for coppers, wheats, and errors by hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread