1972 penny silver?

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Im not sure but was unrolling my first box and i found a coin that looked pretty white in the roll I thought it was going to be a dime but it was a 1972 penny. Whats it worth?

not the best quality.
iRxwTKiZ6rtYi.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture totally not clear and way too big

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know the worth, but the cent missed the copper wash at the mint. I have several zincoln's that have partial wash missing......NGE

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
so mines worth nothing?

Try taking better pictures with the macro (flower symbol) feature. Most likely it is just plated, so 1 cent of value. If you post better pics, it may be something else, but I can't tell right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try taking better pictures with the macro (flower symbol) feature. Most likely it is just plated, so 1 cent of value. If you post better pics, it may be something else, but I can't tell right now.

how can I my iphone sucks at taking pics close up.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probrably just painted/worn, though it is a copper, not a zinc, likely not worth more than 1c.
hh
buff

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Be very careful handling it, it may be coated with mercury. I did this back in the day with many cents, when I had no sense......nge

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put it in a metal frying pan or directly on your stovetop coil if you have the old kind (not the flat ceramic kind), if it turns from silver to gold its just a chemistry class experiment called "Magic Pennies".

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
put it in a metal frying pan or directly on your stovetop coil if you have the old kind (not the flat ceramic kind), if it turns from silver to gold its just a chemistry class experiment called "Magic Pennies".
and if it doesn't I just could have messed up a rare coin?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we need better pictures, front and back, possibly even the side of the penny, to try to determine what is wrong with the coin...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread