How to use my Red Book to assess my CRH finds

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm trying to gauge the mintages of some coins, but I can't figure out how the red book works. I found a 1970S nickel (I did another post on this) but when I look at the book, there is one line that has 1970S and the mintage number is in parenthesis. The next line is blank (no date or mintmark) but there is a mintage figure and it is much higher than the prior line. what does a blank mean line mean and what do the numbers in the parenthesis mean? I tried looking in the "how to use this book section, but I didn't see anythign about this.
Thanks all!

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm trying to gauge the mintages of some coins, but I can't figure out how the red book works. I found a 1970S nickel (I did another post on this) but when I look at the book, there is one line that has 1970S and the mintage number is in parenthesis. The next line is blank (no date or mintmark) but there is a mintage figure and it is much higher than the prior line. what does a blank mean line mean and what do the numbers in the parenthesis mean? I tried looking in the "how to use this book section, but I didn't see anythign about this.
Thanks all!

In this case, the first number in parenthesis is the proof mintage. Note the quoted value is only for the PF-65 grade. The next "blank" line refers to the same date and mint, but the mintage is for the business strike. Note the quoted values are for only MS-63 and MS-65.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks guys. this one is so beat up, i don't think i could tell if it was a proof or not, but regardless, i'm pretty sure it isn't. thanks for helping me understand. i had that assumption, but didn't want to guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread