1883 Liberty Head gold nickel...WOW!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While searching another box of nickels & after unwrapping the paper on a roll, I saw the edge of gold. I can't believe I was looking at a gold Liberty Head V nickel dated 1883. Its in MS-63 or PF-63 condition without cents. Its the 1st year they made them. But did any one ever see a gold plated one? And why is it gold plated? Is it real? To me its a 1st & is my mystery coin. My apology for not having better pics.

Attachments

• 2012-05-29 22.01.42.jpg
    2012-05-29 22.01.42.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 2012-05-29 21.57.33.jpg
    2012-05-29 21.57.33.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! This is a gold plated 1883 "no cent" V nickel. I have seen one of these in person before, but never heard of anyone finding one CRH. People used to gold plate these because they did not indicate their denomination, and would pass them off as the new five dollar gold pieces. Gotta love history! Wow it's in great condition

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool coin, though not valueable, it looks shiny due to the polished gold colored surface, the coin is in low grade and is likely gold colored.
nice find!

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool coin, though not valueable, it looks shiny due to the polished gold colored surface, the coin is in low grade and is likely gold colored.
nice find!

way to rain on the parade....just kidding BuffaloBoy :laughing7::laughing7:

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TThe coin is not low grade as it has all the details like full LIBERTY, the cornstalks show, all hairlines are well defined, etc. Its the most beautiful Libery Head nik I ever saw. Some are selling on eBay for $20 & more.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a beautiful coin and the historical value is worth far more than $20. In my opinion.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i could not tell from the picture, it looks low grade from the picture, but you know, opinions count.
TThe coin is not low grade as it has all the details like full LIBERTY, the cornstalks show, all hairlines are well defined, etc. Its the most beautiful Libery Head nik I ever saw. Some are selling on eBay for $20 & more.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Cool find - not worth a lot but nice. congrats. This is what makes the hobby fun.

Maine_Jim

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a "NO CENTS" (not gold though)

1883-p 1a tallguybry.JPG

1883-p 2 tallguybry.JPG

I'll get around to getting her graded one day. Maybe MS-64....

H$H!!
TGB

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks pretty nice to me grtz

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes TallGuy. That's the same coin I have & in the same condition too. What I want to know is, what is its true condition & how much is it worth? Your pics do the coin much justice.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your coin is gold plated, though a higher quality coin as you claim it to be, still not MS64 Luster or anything...

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes TallGuy. That's the same coin I have & in the same condition too. What I want to know is, what is its true condition & how much is it worth? Your pics do the coin much justice.

Grading is very subjective and varies from person to person (some people think their run down, beat up Ford Pinto looks like a Cadillac).

I paid $100 for her on eBay a while ago. I plan on using NGC to grade her.

Let me know if you get yours graded.

H$H!!
TGB

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Your coin is gold-plated. And it doesn't appear to be the type of plating they did 130 years ago. It would end up in a genuine slab. It's value is probably not as much as you're thinking, but it's still not a bad find out of a roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread