CanadaCoinHuntings Coin Roll Hunting Log

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
CanadaCoinHunting's Coin Roll Hunting Log

Hey guys. Saw some great posters start up a log for their finds, so I am following in their footsteps in order to not clog up the forum with my results from coin roll hunting pennies, nickels and dimes every week. Below are my results for the week with a few pictures of the more interesting finds.

$250 Dime Box
skunk

$100 Nickel Box
123 99.9% nickel nickels (6.15%)
5 pre-1963 Canadian 12-sided nickels

$25 Penny Box
1028 copper pennies (41.12%)
- 604 1982-1996
- 94 1980-1981
- 246 1953-1979
- 82 pre-1982 American
3 Wheat pennies
10 King George VI pennies
4 dimes 8-)

$25 Penny Box
1051 copper pennies (42.04%)
- 649 1982-1996
- 94 1980-1981
- 308 1953-1979
- 0 pre-1982 American
0 Wheat pennies
3 King George VI pennies

kingresults.JPG wheatresults.JPG pre1963large.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CanadaCoinHunting

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, just thought I would give you the results of my coin roll hunting for the past two weeks. Last weekend the bank didn't have our penny boxes, so I thought I would wait to update this thread until this week. We had some awesome penny boxes this week, which included a box that was 87% copper! Below are the results and a few pictures with our better finds. Hope you enjoy! :thumbsup:

$250 Canadian Dime Box
- skunk

$100 Canadian Nickel Box
- 145 99.9% nickels
- five 12-sided nickels: 61, 61, 61, 62, 62

$250 Canadian Dime Box
- skunk

$100 Canadian Nickel Box
- 176 99.9% nickels
- one 12-sided nickel: 61
- two pre-1960 American nickels: 56, 59

$25 Canadian Penny Box #1
- 1169 copper pennies (46.76%)
- four American 1982 pennies
- one dime
- two 2009 American pennies

$25 Canadian Penny Box #2
- 2187 copper pennies (87.46%)
- two American 1982 pennies
- two foreign coins

Seventeen (17) total Wheat pennies: 19, 37, 41, 41, 45, 45, 46, 47D, 50, 50D, 53D, 55, 55, 55D, 56D, 56D, 57D
Sixteen (16) total King George VI pennies: 40, 40, 41, 42, 45, 45, 45, 46, 46, 47, 47, 50, 50, 51, 52, 52

kingsandwheatslarge.jpg penniesfoundlarge.jpg dimesnickelssortedlarge.jpg penniessortedlarge.jpg

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job!! I love watching your youtube videos, just watched your most recent one with the silver bars, keep at the videos!
HH
Buff

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds my fellow Canadian CRHer. Those dime boxes are harsh indeed, but you averaging more wheats than I do. Keep up the hunt. Also what is the KGVI/Wheat pennies breakdown by the box?
I'm guessing the one that had 87,46% copper had more Wheats/KG VIs.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Comment for:
Did you find any silvers there? No, right?
This is because I have got many Garda wrapped dime boxes and found NO coin prior to 2000 in any of those rolls. Thus I conclude, that Garda culls off nickel and silver. A good advice for future is to pick up only CWR, because only there one can find silver.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you dump the coins that you don't want?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are there canadian coin counters to accept canadian change?
i'd imagine it is probrably more difficult to remove silver from circulation considering all silver is non-magnetic.

OP
OP
CanadaCoinHunting

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
nice job!! I love watching your youtube videos, just watched your most recent one with the silver bars, keep at the videos!
HH
Buff

Thank you BB! Great to hear that you enjoy them.

What is the average for copper in a box for you?

We usually get around 40% in the around box. But recently we have had some high-80% boxes, so I would say that since the beginning of May we have been getting around 45% copper in an average box.

Great finds my fellow Canadian CRHer. Those dime boxes are harsh indeed, but you averaging more wheats than I do. Keep up the hunt. Also what is the KGVI/Wheat pennies breakdown by the box?
I'm guessing the one that had 87,46% copper had more Wheats/KG VIs.

Thank you Canadian hunter! You are so right, the dime boxes have been harsh so far. We are 0-3 with our three boxes so far, but it was expected to a small degree. You are correct, the 87% box had 17 Wheats and 11 KGVIs, which is probably our best box for Kings and Wheats so far. Look forward to see your finds as well!

Comment for:
Did you find any silvers there? No, right?
This is because I have got many Garda wrapped dime boxes and found NO coin prior to 2000 in any of those rolls. Thus I conclude, that Garda culls off nickel and silver. A good advice for future is to pick up only CWR, because only there one can find silver.

Correct, no silver dimes yet unfortunately. I am going to have to agree with you. Our first box had no coin prior to 2000. CWRs is definitely the way to go.

How do you dump the coins that you don't want?

We just bring them back to the bank. Between myself, my brother and my parents, we divide the coins up and bring them to a different branch every week. So each branch only sees us about once every 3-5 weeks. Sometimes we dump the dimes ($250) and the pennies/nickels (~$125) at different branches in order to not overwhelm the bank and to try not to stick out too much.

are there canadian coin counters to accept canadian change?
i'd imagine it is probrably more difficult to remove silver from circulation considering all silver is non-magnetic.

Do you mean coin counters at the bank in order to dump? Up here in Canada we have the Alloy Recovery Program, which does too good of a job of pulling out the silver dimes. I apologize with I misunderstood your question BB.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
^ A very detailed response. Keep in mind that the only way to find silver is CWR. Garda culls off nickel and silver. I enjoy your updates. Keep posting and take a look at my penny hunting log!
Canadian Hunter

OP
OP
CanadaCoinHunting

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been way too long since I updated this log, but I thought I would post my latest results here. :thumbsup:

$100 Nickel Box #35
-157 99.9% nickel nickels (7.85%)
-5 pre-1963 Canadian nickels, including a 1937 King George VI
-3 King George V nickels, a 1927, and two 1929s
-3 1945 chrome-plated steel nickels

Overall, this was a good box with a lot of variety for the older coins. My percentage seems to have dropped pretty sharply over the past few months, so it is nice to get around 8% again for the 99.9% nickels. I'll put a picture and video below if anyone would like to view the results that way. I hope all of your hunting is going well and everyone is having a great holidays!

kingvwartime.jpg

silverlining

Jun 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac (currently used)
xterra 505 (10.5 DD 7.5 khz is currently used with it)
And 2 plasti-dipped pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Other
You are doing great at CRHing!:icon_thumright:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh, ya think? Only a year and a half since your last update, I haven't seen any of our Canadian friends post in some time, glad to see you post:thumbsup:. HH, Maverick.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Another nice box. I like hunting nickels too. Sure wish I could get nickel boxes with all that nickel bullion. Im finishing up my nickel box for the wknd now and so far the only Canadian nickel I've found is just a '98. Liked the video too. Good luck with your next boxes....look forward to seeing your future results.

OP
OP
CanadaCoinHunting

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
Kudos on the KV's
any silver hunting? (dime/quarter)
Thank you MIhunter! I don't have very many KGV nickels, so it is nice to get three at once. I haven't done much silver hunting recently, mainly because I was focused on the pennies while they were still available, but with the pennies gone and the nickels beginning to get pretty scarce, looking through dimes does make a lot of sense. Hope everything is going great for you MIhunter and good luck in your future searches!

You are doing great at CRHing!:icon_thumright:
Thank you very much silverlining! Up here, I get the feeling that time is running out for good yields on coin roll hunting, so have to get what I can at the moment. Thank you again for the kind words and all the best!

Uh, ya think? Only a year and a half since your last update, I haven't seen any of our Canadian friends post in some time, glad to see you post:thumbsup:. HH, Maverick.
Hi Maverick. Haha, yeah, I've been in a bit of a low since the termination of the penny up here. But it is great to be back and I hope you are doing well Maverick! All the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread