Looking for more than silver

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I was happy to find a Walker in the third roll of today's box and then 47 rolls later I was still happy to have found it. While I was dumping some coins at the bank, I kept noticing how shinny a couple of halfs in the tellers tray were, I could see that they were 2000 somethings. When she was done with my exchange, with a dollar at the ready, I asked her if they were halfs in her tray. She said, yes and they are real shinny. I showed her my dollar and asked her if I could have them. I told her that I thought they were proofs but couldn't see without my glasses (readers) to know for sure. She asked me how I could tell and I told her about the S mintmark and she looked and said, yes they are as she handed them back to me. I told her that I collect coins and that they were impaired proofs because of not being in the cases and she asked me what they were worth still in the cases because she had some, some silver and gold. I told her about the local coin shop but how he would act like he didn't want them but that she could at least check with him to get an ideal of their value. I told her to make a list and I would try to check to get a rough value for her and that maybe I could do a little better than the coin shop. I don't know where it will go with her but if I can get some proof sets for a good price for both of us it might work out. If nothing else she was happy to talk about the coins which makes dumping easier. Found a couple of nickel proofs in a box this week and the war and buffalos from a couple more. Dimes were 1 each per box.

6-16-12-mix.jpg 6-16-12-mixb.jpg

Attachments

• 6-16-12mix.jpg
    6-16-12mix.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Were the proofs clad or 90%?

2003 S: 2,172,684
2003 S: 1,125,755 (90% silver)

2004 S: 1,789,488
2004 S: 1,175,934 (90% silver)

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Were the proofs clad or 90%?

2003 S: 2,172,684
2003 S: 1,125,755 (90% silver)

2004 S: 1,789,488
2004 S: 1,175,934 (90% silver)

They were both clad. I think the Teller would have scooped them up if they were silver because she threw it out that her proofs sets were silver and even gold. I switched this BOA bank from a pickup to a dump a few months ago for no special reason other than the fact that I was not finding anything except from the few sealed boxes that I got. After I got a few boxes that had been openned and surprisingly were also skunks, I quit picking up there and just recently started dumping there.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow congrats, proof nickels are hard to come by, and the walker is a beauty,
HH
BUff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, other than cents, proof nickels are the hardest to find.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Minkey still keeping clad?? why? The walker looks pretty good is it worth more then the silver in it??Am glad theres one guy in crh for the hobby and not just the money it must be nice!!! Great finds Let me know if you need some worth less clad.I can save it for you befor i dump it all. If any one does'nt know minky is the one that got me to start crh. It took him 2 years and hes my 1st cousin. No one works harder then him at finding what ever he can. Thanks minkey.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Hey Minkey still keeping clad?? why? The walker looks pretty good is it worth more then the silver in it??Am glad theres one guy in crh for the hobby and not just the money it must be nice!!! Great finds Let me know if you need some worth less clad.I can save it for you befor i dump it all. If any one does'nt know minky is the one that got me to start crh. It took him 2 years and hes my 1st cousin. No one works harder then him at finding what ever he can. Thanks minkey.

Yes, I am. Why? Because I'll keep whatever I decide to keep regardless of whatever closed minded single views or opinions you may have. I don't care if the only value you can place on a 67 year old Walker is its weight in silver and not weather it fits into or is maybe the key coin of mine or someone's collection. It is just sad that the blinders which you chose to wear keep you from seeing clearly the pure beauty of holding a proof nickel in your hand and how the slightest tilt or motion changes the shimmer and shine of it. I plan on leaving my collection of silver and coins for my wife and then our son, who says he doesn't even want them but, hopefully because it is one of the things that I leave him, he will cherish them for that reason if none other. Maybe later the Mercury or Barber dimes or even the dateless Buffalos will grow on him and he will keep them and maybe one day even pass them on down to his own children.

If clad is truly worthless to you then yes, by all means send me all that you can, I will even reimburse you for the cost of shipping.

Why does it bother you what I or anyone else here keeps? If you need to worry about something, walk into the bathroom, stand in front of the sink and look up, start there and you won't have time to worry about what anyone else here does or how much clad they may be keeping. Besides quite frankly, in private or public, it is no ones business what I or anyone else here does with their own money but, as you choose to not grasp this and also fail to understand the points I have plainly made to you previously about the subject maybe you can just keep your six year old level singsong badgering clad crusade to yourself.

By the way it is spelled Minky, Minkybodl.

Kyle came over from Orlando on Saturday for Father's Day. He is taking me golfing tomorrow at the Venice Golf Course across from the pier. We have a 7:15 tee time.

Last edited:

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now now minkey you know i don't care!! Who keeps clad or what ever!! I only care about my self. To each there own. You know i have a little clad. Just a few proofs and the odd stuff. Am thinking of putting it in my will for you!! At least your son is smart and doe'nt want that crap. Happy hunting and keeping all the clad makes it easy to find something every day... Thanks for all the kind words cus..

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
If I followed Minky's post correctly, his son doesn't want any coins, even silver.

Your correct Sagittarius, he has a good job and is making good money and time wise he doesn't think CRH is worth the trouble. My cousin reads in whatever he wants and "tries" to write regradless of what is correct. He doesn't struggle with the truth, he just makes up his own as he goes along. You can't pick your family, only ignore or hang up on them.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
My cousin reads in whatever he wants and "tries" to write regradless of what is correct. He doesn't struggle with the truth, he just makes up his own as he goes along. You can't pick your family, only ignore or hang up on them.

At the quoted point in your post, it sounded like you were making a Dos Equis commercial.:laughing7::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread