Banking on half dollars, box 3

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
That's way better than me. Nothing in the last 5 boxes. 4 90% from some the bank had laying around. ??? :'( :'(

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
It seems that some boxes are outstanding and some slow. But any is better than the skunk we all get from time to time. Good luck at the new bank. I did find that armored truck companies seemed to make a difference on silver I found. Not sure why though. Perhaps they have a way to take out some silver, perhaps they service way more banks.

One thing is for sure. That same bank that gave you a skunk one day or a small amount could easily hand out a big bang for you. I would grab halves from anywhere and everywhere if I could. If you have no problems with turning the clad ones back in then all is good for another day's hunt.

Rev

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
That's still a very nice box,congrats. :) I've gotten plenty of boxes one after another that had a big fat goose egg. lol

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you have to realize about boxes is when you remove the silver and turn the halves back in, those halves will go back to the company that rolls them and you will at some time get them back. For you to continue getting the silver they will have to make their way to the rolling company by other means. Bottom line is though you are going to find them much faster than other people are going to turn them in and replenish the supply of the rolling company, so basically the finds will be scarcer and scarcer. An average box for me for a period of 2 - 3 years was 25 - 30 40% and a couple of 90%. For the last year I have been lucky to find 5 40% per box, and have gotten skunked the last 5.

Immy, since you are keeping the totals for the year, I forgot to post some I found stopping at several banks on a trip to Missouri for a CW relic hunt. Add 3 90% and 82 40% to your count. HRH all.

OP
OP
The Gemologist

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well thanks for all the positive feedback, great info and support. I will mention that in Box 1 I found a mis-struck coin, grease in the die and estimates of that coin on ebay, might bring $30 or more.

Last night i went thru the clad and found another error coin, a 1995 with the 5 "gone". so that might be sellable on ebay.

I'm also looking for the 1974, D double die, but haven't found one yet

I sounded a little sad but yep I'll take any silver

Thanks Tom, now on to box 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread