Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent photo...How does it look between a couple clads?

I can't stress how great that photo is though...
Macro lens' rock. I'll show you guys on Tuesday what it looks like throw into a roll with regular halves, we can make a little contest out of it... I'll throw a bunch of silver and clads together, whomever can nail the composition of each coin right will win something...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've had 40% silvers before that i could have swore were copper edges, the ping test works great, can't miss it.
i've actually missed a 1964 kennedy that was uncirculated but super toned by edge checking, that heavy ping just can't be missed
HH
Buff

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whomever can nail the composition of each coin right will win something...
oh boy, am I the only one seeing a "huntcoinsdotcom" thing popping up? :tongue3::laughing9::laughing7:

Just joking there Merc Crazy, it's a little thing that happened with another member in the past posting contests and asking for personal information to send out a "prize" to the winner.
There's nothing wrong with friendly competition though
HH
Buff
:occasion14:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, I am not color blind... I mean, I check a lot of coins that look suspect - but you guys really whack every single you see?

I have lots of 40%s that have silver and black sadwitch. My 40% proofs look wild, you can actually make out the copper - but it's not sandwitch, it just looks like pink silver. But, I would still like to see these hard to spot coins in a group of calds. It would be interesting.

My 40% proofs look like 90%.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, the easiest way to see a 40%er that looks clad is in a cellophane wrapped '65 SMS or a mint set. Of course some of them have tarnished and look like a normal 40%er, but most look just like a copper nickel clad coin except the copper looks a bit more pink.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's so who can spot the the silver.
There IS one 40% in the roll. And it's
NOT the one laying Down. Let's see if anyone can find it.

Attachments

• image-2794975945.jpg
    image-2794975945.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 115

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
conleytheking said:
Let's so who can spot the the silver.
There IS one 40% in the roll. And it's
NOT the one laying Down. Let's see if anyone can find it.

9th from right

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
BlackOut said:
9th from right

Or 12th from left it looks like.

I know I have missed a few dimes. I had finished up a few boxes late one might and my eyes were extremely tired. Next morning, I am dumping into a counter in the bank lobby and I see a Merc staring up at me.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
BlackOut said:
Or 12th from left it looks like.

I know I have missed a few dimes. I had finished up a few boxes late one might and my eyes were extremely tired. Next morning, I am dumping into a counter in the bank lobby and I see a Merc staring up at me.

Ok, next I would look at the 4th or 9th from the left. That 74 threw me. Tough roll. If not those, I woulda as it for sure.

OP
OP
M

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a number of dirty, tarnished, darkend halfs that may have been missed. The quickest, easiest way to do a sound check is to let the coins drop from one hand to the other. It takes less than 5 seconds a roll. The silver sound is unmistakable, you will even hear the clunk of a magician or other coins that are distinctive. You may miss some of the errors, because you are only seeing one side of the coin, but you won't miss any silver.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makes me want to re-go-through my 1.2K in the trunk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread