Usernameerrors Finds

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Usernameerror's Finds

Rather than making a new thread every time I find something, I thought I would just make a single thread and update when necessary (hopefully often).

I left work early today to hit a bank before going home. I initially asked the teller for CWR dimes. She had $70 in CWR dimes. She also offered me 2 boxes but I declined as I noticed both boxes contained new 2012 P dimes. I then asked if she had any halves. She smiled and pulled $70 in CWR halves from her safe. She told me that a customer dropped them off earlier today and she would be glad to get rid of them. She found it a hassle to count the halves in her safe. I walked away with both dimes and halves.

This bank is in an area that services an elderly population so I was optimistic. I skunked on the dimes but I found a 1964 and 1967 :) the 64 was easy to find but I missed the 67 my first go around. I usually open the rolls and do a quick rim check then move on. The 67 had a darker rim so I missed it. Good thing I always check each half for proofs and NIFCs.

All in all it was a solid day. Good luck to everyone!

Attachments

• image-2759111818.jpg
    image-2759111818.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 180
  • image-1342344132.jpg
    image-1342344132.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 184
  • image-592343282.jpg
    image-592343282.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. I like the fact you are gonna run this like a diary and update it as you go. Good Choice!!

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is an area or "community" in my County, where the elderly make up about 80% of the population. The houses are older, etc. It's just an older part of town. There is one bank smack dab in the middle of this community, and I'll give it a call once in a while to see if any halves have been brought in. I called a few weeks ago, "Yeah, we actually just sold all of our halves and big dollar coins. An elderly gentleman had brought in a shoebox full a week ago, and we just sold them all this morning." Who knows that kind of treasure that bank had taken in. I was like :crybaby2:.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Visited a bank downtown today. I called ahead and asked for halves. The senior teller told me she's been sitting on $300 on halves for a long time. I quickly drove to the bank with my imagination running wild. I approached the teller and she pulled the halves from her safe. Alas they were all re-wrapped BWRs other than $50 in CWRs. So there was a sliver of hope. Well the CWRs contained solid rolls of 71 and 80. Not the kind of collection dump I was looking for.

$300 in CWR = SKUNK

A BofA near me apparently has a few boxes of halves in their vault. I'm going to pay a visit tomorrow. Hopefully I'll stike silver.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left work early today to hit a bank before going home. I initially asked the teller for CWR dimes. ... All in all it was a solid day. Good luck to everyone!

Last time I "hit" a bank I asked for large bills, not small coins.

-Ammo

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I opened a new account with another bank today that was willing to order boxes of halves for me. Many of the branches of my "main" bank refused to order boxes of halves. Total turn-off. I may just start using this new bank as my main bank. 8-)

While I was at my new bank ordering a box, I asked if they had any halves available. Someone cashed in $300 in halves earlier that day. I quickly told the teller I would purchase all that she had. The area that this bank is located in is not known for CRHing (at least in my opinion). I've rarely come across any marked rolls and all of my silver has been found in this area. The nice teller confirmed my box order would be coming in on Friday and bid me adieu. I took the rolls back to the car and started opening.

I am usually very skeptical about any CWRs that I come across. They are usually dumps and skunks. The very first roll I opened seemed to be a skunk but upon further inspection....SILVER! A dirty 1948 Ben Franklin to be exact! I was immediately blown. I was thinking that someone dumped their entire collection. I opened the second roll....nothing. The next....nothing. The next...nothing. So on and so on.

Apparently I did stumble upon someone's dump. This fool apparently did not look hard enough at the roll and missed the Franklin. His/her loss is my gain. This is just another reminder for everyone...check every half. Rim checking is not 100% accurate at times.

Now time to dump and wait for my box on Friday! Good luck everyone!

Picture 003.jpg
Picture 006.jpg

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup you are correct! I did a double-take when my eyes scanned this half. Its pretty gimey and could have easily been overlooked.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Decided to post my modest May totals. I only started ordering boxes a few weeks ago. I'll be getting my second box today during lunch. Most of my finds have been from CWRs:

90% Kennedy - 12
40% Kennedy - 3
Franklin - 10
Walker - 6
Roosies - 3

Total = 10.79 ozt

I'll be ordering at least 1 box of halves a week so hopefully I'll find a lot more silver. Good luck to everyone this month!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Not very happy right now.

I ordered a half dollar box from my bank on Wednesday. The same bank where I picked up $300 in CWRs and found the 48 Franklin. I walked into the bank and told the teller I wanted to pick up my box of halves. She gave me a puzzled look and said, "Hello! Oh you mean your $200 in halves." I said, "No. I want to pick up the box of $500 halves that I ordered". Apparently when I ordered, the dumb teller thought that I only needed $500 in halves. So she gave me $300 in CWRS on Wednesday and was planning on giving me $200 in BWRs from the box today. I politely asked if I could buy the whole box but she refused. She gave me some B.S. about how she ordered them for the bank. I kept my cool and walked out of the bank with only $200 in BWRs.

I wanted to blow off some steam so I drove to another bank and had them order a box for me. This time I made sure the teller knew that I wanted the entire box. Didn't know this had to be clarified. One would assume that if you order a box...you would want the entire freaking box. :BangHead:

Ended my lunch break with $200 in BWR and $20 in CWR dimes. ALL FREAKING SUNKS. This really left a sour taste in my mouth. I don't really do a ton of volume so I was looking forward to my box today. Now I have to wait until next Friday for another box. June is already starting to suck :thumb_down:

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get too upset, I've learned that you basically need to treat bank tellers like you treat your wife. Be respectful and kind, super-specific, and be very understanding when they screw up, cause it will happen more often than you'd like.

20 rolls of halves and 4 rolls of dimes... I wouldn't expect to find anything in that, so don't be disappointed about being skunked.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
It's true unfortunately. I went into my pickup bank about a month ago ready to pick up 2 boxes and they said they forgot to order. I was disappointed, but I just asked to order them on the next order. Once you find a consistent pickup bank where you're ordering every week it will happen less.

But I know when I first started ordering boxes, I always looked forward to picking that one up on Friday. Like a lot of people say on the site, they like "the thrill of the hunt."

Just dump those skunks and get back at it tomorrow!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea I wasn't rude to the teller. I actually chatted her up for a few minutes. I was just frustrated that she would not sell the entire box to me. Oh well. I'll dump the clad tomorrow and see if any banks have CWRs.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not very happy right now.

I ordered a half dollar box from my bank on Wednesday. The same bank where I picked up $300 in CWRs and found the 48 Franklin. I walked into the bank and told the teller I wanted to pick up my box of halves. She gave me a puzzled look and said, "Hello! Oh you mean your $200 in halves." I said, "No. I want to pick up the box of $500 halves that I ordered". Apparently when I ordered, the dumb teller thought that I only needed $500 in halves. So she gave me $300 in CWRS on Wednesday and was planning on giving me $200 in BWRs from the box today. I politely asked if I could buy the whole box but she refused. She gave me some B.S. about how she ordered them for the bank. I kept my cool and walked out of the bank with only $200 in BWRs.

I wanted to blow off some steam so I drove to another bank and had them order a box for me. This time I made sure the teller knew that I wanted the entire box. Didn't know this had to be clarified. One would assume that if you order a box...you would want the entire freaking box. :BangHead:

Ended my lunch break with $200 in BWR and $20 in CWR dimes. ALL FREAKING SUNKS. This really left a sour taste in my mouth. I don't really do a ton of volume so I was looking forward to my box today. Now I have to wait until next Friday for another box. June is already starting to suck :thumb_down:

I asked the tellers at my bank to have their phone number, then when pickup day rolls around, I just give them a call and make sure they have it. Saves a trip, but usually, even if they don't have my box, they usually have a roll or two that has something alright in it. :) Buck up, and keep on keepin' on, man.

- DS

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my situation keeps getting better. :sarcasm:

Went to my main bank today to get some dimes and nickels. Found out that the vault teller that agreed to order halves for me was "no longer employed" at the bank. The teller could not verify if he ordered my box before he left. So I'll just have to call on Friday.

Picked up $350 in dimes and $36 in nickels. Skunked on the dimes but I found my first war nickel! 1944 P. I guess some silver is better than none. Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• image-3712436868.jpg
    image-3712436868.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Good day everyone!

Had a poor start to my day today. I went to dump around $420 in dimes, nickels and halves at a coin machine. After dumping I noticed that the amount shown on my claim ticket was significantly short. It read "$327.--. Normally I would not sweat a dollar here or there off but this was ridiculous. I spoke to the teller who filed a claim on my behalf. A banker took down my info and said that I would be contacted once the machine's totals are reviewed. So I'm out $100ish right now. I'm assuming that the machine counted a lot of the dimes as pennies :BangHead:. Regardless I'm going to make sure I get my $100.

I was supposed to have a box come in today but the vault teller who I ordered from either quit or was fired before he could make the order. :thumb_down: The teller offered me $500 in CWRs. I reluctantly accepted. She came out with the rolls and I noticed they all were marked with an "N" :BangHead:. Fortunately the teller miscalculated and only brought out $250 which saved me the hassle of dumping.

I went to my car and started opening. All of the coins were marked except for a few. I did open one roll and noticed a sliver clad rim with a green tint. It ended up being a 1968 D that had been spray painted! I'll take it. Also ended up with a 2005 P, 1970 Bermuda 50 Cent piece and what seems to be an error coin. Can someone confirm?

Good Luck to everyone! :hello:

photo(1).JPG photo(2).JPG 06-08-12.JPG

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about not getting your box again, but at least you got some silver! Beats my 3 boxes of skunks this week. I can't make out what might be wrong with that 1995.

Was that a BB&T machine that shorted you? You're probably right, it could have counted your dimes as cents. I've heard that happens sometimes from people on here. I always try to re-roll my dimes just to make sure. I hope you're able to recover the $100.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it was a BB&T. I'll only use the machine for anything other than dimes from now on. The tellers were very nice and called the coin machine company immediately. Either way I'll be calling corporate if I don't get reimbursed.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Bermuda halves have low mintages. Unfortunately, you got the 1970 one, which has the highest mintage, 1,000,000 minted. Some other ones have mintages as low as 40,000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions