Digging in Pennies......dreaming of silver and gold by the handfulls!

Jun 14, 2012
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey...First time poster! Been digging in pennies for one year. Mostly saving copper. Found 15 wheat cents in two boxes last night. Oldest was 1919. It kinda calms my mind after a long day at work.

Went looking for halves today. Found 7 dollars worth. Skunk City. Felt very uncomfortable asking for them. I am gonna spend them on fast food and munchies at the gas station. Not too much hope finding silver so I may stick to hoarding copper for now. Felt like I was not the first one searching for them.

Been hoarding nickels too. I wanna know why people only keep nickels up to 1960. All nickels up to and including present day stuff is 25% nickel and 75% copper. Check out the ECAT machines on the web. They run on cold fusion and use nickel to run. Might make nickel prices rise. I spend money like a love sick sailor so if I dump it into coins it is harder to spend and I keep it longer.

Otherwise...nice to read all the posts on the forum. Lots of fun, smart people out there. I wish I would have started this stuff long time ago. Feels like I am jumping in after the bell. Congrats to all you out there for pulling the real worth money out of the Fed's hands. My two silver coins are a silver dime and a silver war nickel. I have a long way to go and not much time to get there.

Greetings to all! Keep looking....never stop!

Upvote 0

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally just save 1945 and below nickels. After going to different places with coins not seen in circulation (halves, Ike's, and 2$ bills) some cashiers will take a long look others will be shocked, it's quite fun. I've been called ****** and stupid for spending halves and 2s at Walmart by the cashier

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
... I wanna know why people only keep nickels up to 1960. All nickels up to and including present day stuff is 25% nickel and 75% copper...

Because at any moment in time, anyone can get their hands on any quantity of modern nickels at today's (or yesterday's) cost basis. So, there is no reason to hoard them. Put your nickel bullion funds in any other instrument of your choice. When you want nickels, just go buy as many as you want for a known cost.

As to keeping the early dates. They are not rare per se, but their numbers in circulation are decreasing.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Been hoarding nickels too. I wanna know why people only keep nickels up to 1960. All nickels up to and including present day stuff is 25% nickel and 75% copper.

At this moment, there isn't even 5 cents worth of metal value in a US nickel. Nickels are everywhere and there is almost no demand for them. I mean they minted billions and counting...
If you are dead-set on hoarding nickels, at least focus on 1981 and older Canadian nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread