which is easier?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it depends on the specific bank you are going to (not the franchise, but the specific branch), so I would recommend asking each bank and letting then know you want to make it as easy as possible for them. At some banks, you have to dump coins, they won't except rolls or loose. Some larger banks want the coins in bags. Really the best case is when a bank will take the re-rolled halves in the box, since this is very easy for the tellers. I re-roll right in the same rolls they came in, it's slow at first but then you get quick at it. Unfortunately, some banks won't take re-rolled boxes because they say they can't verify what's in them. So really, it depends, start up a quick conversation with the tellers and find out what's best for them.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and remember, boxes of halves are heavy, so I never bring in more than two at a time

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
coin counter.

Rolling halves, the teller has to account for each roll every day until they sell them to the vault teller/bank manager. Great if they have customers asking for halves, but contrary to popular opinion here on TNet, sometimes the tellers will have to account for the same rolls for weeks.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find a bank with a bin not bags. at my cu once a week the guy comes in with a hand jack/truck with an empty bin.....opens pulls out the full bin sticks in the new empty one ..locks it up and goes !! the only time the tellers have to service it is if it jams !! no bags for them to haul...no coins for them to deal with......just the machine does not have a reject tray !!!!!!

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Diver_Down said:
coin counter.

Rolling halves, the teller has to account for each roll every day until they sell them to the vault teller/bank manager. Great if they have customers asking for halves, but contrary to popular opinion here on TNet, sometimes the tellers will have to account for the same rolls for weeks.

In my experience, as long as they have a total of $500 in halves rolled, they are sent off once a week. I always dump a minumum of $500.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin counters by far.

There isn't really enough space to keep the halves in a drawer unless they have a lot of CRHers, if you roll them most of them time they'll just unroll them and toss them in the counter.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Silverforbrains said, it depends on the branch. Just ask them whats best and how much at a time and how often will work for them, and stress to them that you want to do whats best for them not you. I reroll mine in the wraps that the bank will give to you and put them back in the boxes ( brinks boxes, my dump bank uses garda), a thousand at a time, and bring to one of my dump banks every 2 to 3 weeks. I don't bring in more than a thousand at a time. One of my dump banks said they send them back out after the have a thousand to send, another says they have to un roll them anyway, but its nice to get them back in rerolled boxes ( easier to handle). So just ask what works for them best, ( dont be shy about it) I found that when I asked about bringing it in to change out that all of them said I could bring in much more at a time than I do now and more often, but never do close to the max that they say you can. Good luck.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My best answer to this question would be that it really depends on how much volume you are doing, and what works best at each branch of your bank of choice. If you are bringing in $500 to $1000 per week to dump in a coin counter, definitely do that. Some banks, (as out here,) REQUIRE coins to be rolled. I'm from the west coast and we don't have TD bank, as I've heard the bag only takes $100 in halves at a time. The counters out here take $500 and $1000 in the bags at a time before they need to be changed. If you are doing more volume than that, you should open bank accounts with different banks and spread them around all of the branches of your bank . Bring in $500 to $1000 per branch in rolled. You can rotate branches around so that you'll end up going to each individual branch every other week or every three weeks. I've recently switched to bags, so I don't have to roll or coin counter dump anymore! 8-)

OP
OP
fingerscrossed

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for the input..i personally prefer to re-roll..this was a pretty quick dump when one of the banks that I went wanted me to re-roll it..i was in and out in less than 2-3 minutes which was quite a surprise for me..i had to spend sometime though rerolling $500 worth of halves but the teller in that bank was nice enough to gave me coin wrappers...i'll start asking around banks which they would prefer the idea is good...I wish I can dump with bags..that's probably the easiest although I tried to talk to about 2 banks and they were not really open to my proposition of dumping with bags instead of using their coin counters..

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
fingerscrossed, I don't know if you have accounts with credit unions or big banks, but I would try asking banks that are more geared towards merchant services about the bags. They will probably want to charge you a fee, but hey it didn't hurt anyone to ask!

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stick to the coin counters. I try to get in and out in as little time as possible. Like a ninja.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks guys for the input..i personally prefer to re-roll..this was a pretty quick dump when one of the banks that I went wanted me to re-roll it..i was in and out in less than 2-3 minutes which was quite a surprise for me..i had to spend sometime though rerolling $500 worth of halves but the teller in that bank was nice enough to gave me coin wrappers...i'll start asking around banks which they would prefer the idea is good...I wish I can dump with bags..that's probably the easiest although I tried to talk to about 2 banks and they were not really open to my proposition of dumping with bags instead of using their coin counters..

I personally like to bring mine in rerolled too, (my banks give me wrapers to reroll) I can walk in with my to boxes and be outta there with my $1000.00 in hand in a couple of minutes. I worry about the bags alittle because you have to deposit and wait for it to post in your account ( at my bank at least), plus all those deposits into your account over time have to raise some kinda red flag somewhere in the system, I would think, I mean if you don't make much money a year, (like me) and all the sudden your account starts posting deposits every single week of 1 or 2 thousand dollars, somebody is gona ask a question sometime. Just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread