Significant others reaction to CRH

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this may be an interesting thread......How does your significant other (girlfriend, wife, etc.) react to your CRH? with acceptance and tolerance? hatred and despair? Curious glances and emasculating catch phrases?

My story - Doesn't bother her at all, although sometimes she rips on me and says it's a form of OCD. She has a piggy bank that I am forced to sacrifice silver to from time to time as a gift of peace.

side note 1 - sorry if you don't have a girlfriend, get yourself out there and you'll be fine (wait a month to tell them about CRH)
side note 2 - if you are a woman please excuse my gender biased examples of a significant other

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is cool with it she will not help at all!!

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend won't let me do it while she's around. Time is better spent holding hands and enjoying each other's company :icon_thumright:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My wife enjoys it as much, if not more than I do.

She routinely picks up our boxes, opens rolls, date checks, and drum roll, please...she often dumps.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as I wash my hands, don't spend our paychecks/savings on coins, and keep the coins out of the way everything is just fine.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
once I showed my wife I could make it "pay" iits own way she had no issues -- I started with $ 100 bucks and after hitting a few scores a couple of times --I visually "replaced" my $100 start up funds * by selling off some of the silver I found and handing my wife the $100 to put back into the bank -- by having her replacie the "start up funds" into the bank , I showed the wife that no household funds were being "diverted" long term from the bills or household savings accounts to support "my hobby"

(ie --I was "making" my own seperate CRH buying fund from coin rolling and selling a bit of silver to gain funds to buy larger amounts of coins with --so she had no valid reason to complain- because it was "excess funds" being used to fund my hobby -- extra money that I earned only via my own personal efforts *)-- after awhile I gave her a gift of some of my silver CRH 'earnings" as a do what you like with it gift and she figgered out it CRHing can make some "spare" spending cash to buy things with out tapping into the "normal" household funds --- so as we watched TV during the breaks --she and I both startred coin rolling -- of course we got into a freindly - who gets more silver -- so yes over time thru careful handling I "converted' her into a silver coin rolling junkie .

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
While my 'ol lady takes little interest in roll hunting herself, she has been known to bring home multiple solid rolls of silver halves, war nicks, silver dimes, solid rolls of wheats, etc, as she is a loan offc/teller.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife thinks that its not worth the time, and I spend more gas than find silver.

But my girlfriend loves to crh.

Lol. =D

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
My g/f is totally supportive. She gets excited (or at least acts like it) whenever I find some silver. She even helped me look through a box last week.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My wife loves the fact that a) I'm home while enjoying a hobby (unlike my fishing hobby) and b) I spend so little $ while collecting something worthwhile. She's happy to make the occasional dump/pickup for me, but I don't press my luck there.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife thinks that its not worth the time, and I spend more gas than find silver.

But my girlfriend loves to crh.

Lol. =D

FUNNY! My SO doesn't mind at all as long as I remember to ask the tellers for a milk bone.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is fine with it. She used to be a teller so she had her own little stash when we married. She also realizes that the silver that her father passed on to her when he died is part of the reason that I started haording silver and gold. In addition to all of that she knows that she will end up with it all when I'm gone. Plus when I'm CRHing she gets to watch all of the Lifetime and Hallmark channels that she can stand.:icon_thumleft:

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girl friend likes to help but I have to pay her tribute :( ..... and she has bags of gold and silver from her family ITS NOT FAIR!! :BangHead: lol

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
she doesn't understand that i can cash in the 500 dollar box - minus the silver coins.

Lots of people don't understand the flow of coins - they think I'm cashing in the silver at the bank for a profit. *shrugs*

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fine with it though don't support the hobby when I bring home skunk boxes :tongue3:

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
My Wife is very cool with it. As a matter of a fact, I make sure she "fondles" a box before I open it. She frequently asks if she can open a roll and when she does, she'll say something like "oh, look. A '64". She's my good luck charm!

H$H!!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife supports my hobby. I've been happier and less stressed ever since I started CRHing. I'm not in it just for silver. I'm developing quite a collection. She just wants to make sure I'm not losing money which is respectable.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife supports it as long as it's silver i'm finding. She has absolutely no interest in older nickels or wheat cents. If i pull a V nickel out of a roll, it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow with her.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife was reluctant at first. I dont think she was entirely happy about the time I was spending, and the time I kept talking & thinking about "treasure." All of the sudden I start looking in the reject tray at Coinstar, searching coins every day, going out metal detecting, etc.

For the most part she is cool, opens a few rolls and very occasionally dumps off. She likes to make funny comments on "treasure!" all the time... she says that is her liberty for putting up with me CRHing and MDing.

Well, the cool thing was cashing in 32 ounces a month ago. When I got the check in the mail for $882.09, that is undeniable result. Now our family and friends are pretty impressed, and that helped, having everyone be like "whoa"! When other people are impressed, that was encouraging to her, I think she really accepted it at that point. It also roughly replaced the $1000 I had been utilizing from savings to CRH, so now I am fully funded by CRHing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread