Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How much longer do we have?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

How much longer do we have?

So I was just wondering how much longer we have in this great hobby before it cuts cut off completely? From what I have been reading on this forum & from my own experiences in the last 3 months I personally believe in 3 years Coin Roll Hunting will be dead. It's been getting hard for me to dump coin( I only average 3 boxes per week of halves dumped between 3 banks), one of my dumps has banned me from depositing rolled coin. Sorry if this has been posted before, I just want to know what you guys are feeling. HH Circa
    Started March 2012:
    68 - 40% Half
    8 - 90% Kennedy Half
    2 - 90% Walking Liberty
    1 - 90% 1953 D Ben
    4 - Silver Dimes
    Goals-
    1.100 silver halves
    2. First Silver Dime
    3. First Silver Morgan
    4. War Nickel
    5. First Ben

May 2012
    218 times
    I don't really subscribe to this whole "sky is falling" phenomenon that is going around on this site. There will always be opportunities to search and dump.
    It may take a little more work on our parts, but where there is a will, there is always a way.
    Happy Hunting!!
    boristhespider88 likes this.

us
    Aug 2011
    818 times
    Am new to this and i think within 2 years we will have to pay for boxes and our dumps. The bank are not doing good and will need the fees to stay in buss..It will push out most of us. I will pay the fees there will be more silver for the ones that pay the fees. Some of my banks talk about fees already!! Good luck to all!!

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    186 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    I've said this before, every day there are more CRHers entering the insanity than there are exiting. Time will tell?

Mar 2012
    92 times
    it all depends where you live and how much you order/dump.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1006 times
    silver surfing
    I haven't paid a fee since since 1979/80, the beginning of the first roll hunting mania.
    This hobby's been out there for a while.

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities
    There will always be CRHing, sure the "big banks" might make it harder and harder to CRH but the smaller, independent credit unions most likely won't. About the only thing that might be over is being able to hunt on an industrial scale. The silver sure isn't all gone, it replenishes itself on a daily basis. The key to CRHing is creating relationships. Figuring out what each teller cares about and doesn't care about and trading from there.

CRHing has been, is and will be a valuable part of the coin collecting hobby regardless of what happens with the big banks. There are still a lot of people who don't know what coins are silver.... including silver dollars...
    SilverForBrains likes this.
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Mangling rolls since '09

May 2012
    West Chester, PA
    26 times
    Roll Searching
    I think my primary dump bank will cut off all non-business accounts from picking up or dumping large volume probably within a few years max. One local district of said bank won't let me pick up without a business account, and two branches have blocked me from dumping. Of course, since TD acquired Commerce, Commerce/TD went down the crapper, so... Plenty of other local/regional banks that will take my business, like PNC.

us
    Oct 2010
    Oklahoma/Kansas border
    1 times
    The smaller banks might prefer the dumps. My father has a tiny side business with vending machines. He only get quarters.

The bank where he deposits the quarters are happy. They don't have to order quarters.

Your dumps might actually help.

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverQuest View Post
    The smaller banks might prefer the dumps. My father has a tiny side business with vending machines. He only get quarters.

The bank where he deposits the quarters are happy. They don't have to order quarters.

Your dumps might actually help.
    No, usually smaller banks are worse to dump at because they have smaller vault space. Let's face it, halves really aren't that useful and businesses hate to get hand wrapped coins. Even if people think they are doing the bank a favor by hand wrapping coin, they usually just toss it in the coin counter anyways.
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Nov 2011
    Sulphur, NV
    419 times
    12/21/12
    silvereyes and airborne1092 like this.

us
    Nov 2009
    Tri state area, USA
    Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
    76 times
    All I know is enjoy it while you still can because no one knows for sure exactly what's going to happen. Like they say...nothing lasts forever & all good things will come to an end sooner or later. Remember, banks aren't in business to support our hobby of CRHing so appreciated your relationships with your banks & what they can & will do for you. But already I'm seeing resistance with some of my banks. For example, where I dump my halves they say I can't any more, evgen though I'm a customer. IMHO, due to the fact that so many are doing it now (thanks to the Internet educating & informing the masses) is what will eventually bring it all to a scretching hault. Also, the big shots in the corporate offices are catching on to whats going on & they are now cracking the whip making things harder. Meanwhile, to ensure your success just use your intellect & keep changing your strategy & you will be fine...for now. Good luck.
    2009 Find Totals (in progress):

1775 King George copper
    3 dollars (2 Presential Washington & 2 Sacagawean)
    3 Kennedy clad halves
    417 Quarters (3 silver dated '34, '48 & '63)
    423 Dimes (includes a few Mercs & silver Roseys)
    1 Buffalo (no date)
    Nickels ?
    Cents ?
    1 key

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1281 times
    certain people are going to ruin it for everybody, abusing the system is the key to this hobby's fate, sure we all abuse the system, but some contribute more than others. I personally think dropping off $10,000 at one bank will quickly get things shut off completely.
    Please note: this post is not directed towards anybody in case somebody thinks this is toward them
    HH
    Buff
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

Nov 2006
    26 times
    It is hard to give a definite answer to that, though I feel that we will all get squeezed a little more as time goes by. I will personally never pay 1 cent to either dump coins or buy boxes (Its a matter of principal). I will do my best to figure out how to use the system one way or the other for Free. It would be very easy at this point for me to criticize the banks but I realize that up until now most have been very good to me and without them I would have very little Silver in the poke. Good Luck. However long it lasts.

us
    Oct 2010
    Oklahoma/Kansas border
    1 times
    My mom and dad were helping my cousin go thru my aunts house after she had passed. Come to find out my aunt and uncle, who passed away 2 yrs ago, had silver coins stashed.

Who knows how many out there were like them. If my dad had not been there those coins might have been put back into circulation.

The coins are in a safety deposit box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors