nickels?

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I was just wondering if it's worth sorting nickels or hoarding them. What kind of numbers do you get with nickels? And have you found any in change or just in boxes? I was thinking about asking for nickels in my change and just hoarding them that way rather than buying them in boxes. Not sure if they are worth the effort

Upvote 0

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a debate about wether it's worth it to keep nickels other than war nickels. I personally keep pre-60 nickels as well in hopes of metal prices increasing/ selling for a profit in the future. Looking at my averages, I average about 1 war nickel per box equivalent, and a buffalo about every other box. I know there are some who do better than I. When I do a box though, I get at least 2 war nickels. CWR hasn't been nice to me for nickels.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't think it is a good idea to have so much invested in nickels right now, copper is where it is at... now I do not save either copper nor nickel, but have been considering putting aside $25 in copper pennies, 1 box of copper pennies is only a $25 investment worth $54.86 in copper melt... this is from coinflation.com:
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Total Face Value:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, He
lvetica]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Coin Type:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]1909-1982 Lincoln Copper Cent[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Copper Price: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]$3.3257 / pound[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Zinc Price: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]$0.8249 / pound[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Answer:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Total melt value is $54.86.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Statistics:

» There are 16.2839 pounds of copper and 0.857 pounds of zinc in $25.00 face value of copper cent(s).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

and a box of nickels... $100 and worth $96.44 in melt value.
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Total Face Value:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, He
lvetica]$100.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Coin Type:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]1946-2012 Jefferson Nickel[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Copper Price: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]$3.3257 / pound[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Nickel Price: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]$7.5207 / pound[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Answer:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Total melt value is $96.44.

(Exact value is $96.44011420059. $41.450763345585 worth of nickel, $54.989350855005 of copper.)

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Statistics:

» There are 16.5347 pounds of copper and 5.5116 pounds of nickel in $100.00 face value of nickel(s).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

don't save the nickels! unless they are pre 1982 .999 nickels currently worth 7.5c each.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't see why hoarding nickels makes sense yet. Unless you believe that the US dollar will collapse very soon, I wouldn't hoard nickels.

The first reason being that they aren't close to being either pure copper or pure nickel. 40%ers are hard to sell and silver is (and always has been) worth a whole lot more than nickel and I'd imagine would be a lot easier to refine. Pennies are better, 95% copper compared to 25% nickel.

Of course if we wake up tomorrow to find that the dollar has collapsed, putting a few hundred in nickels makes sense because you'll still have purchasing power while someone with a few $100 bills has no purchasing power.

For myself, I generally average 1 war nickel for every $125 searched, and a buffalo nickel for every $300 searched. I've never gotten a V nickel in a box, CWR or bag.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I save all pre 1965 coins (accept 1964 nickels). With the hope of increased numismatic value, and the main reason, when the dollar crashes, and everything hits the fan, i can sucker people into buying a 1940 nickel and sayings it worth $10. Im a prepper. Bug out bag is ready. Canned food, gallons of water, knives, ect. Plus the car is always backed in ready to go.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all pre 1965 coins (accept 1964 nickels). With the hope of increased numismatic value, and the main reason, when the dollar crashes, and everything hits the fan, i can sucker people into buying a 1940 nickel and sayings it worth $10. Im a prepper. Bug out bag is ready. Canned food, gallons of water, knives, ect. Plus the car is always backed in ready to go.

I've got a bunch of pre-1965 nickels, and I'll make you a great deal on them now!! Thinks of all the profits you'll make when the dollar crashes and people give you 10 (now worthless) dollars for these coins!! Please act fast!!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I go through nickel rolls but only because I am trying to complete a circulated set of Jeffersons and always looking for war nickels

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ben Cartwright SASS said:
I go through nickel rolls but only because I am trying to complete a circulated set of Jeffersons and always looking for war nickels

Don't forget to save the pre 1982 Canadians. 0.999 pure nickel if you find them.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
D1MES_101 said:
I have about 95 pounds of copper cents - how much is that?

Roughly 145 pennies per pound. That is copper ones. They have a weight of 3.1 grams a coin so you can do the math from there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread