mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were some great boxes out there in 06. You have to wonder where that box has been hiding out the last 6 years. Good luck,hope it's loaded with AG!:thumbsup:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck, hope it is a 2006 dream box standard of 100+ 90%ers when 40%ers were tossed back! (I don't know if that is true or not, but it seems reasonable)
HH
Buff

OP
OP
M

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
The box definitely look like it's been kiked around for a while. One end has heavy taping, so I assume box had opened. The rolls inside are all tightly rolled. Several rolls at one end like they split opened and were taped. These probably fell out when box came open.

I just opened the first 10 rolls. One roll had a '64 ender. When I finish the box, I will report on findings.

OP
OP
M

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
Final tally.... 2 40%, 1 '64. 3 silver coins in a box was probably average for 2006. I was hoping for more, but it was better than what I usually find in the recent boxes. There was 1 2004 and 1 2002, the rest were 1998 - 1971. The excitement of anticipation was good!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final tally.... 2 40%, 1 '64. 3 silver coins in a box was probably average for 2006. I was hoping for more, but it was better than what I usually find in the recent boxes. There was 1 2004 and 1 2002, the rest were 1998 - 1971. The excitement of anticipation was good!

You stated that some looked as though they were split open from falling from the box and then taped. That is a strategy of severl CRH's, split the roll with a knife, look for silver through slit and then tape closed. Betcha that box was just re-used by someone. That is how alot of people miss 40%'ers.

OP
OP
M

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought of that, but do not think it was the case. The rolls that were taped (about 4 or 5) were all at the same end of the box that had been taped shut. The paper on those rolls were split, like it had happened on impact. I have seen rolls someone has sliced open to look at the edges. Those have all been straight cuts from end to end. The other 45 rolls were all tightly machine wrapped/sealed. No tape, no sign of tampering. There were also no coins newer than 2002. I think it was a legitimate older box that just did not have many silver coins in it.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up a box of half dollars from one of my local banks. When I flipped the box over, I noticed that it was date stamped "Jun 26 2006". It is sufficiently beat up and dirty to look like it has been around since then. I will open it later tonight and let you know how well the Time Machine is working.

I once picked up 4 half boxes that had been in a banks vault for 14 years!!! all 4 produced a few 40%, and 2 of them produced 2 franklins. Goes to show not all old boxes are going to be loaded.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stated that some looked as though they were split open from falling from the box and then taped. That is a strategy of severl CRH's, split the roll with a knife, look for silver through slit and then tape closed. Betcha that box was just re-used by someone. That is how alot of people miss 40%'ers.

I'm still waiting to see a 40%er that looks like a clad from the rim...

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I started CRH'ing just over a year ago... and I really struggled with the, "If I only started CRH'ing 10 years ago....." One time I went to my bank, which was brinks, but the boxes were loomis. I noticed on the boxes that they are from SEP or AUG of 2002... I about died right there. There are not as many silvers in those boxes as I figured there would have been, (although they ALWAYS have a higher ratio of 90%'ers than todays boxes). Seems like there are just as many skunks in those boxes as today, the other difference is the boxes that have silver, generally have a decent number of em, and again the ratios are higher. In the last 8 months or so, I would say It has happened 5 or 6 times that I have gone in their for my weekly pickup and had those 2002 loomis boxes waiting for me. I beat my personal record last week, (29) silvers in box #1, and I dont know if I mentioned or not, but those boxes were all the 2002 boxes as well. Ended up with 59 silvers from the four boxes. (by far the best four boxes I have ever had). It makes me imagine how many half dollar bags/boxes whatever, are covered in dust on shelves unopened, and unsearched out there.... I want to find all of them and hoard em hard! Anyways, good going on finding and getting some of those old boxes...

Chris.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I'm still waiting to see a 40%er that looks like a clad from the rim...

Out of the hundreds of 40%'ers I have found, there have only been 2, maybe 3 at most where I would have missed it based on the edge. (for the longest time, I truly didnt believe they were out there). I edge check, and do a quick sound check too now... 2 or 3 is enough for me to be safe than sorry...

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, I am not color blind... I mean, I check a lot of coins that look suspect - but you guys really whack every single you see?

I have lots of 40%s that have silver and black sadwitch. My 40% proofs look wild, you can actually make out the copper - but it's not sandwitch, it just looks like pink silver. But, I would still like to see these hard to spot coins in a group of calds. It would be interesting.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would be cool if someone could post a pic of a 40% that looks clad. Put it in a roll of clad so the few of us who have not seen one can really see what it looks like. I myself have never seen one. All my 40 % seem easy enough to see with the few that are a bit harder.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
mark1982 said:
it would be cool if someone could post a pic of a 40% that looks clad. Put it in a roll of clad so the few of us who have not seen one can really see what it looks like. I myself have never seen one. All my 40 % seem easy enough to see with the few that are a bit harder.

If I can find one I will. I have one that its crazy how clad it looks.
Thank god it was an Ender lol

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you 'ting' each coin quickly? Is it faster than date checking?

Mre importantly, does timzim sound or date check is halves?

Last edited:

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a '67 I missed edge checking but caught when I heard it.

1967.jpg

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent photo...How does it look between a couple clads?

I can't stress how great that photo is though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread