1964 Two headed Magician coin

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I pulled what I thought was my second 64 from a box, flipped it over and saw that it was heads on both sides. When I dropped it, it clunked like I have never heard before. It looks real good, I can't see any cracks or marks on the outside to show how they made it and it is tight enough to not open easy. Never found a Magician coin before so I'm happy to have it. Trying to cool it down in the freezer now before shaking in a jar, it sounded hollow inside but hopefully there is another coin inside. If nothing else having a two sided coin might come in handy for heads or tails.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Well that didn't work, tried shaking it in a plastic and glass jar. Maybe it is just a glued tight two headed coin?

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is what you could try, but you will probably due some damage to the coin. Throw the coin on its edge on the pavement (maybe a vinyl floor would be better) a bunch of times. Eventually it will open. The edge might get gnarly. One magician's coin opened for me in a couple throws, the other got messed up before it popped open.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is what you could try, but you will probably due some damage to the coin. Throw the coin on its edge on the pavement (maybe a vinyl floor would be better) a bunch of times. Eventually it will open. The edge might get gnarly. One magician's coin opened for me in a couple throws, the other got messed up before it popped open.

I've had one of these sitting in my foreign coin pile from CRHing, and I got another one today. I just did this and they both popped open! Both of them have a reverse that pops out, and on one side is the kennedy half reverse and glued to it is a mexican peso! It's really weird. I'll try and get a picture of it up.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks, I'll try it but our floors are all tile or carpet. Maybe I'll get a sheet of plywood and try throwing it against that. It sounds hollow and weighs a couple of grams light. Just tried it a bunch of times on my formica desktop but nothing.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definately not equal to the real thing, but I would take it for 50 cents :)

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a whole bag of them there worth nothing??

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a gambler's trick coin, not a magician coin. Trick coin is not supposed to open up while magician coin is.
I would not try to open it up. I found a tail-tail made of two 1964 halves (the unique mintmark location and rim).

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Here are pics of both sides. I couldn't get it to open, don't want to damage it but it does sound hollow. I like having it even if it doesn't open. I showed it to a couple of tellers who get me a lot of coins today.

2headed64b.jpg 2headed64a.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread