Convinced couriers are stealing my silver enders

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting halves in this area for about six months now. Everything was fine until last month, I got two boxes that each had one end taped up. I pulled off the tape, and I could see each end was ripped. now, at banks across two towns pretty close to each other, I have about a 50% taped up end of box rate. sometimes it's both , sometimes it's one, and sometimes it's neither. I'm not sure the courier, they're NF string and son wrappers (yellow, rectangular box). The first time it happened to me, one box had 11 silvers, and one box had 3. Could the courier have seen an ender, ripped open the box, and replaced it with maybe some stock rolls he had brought himself? it's not the bankers, because some of them don't even know about silver (according to their teller trays), and it's happening across town, all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure they all come from the same delivery truck.

What do you guys think? it's pissing me off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems fishy. No logical reason for a box to be opened and taped.

my thoughts exactly. not to mention it started happening at multiple pickup banks all around the same time. I'm not sure how to proceed, I may have to cut my losses. I'm still finding silver but who knows what I'm missing out on? I haven't gotten any enders since this started happening

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
As long as the box has that much silver, cherry-picking couriers do not make sense to me, especially considering the professional risk involved.

Because boxes are very heavy for their size, they are often dropped.
Also, they are sometimes literally thrown from one pile to another.

We have opened boxes that actually have loose coin in the bottom and split rolls inside.

A damaged box would then be re-glued or taped up.

JMHO.

Keep on Rollin' !

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the driver just dropping the half box into a busket which was put on the ground on top off a hand-truck. I am surprised that most boxes are intact when they get to our hands.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, the boxes rip open due to weight.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely appreciate all your input. you're all probably right, I may not be taking into account the way the boxes are handled. to me it just seemed like it started happening all at once. as far as consistency of the tape job, I'm not entirely sure, that would've been a great observation to have made. Maybe I'll cool it a bit on the paranoia

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Or the bank is opening the boxes just to make sure the roll count is correct. Like they might when a merchant or other customer cried "Hey! You guys shorted me a roll of .......... in that last box." I get a box of cents, nickels and dimes every other week from one bank in particular, and for a while every one of them was opened and taped.

With halves it is usually apparent that someone dropped the box somewhere along the way.

Rascal

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I get taped-up boxes from time to time. They always look like they've been dropped -- crumpled corners, oil stains, scratches in the cardboard. I open every box (even the ones that look okay) in front of the teller and do a quick roll count and make sure they're all about the right height.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I get taped up boxes all the time, with plenty of enders. Every time I get a taped box, the teller will always explain that they or the courier dropped them on the floor while being brought into the bank.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I had that happen to me where every box was suddenly always open and taped up at just one bank week after week for about a month an a half. For a while it wasn't just a damaged corner the entire end had been openned. After getting a couple of boxes where it looked like every roll inside had been unrolled on one end and then rerolled, I talked to the VT about it. The carrier told her that he couldn't do anything about it because the trucks were already loaded when he got there in the morning but, suddenly my boxes started coming undamaged again. Since then I have had a box or two damaged and taped that the VT said she saw get dropped at the bank. I posted about it back in Feb or March, I didn't think it was the Bank Tellers either.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crhstreetwalker said it all. They open and they tape them up with enders still in the boxes.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after a little over a year of nothing but the flat NF string boxes i placed a couple orders with a bank that is supplied by the cube shaped boxes. Brinks i guess. I really dont like the way the rolls are wrapped in those boxes. They all seem opened to me. Out of 4 boxes i did manage a ben,1964 and a 1966. However those all came out of one box that the rolls seemed wrapped much tighter. Needless to say i will not be ordering from banks with those boxes anymore. I just get a bad vibe from them. Especially now that there is no more tape on them and anyone can open them and snipe enders!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, and I really shouldn't be telling y'all this, but the mint accidentally struck some of the 1987Ps on plutonium planchettes. They have been on the lookout for them ever since. My source says that once the coins are boxed at the fed, they are loaded on a spaceship for delivery to Loomis. The couriers then break open each box in zero gravity and check each roll with a Geiger counter. Once the rolls have been given the all clear they are put back and the box is taped shut. So, there you have it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting halves in this area for about six months now. Everything was fine until last month, I got two boxes that each had one end taped up. I pulled off the tape, and I could see each end was ripped. now, at banks across two towns pretty close to each other, I have about a 50% taped up end of box rate. sometimes it's both , sometimes it's one, and sometimes it's neither. I'm not sure the courier, they're NF string and son wrappers (yellow, rectangular box). The first time it happened to me, one box had 11 silvers, and one box had 3. Could the courier have seen an ender, ripped open the box, and replaced it with maybe some stock rolls he had brought himself? it's not the bankers, because some of them don't even know about silver (according to their teller trays), and it's happening across town, all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure they all come from the same delivery truck.

What do you guys think? it's pissing me off.

Has it ever happened? Without a doubt it has. Does it happen regularly? I seriously doubt it. I know (in this economy especially) that I wouldn't risk my job and possible criminal charges for a $10 coin or two.

The most likely culprit is the boxes are damaged while being loaded or during transport. The weight of the coins in the box can do some major damage if the box is dropped. Way back in college I spent a few years working part-time for one of the major package delivery companies during the Christmas rush. I can assure you those boxes are not treated gently at all. In fact, I'm shocked that any "fragile" package makes it to its destination unscathed.

Try this: take a sealed box of halves, lift it about waist-high, drop it so that it lands on a corner of the box, and watch what happens. You'll be a lot less suspicious. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should say it added to my suspicion that the first time I got the two taped up enders there was an end coin missing from one of the rolls. the only box I ever got shorted a coin

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are allowed to turn down the boxes if they are tampered with. I had started getting opened boxes instead of taking them I turned down 2 of them and it stopped very suddenly. I think it was an employee CRH in my particular situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread