Are non-silver halves worth saving?

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Starting to go through my 2nd box of halves today and I've already found 4 2002 coins in very good condition (I'm not down with the grading terminology yet). They still have a lot of shimmer and just have bag marks on them. I know that anything post-2001 was NIFC, but are they really worth hanging on to? If so, is there any desire for these at the present?

I've also found a couple from the late 80's-early 90's in the same, almost brand new condition. CoinTrackers.com says they have numismatic value of between $3-$5, but I have a hard time believing that. Any insight? Thanks!:icon_thumleft:

Edit: None of them are S-mint marks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be surprised at just how many "NIFC" halves you'll come across if you stick with this long enough. I save a few and toss the rest back.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I save one of each NIFC year half that I come across. I replace any year if I find another one in better condition. I would be investing in a lot of clad if I kept all the NIFCs I've found.

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
As it's only my 2nd box of coin EVER that I'm hunting today, I wasn't sure how often those popped up. The first box had nothing like I'm seeing in the 2nd. Thanks for the info, guys!:occasion14:

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem. At some point you'll do a box (we all have here) that is over 50% NIFC's. That was when I decided to only save a select few and toss the rest back.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i once had a box with 77.5% NIFC in them(yup, $387.50 worth), nearly all the NIFC's marked with black marker across kennedy's face.
No problem. At some point you'll do a box (we all have here) that is over 50% NIFC's. That was when I decided to only save a select few and toss the rest back.
I say keep them for now until you get too many.

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
i once had a box with 77.5% NIFC in them(yup, $387.50 worth), nearly all the NIFC's marked with black marker across kennedy's face.
I say keep them for now until you get too many.

What's your reasoning for hanging on to them, if you don't mind me asking...?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are worth keeping some day you might want to fill in that old pool in the back yard!!!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to keep them aside and counting how many until I got 2000+ pieces. I kept a few from each year and dumped the rest. Now I keep the matte-finish ones and 87s only.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Cointrackers is very unreliable in their clad section. Its silver section is ok.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1971 halves are extremely rare in certain parts of the world. One NIFC could feed a starving African child for 50 days, you do the math.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea yea try to sell clad NO ONE WANTS IT!!! Hello its hard to get a good price for silver. I have a hard time getting rid of $30,000.00 coins a week??? If any one wants it i will give you it for $29.980.00 Thats $20 less then face. So if your clad is so great?? Thats a deal!! I can't wait for all your pm.s

Last edited:

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea yea try to sell clad NO ONE WANTS IT!!! Hello its hard to get a good price for silver. I have a hard time getting rid of $30,000.00 coins a week??? If any one wants it i will give you it for $29.980.00 Thats $20 less then face. So if your clad is so great?? Thats a deal!! I can't wait for all your pm.s

I'll buy everyones clad for 3.5x face. PM me for more details.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
I found 3 2009 D halves the other day they went in the save pile

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions