Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk with the bank manager, but dont say anything about what type of coins. just say you want to purchase these specific rolls and for some reason the previous teller wouldnt let you with no reason. is she hiding something and you want those specific rolls

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't , that is going behind someones back, especially since they are not advertised out in the tray but in her drawer.

Also, if this is a bank you frequent you may risk being cut off. Even when she gets back if you demand them the manager may force her to sell them to you but then cut you off from ordering boxes, dunno if you do or not but just speculating.

Best to deal directly with the source.

Bigheed

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't , that is going behind someones back, especially since they are not advertised out in the tray but in her drawer.

Also, if this is a bank you frequent you may risk being cut off. Even when she gets back if you demand them the manager may force her to sell them to you but then cut you off from ordering boxes, dunno if you do or not but just speculating.

Best to deal directly with the source.

Bigheed

+ 1 on that, I believe it is never a good idea to raise a fuss. Don't burn your bridges, there is allways more out there. We've all been denied something at some point, just say ok and walk away, you don't want to be " That Guy" everytime you walk into the bank after that.

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i didnt order a box from them I just took there hand rolls. The bank tellers do not leave a tray on the counters its in drawers and her stash was in a plastic bag in the drawer. So when the drawer is open you can see it. Im thinking i will have to come in on the day she gets back and offer to buy the stash. Is that even legal buying coins at the bank for more then face value? I can understand a teller taking a few coins home at the end of the day but to leave a stash where people can see it and is there for days isnt right or am I being stupid?

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I'd say she is a picker. And that's her little stash.
It's no different than her paying some change and keeping in there for the pop machine lol.
But of course...she won't use them.

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough thanks guys im new to this so i wanted to know your opinions first before i did something foolish

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That latter. Just move on.

I wouldn't say that's a stupid thought. he's right, if she's stashing the coins she should swap them out and not leave them in visible sight of customers. the teller should know better than to go on vacation with her silver stash next to all her other exchangeable coins.

That being said, I would not demand anything. If it's her stash, I believe she has rights to it, regardless whether or not she shouldn't have left it where someone else could see it. If someone broke a window in your car to steal some CDs (outdated example, lol) you left out, and your friend tells you "well you shouldn't have left them out in the open!", you would agree you shouldn't have left them out right, but definitely would not agree they had the right to steal them I assume.

Long explanation short, she shouldn't leave them at work, but even more so you shouldn't demand her stash.

Trust me man I feel your pain, I hate when tellers leave hoarded silver in plain view and/or snipe in front of me. it's just plain rude. I would snipe silver left and right if I worked at the bank but you better believe me the silver would be gone at the end of every day.

Dick Dale rules

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
They aren't with all the the coins?? They are in a bag, out of sight.
Just because she didn't buy a tiny little safe for her work, doesn't mean she hasn't already exchanged clad coins for the silver.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can offer to buy them, I buy silver for an agreed price with one of my tellers. At Bank of America I just have to put the money in a bank envelope and then pass it back to her. She obviously can't take cash in the window and stuff it in her purse but apparently an envelope is ok. Might be different by you.

Oct 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first of all its not legal to refuse to sell the banks money. it is illegal to claim it as yours when it still belongs to the bank. that is stealing. your choice to do the right thing your not stealing from her because there not hers they belong to the bank .

Oct 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
think about it . thereason there still at work is they belong to the bank. If you wait for her to come back and work a deal with her your stealing from the bank and thasts a felony buddy

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dawsoncity40chris, at first i had trouble understanding what you meant and then I realized you are trying to say the bank owns the silver coins, and if you try to buy them from the teller then you are stealing from the bank. What I think you should know is that initially the bank owns the coins because the bank gives the unknowing person exchanging silver face value, as is required by law. however, many tellers then exchange their own money (face value) for the coins because they are worth a premium. At this point the bank doesn't own the coins anymore, the teller owns them. some tellers unfortunately leave their silver stash in their bank drawers instead of bringing it home. There have been other posts on this forum where a CRH has purchased a stash a teller left at the bank. It is not federally illegal to buy the silver from the teller at more than face value if that individual has already purchased the coin. I would assume though that they should conduct the sale outside of bank property, though this may be branch policy.

snoogins

Last edited:

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a lawyer, but plays one on TNET.
think about it . thereason there still at work is they belong to the bank. If you wait for her to come back and work a deal with her your stealing from the bank and thasts a felony buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread