Bank tellers failed 2nd grade math

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Yup.

Told a teller once that she had given me too many $100 bills....

You should have seen the other two nearby teller's heads snap around.

She denied it, but I made her count them again....after which she had a new attitude.

Always keep your eye on which shell the pea is under.

Keep on Rollin' !

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen to me once, for an overage... the teller gave me back 4x $100 bills when my change was supposed to be 4x $20 bills, the teller blushed, she was new. I can understand sometimes, like sagittarius98 stated, people do make mistakes.

davetheexpert

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Being a bank teller can get pretty redundant just counting money all day. They stop paying so much attention after a while 'cause it gets so boring.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People make mistakes, hippopotamus cyborg mutants never make mistakes. YMMV.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its me most of the time!! I mess up all the time i hate to say.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
It is good that you told her about her mistake. The tellers are responsible for the money in their drawer. If there is a shortage at the end of the day, she might have been to make it good out of her own pocket.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I have had them make so many mistakes that I try to do their jobs for them anymore. I try to keep everything in round numbers and I make sure that I know what I have rolled and what the final total should be. I don't know how much I might have lost before I realized that they were making mistakes, giving me to much money which I always gave back and I'm sure I got shorted trusting them to be able to count. Now they know I know and they struggle to get it right but still make mistakes both ways.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bank is liable, not it's minimum wage employees.

That is my guess.

Also, if you KNOW the teller has overpaid you, then you need to be honest. It's the friggin bank, ultimately, you will not fool them.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
It is good that you told her about her mistake. The tellers are responsible for the money in their drawer. If there is a shortage at the end of the day, she might have been to make it good out of her own pocket.
Common misconception...
What is the truth then?

If at the end of the day the teller comes up either short or over, the drawer is recounted, usually by the head teller. All of the transactions will be reviewed, the cash in and cash out tickets, everything. If it's a significant enough amount, the security tapes might be reviewed. Often times the customer will come back a day or two later, explaining that he got too much or too little.

If the error cannot be found, the action taken depends on the amount. If it's a minor amount, say less than $20 (from what I can recall), no action is taken, other than rebalancing the drawer. If it's a significant amount, $20 seems to stick in my head for some reason, then the teller gets a ding on their record. Enough dings and you get fired. If there's any evidence of foul play, you get fired and prosecuted.

I once had a $20,000 shortage. I was working in the armored car division, and I came up short $20k - in food stamps. Food stamps are treated as cash, only they can't be reused. I ended up having to take a lie-detector test to prove that I didn't steal them, even though they were worthless! Turns out that they were later found in another bag that a different teller processed and didn't tell anyone she was over until the next day! :BangHead:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they dont count it out in front of you for no reason despite the reading on the cummins machine. Its for the cameras.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a teller almost short me $100 when cashing in $500 in rolled halves. There were 5 rows of 10 rolls in between us... she had to call the other teller over to verify it. 2nd grade education is almost right... I think they learn to count by 10s in 1st grade. Another teller tried to give me back $100 too much. Just be sure to pay attention when they count your money back to you. If they try to give you too much, be honest with them & give the $ back - it could save their job if you do, and it can totally change their opinion of us "annoying" coin roll hunters.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a teller give me 12 rolls of pennies when I gave her a $5. I said you gave me to extra and I handed them back to her :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions