Significant others reaction to CRH

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this may be an interesting thread......How does your significant other (girlfriend, wife, etc.) react to your CRH? with acceptance and tolerance? hatred and despair? Curious glances and emasculating catch phrases?

My story - Doesn't bother her at all, although sometimes she rips on me and says it's a form of OCD. She has a piggy bank that I am forced to sacrifice silver to from time to time as a gift of peace.

side note 1 - sorry if you don't have a girlfriend, get yourself out there and you'll be fine (wait a month to tell them about CRH)
side note 2 - if you are a woman please excuse my gender biased examples of a significant other

Upvote 0

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wifey doesn't mind as long as I don't keep too many coins laying around..:thumbsup: she goes with me to the bank to deposit clads but doesn't help..she doesn't want to get her hands dirty :laughing7:

silvereyes

Jan 7, 2011
My wife puts up with it really well. She picks up boxes for me sometimes too. She can carry two 500$ boxes at once. I don't she how she does it?
If I hit a good box with a steady flow of silver ,she will help break open some rolls . She didn't help out on my current 13 box skunk streak though.
It keeps me out of the beer joints and honky tonks.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife tells me its a waste of time for the boxes (true)and to go after teller tray finds and cwr(true). She fusses a little when I have too many coins laying around.Other than that she stays out of my hair and hardly ever askes what I find!!! ;)

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Girlfriend is fine with it and might even go through a couple of rolls here and there. Then starts nagging a bit when I get a pile of boxes and wrappers that I am too lazy to take out lol

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately mine had a good experience when I first started. I had gone through several boxes of nickels that week and only found war nickels. I had a box and a half I was going through, and threw her three rolls and said she could keep anything she found. One had a full date buffalo nickel. I of course still to this date have not found a buffalo nickel, let alone a full date, and she got one in three rolls. So yea, woman love that sort of thing, when they one up you, so she's happy

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife doesn't mind, she'll occasionally open a few rolls of halves. On some of the first rolls she opened she found silver so she realizes "it's out there".

And as long as I'm not using our savings or money we use to pay bills, she's ok with it.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Over here complete indifference to my " obsession " no interest in any of my finds. ( barely looks up from the tv ) Standard reaction to me coming back excited over my finds " so how much gas did you waste to find these? "

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife was berating me yesterday and told me to get a respectable hobby. She said that "grubbing through piles of dirty coins was for losers" and that her impression is that this is "financial masturbation." I kid you not.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
My wife tolerates it but has no interest in it. I will get the occasional snide remark like "where you going...to the bank". We never CRH together as she hates it. She did seem a bit impressed the last time I sold some at a show and was handed a couple thousand dollars in cash which we promptly spent...

Maine_Jim

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
maine_Jim said:
My wife tolerates it but has no interest in it. I will get the occasional snide remark like "where you going...to the bank". We never CRH together as she hates it. She did seem a bit impressed the last time I sold some at a show and was handed a couple thousand dollars in cash which we promptly spent...

Maine_Jim

Should be "which I promptly spent.
When I cash out...Its either going to be to relocate for a job I'm suppose to get, or incase of emergency. But if I sell, just to sell...the gf isn't getting any. All that money is going to buy guns! Mainly bc she isn't that supportive.
Although she did lead me $500 yesterday so I could pick me up order lol.

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife is very cool with it. I've been coin collecting for over 50 years and just recently been doing boxes on a consistent basis. When I found some solid CWR's of wheaties, she and my mother went back to the bank in search of similar rolls. And this was less than a year removed from major back surgery. She says this is saving for retirement one coin at a time.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Mine is interested in hearing my tales about it but doesn't care to do it. If I've got a good box she might help me open them. She sometimes brings me silver she finds at work.

One time at her work someone brought in halves to another teller and she was so upset as the other teller would not share them. It's not that she really cares about CRH but she knows I love it so she was so upset that she couldn't get those halves. That, my friends, is love!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend won't let me do it while she's around. Time is better spent holding hands and enjoying each other's company :icon_thumright:
I remember that time, decades ago.

My wife tolerates it and if I get something interesting she says that is nice.

BUT, what irritates her is the sound of 50 cent pieces being dropped on a pile of halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread