Mercury Dimes - pretty sure I got a 1916D

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, a few months ago I pulled a very worn 1916 mercury dime. No mint mark was visual with the naked eye. However, I took a photograph with it and blew up the picture. I am 99.999% sure I see a worn D there. I have had mixed opinions from those that have viewed the picture, mostly from my super skeptical significant other, but I am sure it's there. I plan to upload a picture very soon, but I'm lazy and I finally wanted to post this thread.

Does anyone know how PCGS will treat this? I need to get it graded. How do they determine what a mintmark was if it's so worn it can't be seen without the aid of a camera? I heard they can blast it with shortwaves and get an accurate picture of the mintmark, anyone ever heard of this? I'm wondering if I should call them.

Went through three boxes of dimes yesterday ( I don't count the fourth skunk brink box, I hate those things).

Box 1 - 52d roosie
Box 2 - '43 merc (x2), 42 merc
Box 3 - 23d merc, 64 and 61d roosies

I'm killen these mercs. I can't wait to find out if I got the holy grail, the 1916-D. I will keep you all updated!!!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is, you got the queen right there!

would love to see the pictures... probrably an "S" based off of no pictures, but you never know!
HH
Buff
p.s. on a worn merc, the "S" and "D" kind of look the same to the naked eye, to me at least.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey thanks Buffboy, always the kind of info I am looking for. you are a good man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread