Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys

i am moving to scotland in august for the next four years for school with my ball and chain :laughing7: anyways seeing as how there isnt much activity on the locations section under scotland I thought I would ask a few simple questions: Is coin roll hunting big in scotland ? What should I be looking for as I am still researching UK money . Can you even get coins in scotland? Thanks all!

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a metal detector, and find something.

They do not have silver coins in circulation, Brinks and loomis cull over there. sorry. <-- actually, I know nothing of their currency, but the depressed euro countries debased their monies with CuNi right around WW2.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem is that they switched to decimal currency in the 1960s. The old threepence, sixpence, and shilling coins are still redeemed by banks but do not circulate alongside the current coinage. Silver was removed around 1946. They were debased from 92.5% to 50% in the 1920s.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, it is impossible to CRH in the UK being as no coin older than 1971 circulates because the 5p and 10p were reduced in size (same size as the old shillings and Florins).

Metal detecting is certainly an option, but check out the laws, Europe in particular has bizarre laws when it comes to metal detecting.

It is fairly easy to get burnt when it comes to UK coins as an American because it is a whole different mindset. First, condition is paramount, Spinks (the Red Book of British coinage) doesn't even list prices for grades less than fine. What is considered "old" over there is completely different than over here in the US.

There are 6 main periods of British coinage:

Celtic coins
Roman coins (often overlaps with Celtic coins)
Hammered coins (ranges from the departure of the Romans until midway through Charles II Reign)
Early milled coins (ranges from mid-Charles II up until the start of modern milled coins with the advent of steam powered minting equipment in the later 1700s)
Later milled coins (ranges from the later 1700s up until decimalization in 1971)
Decimal coinage (1971-present)

There are also different grading standards with British coins, very few dealers will use the Sheldon scale (see CoinsGB-Grading for details)

I'd suggest picking up a copy of Spinks (The Standard Catalog of English coins), due to the pound/USD conversion rate it is a pricy book, but if you want to do anything with British coins it is essential (see http://www.amazon.com/Coins-England...d=1341104689&sr=8-1&keywords=Coins+of+England ).

If you've got any British coin questions feel free to shoot me a PM since that is primarily what I've been collecting.

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks generic and everyone else too. Ya I was wondering about my hobby if I will be able to transfer it over there. So I will have to try my luck at MDing but as i have heard there is not much coinage to find in scotland it would be more along the lines of artifacts is this true? So if i want to try to get older silver coins I will have to buy them in coin shops I am guessing?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thanks generic and everyone else too. Ya I was wondering about my hobby if I will be able to transfer it over there. So I will have to try my luck at MDing but as i have heard there is not much coinage to find in scotland it would be more along the lines of artifacts is this true? So if i want to try to get older silver coins I will have to buy them in coin shops I am guessing?

Depends on where you are I suppose. In general, Scottish coinage (pre-union) is rarer but generally is in less demand and therefore has lower prices than their English counterparts. I've never actually set foot in the UK so I can't really tell you where the good places to MD are.

Your best bet is to gain knowledge and go antique store/coin store hunting. There are a lot of rare varieties out there, especially with hammered coins and Victorian coins.

Knowledge is essential.

If you want the age, you can find Roman coins for cheap, and hammered coins aren't too bad. Expect to pay about $50 for a nicer condition Edward I penny, or about $10-15 for worn ones. You can sometimes find medieval coins sold as scrap on eBay and I'd expect you could find them as cheap if not cheaper in stores.

Coins of the UK is a great site for values, pictures and basic history.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be going to Scotland too....but only for a few days to sightsee. Do you know any good places to visit, other than Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Loch Ness/Inverness?

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Borthwick castle is pretty cool I hear. Um the farmers market and edinburgh castle are all really cool. Other then that you could check out the highlands and of course the famous first ever golf course although I dont remember where its at exactly. But ya have fun in scotland and and you should try to find a few antique or coin shops and do some coin hunting just save some for me ;)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Borthwick castle is pretty cool I hear. Um the farmers market and edinburgh castle are all really cool. Other then that you could check out the highlands and of course the famous first ever golf course although I dont remember where its at exactly. But ya have fun in scotland and and you should try to find a few antique or coin shops and do some coin hunting just save some for me ;)

St. Andrews would be the golf course. I will be searching my change for some modern pound commemoratives and some coins missing for my collection. I might buy out some pound coins from convenience store cash registers.

The 2 pence coin can be CRHed maybe to find a "New Pence" 2 pence coin from 1983.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-1678228/Have-I-found-a-2p-coin-worth-700.html

Last edited:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
St. Andrews would be the golf course. I will be searching my change for some modern pound commemoratives and some coins missing for my collection. I might buy out some pound coins from convenience store cash registers.

The 2 pence coin can be CRHed maybe to find a "New Pence" 2 pence coin from 1983.
Is my 2p coin with New Pence on it worth £700 | This is Money

Unlikely you'd ever find the 1983 "New Pence" 2p. 1983 coins were not issued for circulation and were only in sets. The chances of finding -any- 1983 2p is slim since it is NIFC and British proof/uncirculated sets are usually worth a bit more than their American counterparts making it unlikely someone would break open the set to spend it.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe bring some of your finds over with you and see about making trades. stuff that is common here might be unique there and vise-versa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions