Cents: It Was Bound to Happen

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I do a couple boxes a week of cents. I knew it would happen sooner or later, but yesterday was the day. I opened my first box to see nothing but shiny 2012d's.

The second box was an interesting mix. 60% of the rolls were 2012d's while the other rolls were 2012d's with 1-3 older cents mixed in. I took a peek at a few of those rolls, but I wasn't about to waste my time unrolling and re-rolling 20 rolls to look at 40 coins.

I kept a roll and gave a roll to one of my daughters, but the rest will go back to the bank today. My wife is kind enough to have offered to get a couple new boxes for me. Hopefully, she'll bring me some luck ;)

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting, i've had the same thing happen to me, about a 95% solid box of 2012p shield cents, all new enders except for one, a few older coins mixed in, turned out that the older coins mixed in were an older mix, that box produced 4 wheats, :tongue3: the box did have a reverse wheat ender too, the only older ender in the box.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had that happen with dimes . all 2011 's except 1 older dime right in the middle !?? i found 1 silver in that box......dead center in the middle of 2011's ?????

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 1956 d wheat penny in my pocket today.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep it's that time of year. I've been waiting for it too, hasn't happened yet. thank god it doesn't happen with halves!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so far i have found solid penny boxes, solid nickel boxes(still getting those) and solid dime boxes... I do not touch quarters, though I've seen brand new quarters in the teller's tray, I don't even want to go after those!!
thank god dimes are done being solid(for now) and that halves are not solid either, though they have been skunky, I would rather have a skunk half dollar box than a box of halves with all new coins in it. (1998-2000) coins.
HH
Buff

OP
OP
Tabfry

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You could probably sell boxes of 2012 halves for a nice premium.

Actually, that was the first thing I thought of, but this was a sealed B of A box that I couldn't tell was all new cents until it was opened. I thought, perhaps, there would be less interest in an opened box than a sealed one.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, that was the first thing I thought of, but this was a sealed B of A box that I couldn't tell was all new cents until it was opened. I thought, perhaps, there would be less interest in an opened box than a sealed one.

I was talking about halves. You could also sell a box of 2012 cents on ebay, but only in like February or March, when they are not common in change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread