Coppercrazys Coin Roll Hunting Log

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Coppercrazy's Coin Roll Hunting Log

I have just gotten into the coin roll hunting hobby and thought it would be cool to post some goals of mine for the year 2012 and my finds. So far I have only been searching boxes of pennies and I have ordered a box a week but might bump it up to 2. I will start doing some customer rolls of dimes or nickels very soon.

Upvote 0

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope to see your results here. I like the idea of coin logs, because it makes it very concise and accurate, plus decreases the overall amount of threads.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I'll probably do a recap every week or something and do uncommon/rare finds here. You know standard stuff.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ordered a box of pennies from my mdain bank I actually do banking at and then I went to go pick them up and they said "Sorry we sold them to business customers instead." I mean come on I ordered them for a reason so they SHOULD have kept them for me. Oh well about to go around to 5 or 6 banks and just pick up some customer rolls from each.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok, so ended up getting 2 brinks boxes this week and $35.00 in customer rolls. $10.00 in customer rolls I got was a skunk, no copper or anything. I also did $10.00 of nickels just to try it. Out of my pennies I managed to get a total of 37 wheats, all 30's 40's and 50's except one was a 1920, but already got one. I've been putting them in a jar that counts them as I go. Out of the nickels I got a 1941P (Nothing Special) and that's it. I only ordered 1 box of pennies but I'm going to see if I can get $50.00 of pennies Thursday. I am EXTREMELY determined to get my first indian head cent even though it may take 50 boxes!!!! I have also been searching for the "common" errors and have gotten NOTHING! :BangHead: I'm going to start saving my $$$ so I can get enough for a box of pennies nickels and dimes every week. At the moment I only have $120 to work with. :/

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Alright so picked up a $25 box of pennies today and it was the best box I've had so far! I pulled 23 WHEAT PENNIES! I pulled a 1958d wheat penny in VF condition. I didn't however, get any error pennies. I'm going to see if I can get another box tomorrow! :)

23 Wheats.jpg
VF 1958d Wheat.jpg
VF 1958d Wheat Penny.jpg

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Really? I'm not a very good grader, still a beginner. Thanks for the info though!

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yeah I saw the back of it when searching and I was like, "Please be something rare, Please be something rare" flipped it over and was like "Great the most common wheat penny you can find..." But whatever it still looks nice! :)

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok, so getting up early tomorrow morning to go to all of the banks in the area to pick up some dimes and halves to see if I can get any silver and at the end of the day I will pick up a box or 2 of pennies to increase to my wheat collection and hopefully eventually find an indian head! :laughing7:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should sell some rolls of wheats off to add to the bank roll so you can get into hunting halfs ...ive only been doing here and there for acouple weeks i have found 2 90's and 26 40's

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
you should sell some rolls of wheats off to add to the bank roll so you can get into hunting halfs ...ive only been doing here and there for acouple weeks i have found 2 90's and 26 40's

A roll of wheats would only sell for a $1-$2. Not worth the time it takes to sell one.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Alright in my box of dimes I had 2 silvers, a 1963 and 1964! :occasion18: I'm going to go through my box of pennies in a little bit and look for some wheats and errors. I am also upping my goal for silver dimes from 10 to 50. It would just make me feel so much better if I could get a full roll by then!

silver dimes.jpg

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coppercrazy said:
Ordered a box of pennies from my mdain bank I actually do banking at and then I went to go pick them up and they said "Sorry we sold them to business customers instead." I mean come on I ordered them for a reason so they SHOULD have kept them for me. Oh well about to go around to 5 or 6 banks and just pick up some customer rolls from each.

Hey coppercrazy, reading your post, I could tell you were annoyed that they gave your box to business customer but I just wanted to point out that banks have to give priority to their business customers over cr hunters. When you go in to the bank, and something like that happens, if you just accept it graciously and say oh, ok, no problem, maybe next week, they will remember you and want to take care of you if they possibly can. Having good relationships with your tellers can really pay off in the long run, IMHO. HH

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Hey coppercrazy, reading your post, I could tell you were annoyed that they gave your box to business customer but I just wanted to point out that banks have to give priority to their business customers over cr hunters. When you go in to the bank, and something like that happens, if you just accept it graciously and say oh, ok, no problem, maybe next week, they will remember you and want to take care of you if they possibly can. Having good relationships with your tellers can really pay off in the long run, IMHO. HH

You're right but they said they would hold it for me and I came first thing in the morning to pick it up. Literally about an hour after brinks came. Oh well I'm over it, ordered a box of dimes and cents for next week. They said sorry and they will be sure to make sure they hold them for me, because apparently they forgot they were even suppossed to give me a box.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Out the pennies I got 25 wheat pennies that were all 1940's and 1950's...I also got a 1991 error that was a weak strike, no "Li" in "Liberty" no "In G" in "In God we Trust" and the 1 in the date is barely visible. Maybe I'll call around and see if I can get another box Monday.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Called some banks all 5 I called said I could swap out dime rolls. All said they had at least $100 worth, so I'm going to 15-20 branches tomorrow to see if I can get maybe 10 silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread