Cleaning wheat pennies

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best not to clean, but show us a pic of the stain if you can.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
There are ways to clean them properly. Sometimes though a properly cleaned coin ends up aesthetically less appealing than the uncleaned one. Like others have said, proceed with caution.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the above posters. If you were talking about junk copper it would be one thing, but an AU coin will most likely be ruined by cleaning it. About the only coins that improve from cleaning are dug coins and coins that are -completely- black like a silver dime I found but couldn't even get a date or mintmark off of it, ended up being a 1957 Roosie.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Some AU wheat pennies (later dates) have little value anyway, but I wouldn't clean it because you might just get into a habit of "It's dirty, I must clean it" which is never good.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug my first wheatie, and it's complelty green. ... I want.... to clean it.... *slaps self in face

I can see its a 1940 - that's about it. Any thoughts.

Also, I ran a morgan I bought under some water, and rubbed my thumb, and got most of the black off - was that bad? <--- serious question

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really?? water, and a thumb? good gravy, won't try that one again. For some reason, I thought water was Okay. The only abrasive would have been the grit already on the coin getting rubbed around. - well, I only did that to 4 dollars. got some better morgans in the bunch that I didn't- a few of them show little wear on the high points. Just getting into coins, so I am very amateur. Can see some of the coins I have go for about 35 bucks on ebay in the completed listings. only paid a slight premium over melt for the morgans ( +1 dollar)

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you reccomend cleaning a penny which isn't worth anything? I have a wheat that is completely covered in this blue-green rust like material. The front is completely covered, to the point that its difficult to even tell that lincoln is on the front, nevermind get a date. The only way I could tell it was a wheat is that enough of the back is readable that I could make out the location of 'one' in one cent and knew just from that, that it was a wheat

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
If it has green crap (Verdigris) all over it, don't even bother... cleaning it will get rid of the verdigris, but the verdigris has already eaten away the details of the coin... In other words, cleaning it will leave you with a pile of unrecognizable crap.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would personally not clean any coin... cleaning the coin may make it look nicer but all value is lost after cleaning a coin.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
How would you reccomend cleaning a penny which isn't worth anything? I have a wheat that is completely covered in this blue-green rust like material. The front is completely covered, to the point that its difficult to even tell that lincoln is on the front, nevermind get a date. The only way I could tell it was a wheat is that enough of the back is readable that I could make out the location of 'one' in one cent and knew just from that, that it was a wheat

You can do what ever you want to, the verdigris ruined the value anyway.

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Remove-Verdigris-From-Coins?ugid=10000000017991989

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never clean any coin - even common wheats that sell for a profit in bulk on eBay become worthless junk that can only get you a negative feedback when you try to dump them off on someone.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not okay either. If you don't know specifics on different cleaning techniques and what it does to coins, dont mess around with them.

I was talking for low value coins. I would never clean high value coins by myself (would only send it off to NGC conservation).

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard form local coin shop to use olive oil because its all natural. They said they do that to there coins that are valuable . They also said ot doesn't hurt the value.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard form local coin shop to use olive oil because its all natural. They said they do that to there coins that are valuable . They also said ot doesn't hurt the value.

Olive oil is acidic - not as acidic as say lemon juice (which is also all natural and not a good idea for valuable coins). Anything acidic poses the risk of removing patina. If that happens, you lose pretty much all numismatic value of the coin.

If you have a circulated coin that has some value but needs cleaning, carry it in your pocket for 18mo. That will effectively "clean" it to some degree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread