Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Just don't get on personal objections guys, keep it cool.
In my opinion, tellers should not sell silver coins for more than face value inside the bank. Saying that, you can always drop a word to invite one to the near located Starbucks :occasion14:.
At that point a teller is a private seller and not the bank's employee. I personally wouldn't buy silver coins in bank for over the face value, first of all in what way in h**ll I would buy a quarter for more than a quarter. Just because it is silver and sits in the same tray with any other coin it should have a "face" value of different amount?
Common sense guys, bank is not a craiglist nor ebay.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Just ask politely, lots of smiles. If you have a child, don't be afraid to pull the "I'm getting my kid into coin collecting" card and let them ask with a big toothy smile!

jwalz

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can offer to buy them, I buy silver for an agreed price with one of my tellers. At Bank of America I just have to put the money in a bank envelope and then pass it back to her. She obviously can't take cash in the window and stuff it in her purse but apparently an envelope is ok. Might be different by you.

that's so illegal on her part. If she gets caught she will be fired I'm sure. She has to sell them to you at face value they belong to the bank at that point. If she takes them home and sells them to you there then that's a different story.

Sent from my Droid X using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't feel the banks are obligated to accommodate your hobby.

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked at a bank and use to leave thecoins I found separate from the tray but also in my drawer in a ziplock so that I could add to it with new finds. If they are her coins then she has purchased them or swapped out the clad for the silver and might just leave the bag there for her future finds. If they are not in the coin tray they are not included in her draw tally. Most banks do not allow employees to separate their exchangeable coins outside of the normal separation that the coin holder has aside from the full rolls that are kept separate. My guess is they are her personal finds and that you have no right to try and buy them unless you pay her for them directly outside of business hours. No one else at the bank has the right to sell them to you either. I personally would keep my wallet and cell phone in my drawer that does not make it the banks property because my teller station was also my workspace from 8 am until 4 pm. I would also leave my glasses along with my bag of silvers in my drawer over night even if I went on vacation they would be there and I would expect them to be there when I got back.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love the negative-Nancy CRH forum lurker! I do see your MD posts, CS-M, and I am jealous that you pull silver from the dirt.

No one is obligated to do anything!

Smile, Lie, smile, lie lie. "Oh, My little brother and I are into coin collecting"
"oh, me and twin girls really love to find old dimes"
"These coins are for my dad, he can't make out of house for very long, anymore"

Not really nessesary, but we are talking about money here. 'The root of all evil.'

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some tellers save silver for certain customers. I have had friends that were "in" with a certain teller or convenience store clerk and they would keep any silver set aside for them to buy at face value when they came in. It would be my guess that since the money was in the drawer in a baggie that clad had already been exchanged for them and the teller was either saving them for someone or keeping them herself.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's so illegal on her part. If she gets caught she will be fired I'm sure. She has to sell them to you at face value they belong to the bank at that point. If she takes them home and sells them to you there then that's a different story.

The coins I buy from the tellers are not from their drawers or trays, she has them in a envelope in her purse, so it is not "bank money". It is not illegal and it is not breaking any bank policy as long as the money is in an envelope. If you are not comfortable doing business that way, ask to sit down in the lobby or go to the nearest restaurant or sit on a bench outside, whatever works.

I don't feel the banks are obligated to accommodate your hobby.​

Thank you for stopping by, we welcome all opinions on this forum.

OP - Let us know how it goes when you make your sales pitch!

HH All,
Bigheed

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're saying when you go to the bank and request $100 bills and the bank gives you $10 bills, you won't say anything? what if you went to the store and had $0.90 back in change and you got 18 nickels? wouldn't you say something?

same with our hobby, we request our change back a certain way at the banks- in forms of boxes or rolls... what's wrong with that? you have a problem, leave. I was going to go on, and believe me, I can, but I am not getting myself in trouble.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
you're saying when you go to the bank and request $100 bills and the bank gives you $10 bills, you won't say anything? what if you went to the store and had $0.90 back in change and you got 18 nickels? wouldn't you say something?

same with our hobby, we request our change back a certain way at the banks- in forms of boxes or rolls... what's wrong with that? you have a problem, leave. I was going to go on, and believe me, I can, but I am not getting myself in trouble.

Agreed. Those 4 boxes of halves should be no problem to a bank. It sure looks weird, but it's only your business why do you so many half dollars and not the bank.
Have anyone here asked a bank to change a 100$ to 100 1$ bills?

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im going to go in the day the teller is back and offer to buy them either there or somewhere else. I will post my result then :)

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
The banks are not obligated to accommodate the hobby. It is a burden on them that they tolerate to some degree.
Some banks are more accommodating than others.
Some hobbyists are more demanding than others.
When the bank's tolerance and hobbyist's expectations overlap, neither feel put out. When they don't overlap, there is a generally minor conflict and the parties either adapt or part ways. No big deal.

Private property owners and public governing bodies are not obligated to accommodate detectorists. Some are more accommodating than others. Some detectorists are more demanding than others, etc, etc,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions