Solid bag of dimes!

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally I don't post because I don't have anything great to post about, but yesterday I had to drive out to the town where my 3 favorite supply banks are, the ones that sell me bags of whatever they have and are more than happy to get rid of them. The town is probably 20 miles from me, but I go there every week...

This past Friday I got
6 bags of pennies
5 boxes of pennies

Yesterday I got
1 bag of dimes
5 bags of pennies

Since I have horrible luck finding silver, I normally just stick with the pennies..

Anyway. My wife usually busts my chops hard about my activities, but as long As it doesn't interfere with her agenda, she normally doesn't care, but the first time something goes wrong, it's always, "well if we didn't have to spend an hour going to get change today!"

Anyway, the first 4 or 5 handfuls into the bag I got 1 mercury and 3 Roosevelt's. And I just kept saying "found another one, found another one." so eventually she put the baby down, and came over and started helping me, which was a huge surprise. After she found 5 herself I couldn't get her to stop and pick the baby back up!

Anyway, long story, here's the gravy.

29 silver dimes

2 barber 1905 and 1916
8 mercury (1 was corroded really badly)
19 Roosevelt's

Definitely a solid bag. My last two bags I picked up from that same bank, but different branches had 11 and 7 silvers, so I made out pretty great last night!

We also got 5 boxes of halves to pick up on Friday, which I'm sure will be a waste of time, but maybe we got a little luck streak going..

Upvote 0

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
that's a years worth of finds for most people that search a box a week (and most don't ever find barbers). congrats!

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
that's a years worth of finds for most people that search a box a week (and most don't ever find barbers). congrats!

Now if AgHawk were still around, he would say: "I seem to remember there was some member who found more barbers than that in a box. I'm going to try to find the old post about it." Then 10min later: "I found it." - with a link to a CardsnCoins post.

For some reason, he was good at "seeming to remember old posts" that were CNC posts. He did that a number of times.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a solid bag indeed and a trifecta, congrats! that's a lot of pennies, i would be right with ya searching all of those if I could get my hands on them,
HH
Buff

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
a solid bag indeed and a trifecta, congrats! that's a lot of pennies, i would be right with ya searching all of those if I could get my hands on them,
HH
Buff

Yeah dude. I can get probably 4-5 hundred in pennies a week without ordering anything. It's getting a little labor intensive, and I have had no luck selling them on the bay because I sort out the wheats and Canadians...

Oh well I guess, I guess I'll just keep siting on them

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah bags from the counter.. I'm not sure how high volume it is. There's only like 50000 people that live in the town, and there's seriously 10 banks there... I don't know what the story is, but between the three branches I can pick up at least a bag or two at each branch. The busiest branch is always more than that, the 5 I got on Thursday of last week were all from the busiest branch in that town.

I will normally pick up a box or so from a few of the other banks out there while I'm in town.

It's pretty solid for now, it almost makes me wonder how much longer it will last for... I guess I'll just keep going until they tell me no more

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Awesome.... Good for you. I have never had that much luck with dimes around here.... Never have found anything older than silver Rosies. Congrats.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would LOVE to have a source for coin bags, the bank with coin counters in my area have a strict policy, "we do not sell coins off the coin machine"

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad I finally got the mrs into it a little bit, maybe I won't have to listen to her gripe about going there now!

It's great, it's a little bit tougher to get the dimes, it takes longer for those bags to fill up. I've been asking for halves but they never have a full bag...

The pennies are always a definite though.

I think I'm going to open an account at the bank so I don't have to worry about getting rejected, which happens from time to time

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure it would be... I'm getting 5 boxes of halves tomorrow so maybe I'll give it a shot. With the way the dimes at these banks have been I bet the halves would be a home run!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions