Depositing/Dumping Bags of Coin - Any experiences?

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Good day all,

I would really like to start dropping off sealed bags of coin to banks for dump/deposit. The good thing is I have a number of banks around with coin machines. But it is a hassle having to change bags, clean sensors, and the occasional machine going down.

I think it would be a good proposition for both parties if the bank takes a sealed bag from me with $500 or $1000 or halves, quarters, dimes, etc. Save us both time & effort.

Please share you experiences negotiating with managers, which banks are more likely to do this, etc. Thank you for your help!

Happy Hunting! - Jonathan

PS - Dont forget to pick up some extra coin for the 4th!

Upvote 0

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are lucky enough to have this option (out west). I can do this but the coin gets sent out to be counted and then credited to my account, this takes days or sometimes longer. If you have a big bank roll it could work otherwise not so much. Some did this at TD but I think they cut all that off a little while back. It's alot of work dumping coins and I think if we could all dump in bags we would search alot more and would cost the banks even more money.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to talk any banks into trading bags for cash. Around here they all say the same thing, "The coins have to go through the machine."

Maybe you'll have better luck.

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
My banks will only accept bagged Ikes, and that's only because you can't really find wrappers for them. The one time I did it they were nice enough to credit my account right away. Everything else has to be rolled.

The Wells Fargo branches around here take bags, even of mixed denominations, but from what I hear they don't credit you until it's been counted at the central facility.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
One credit union here will take a full bag of rolls ($500), give me immediate cash, then the tellers have to unroll and refill bag with loose to send out. Rare deal.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring in your bag of rolled halves & tell them to keep the wrappers for you & you will pick them up tomorrow when you bring the next bag in. Then repeat 100 times before you tell them they shoulda just ordered those 2 boxes of halves u requested-now they face the wrath of your dumps.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can even go twice a day ;)
Bring in your bag of rolled halves & tell them to keep the wrappers for you & you will pick them up tomorrow when you bring the next bag in. Then repeat 100 times before you tell them they shoulda just ordered those 2 boxes of halves u requested-now they face the wrath of your dumps.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

They will probably cut you off or bring up fees before you complete the process.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Human beings make mistakes. If one bag of halves gets lost, you will lose $500. That's the risk. I once lost two bags of Nickels. It was very hard to trace back and lots of phone calls and even looked up 48 hrs of the security video. That was in 2009 when silver coins were plenty so I wrote off easily as a cost of the hobby.

When doing the exchange (if you have this option), make sure that whoever gets your bags write a note with number of bags, how much (assumed) in each bag, and stamp with the actual date and the teller's ID number. Keep this little note/receipt until the money credited to your account. If you can't get these logistics in line then don't do it. Some counting machine will "eat" dimes so send one small bag of dimes to test the water fast. I used to drop bags at two banks but only one bank for dime bags because the other bank's machine ate some of my dimes ($913 for $1000 as I remember).

Tellers often used their chair as the cart to move around the coins, so 6 bags per trip is enough; 6 bags of halves weighs 150 lbs and most female tellers can push around. If it's more than that either the chair can't handle the weight or the ladies can't push around. They don't like make two trips for our "not-really a business activities".

Now I don't do bags anymore even the manager offered the option to me. The finds are so little that I can't justify a lost bag if it happens. Second it is just a hobby for me and more CRH means less time doing other things. But good luck to you if you want to try this route.

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After about 8 months of CRH using coin machines to dump I finally found a bank that would allow me to bring in Coin-Lok bags. It is pretty much as awesome as you could expect. Buy one of the little carts online and gather as many coin bags as possible, and your set to search big volume every week. The biggest tip I can give anyone trying to get a coin bag dump bank is to establish a good relationship with the vault teller.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Human beings make mistakes. If one bag of halves gets lost, you will lose $500. That's the risk. I once lost two bags of Nickels. It was very hard to trace back and lots of phone calls and even looked up 48 hrs of the security video. That was in 2009 when silver coins were plenty so I wrote off easily as a cost of the hobby.

When doing the exchange (if you have this option), make sure that whoever gets your bags write a note with number of bags, how much (assumed) in each bag, and stamp with the actual date and the teller's ID number. Keep this little note/receipt until the money credited to your account. If you can't get these logistics in line then don't do it. Some counting machine will "eat" dimes so send one small bag of dimes to test the water fast. I used to drop bags at two banks but only one bank for dime bags because the other bank's machine ate some of my dimes ($913 for $1000 as I remember).

Tellers often used their chair as the cart to move around the coins, so 6 bags per trip is enough; 6 bags of halves weighs 150 lbs and most female tellers can push around. If it's more than that either the chair can't handle the weight or the ladies can't push around. They don't like make two trips for our "not-really a business activities".

Now I don't do bags anymore even the manager offered the option to me. The finds are so little that I can't justify a lost bag if it happens. Second it is just a hobby for me and more CRH means less time doing other things. But good luck to you if you want to try this route.

You should work where I do, them poor chairs can hold over 150 lbs. very easy, in some cases 3 times that weight....:laughing7:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost bag? Never heard of that happening. I fill out all my CoinLok bags before exchanging so if they ever are lost it is traced back to me. I have done hundreds of bags this way, never a problem. I also exchange directly for cash.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other

I have some favorite dump banks, too. They have coin machines & both gave me a real hard time about ordering coin. One manager even called the branch down the street to cancel the order the other teller just called to get for me. I love dumping there. This is when I realize (and my wife realizes) how addicted I am - "just give me the darn coins!" I joke about it --but, in reality, this is not a joke!

Thanks for all the input. I guess I have so many coin machines in my area I don't really need to drop off bags, especially if the funds will get tied up.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One manager even called the branch down the street to cancel the order the other teller just called to get for me.

man, that's harsh, i would dump extra hard on her branch... that does not go well with me if a teller from another branch calls the branch down the road to cancel my order...

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One freaking branch manager in one area even called the central vault that if anyone order halves tell them to go to US mint. No one can order halves in that whole region. I don't what got to her. Some guy ordered 20 boxes at once?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost bag? Never heard of that happening. I fill out all my CoinLok bags before exchanging so if they ever are lost it is traced back to me. I have done hundreds of bags this way, never a problem. I also exchange directly for cash.
You are blessed with all the competent tellers!

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, guys. There is obviously only one way to correctly dump in coin deposit bags. It's simple, and once you realize it, you are going to want to kick yourselves. Simply put your deposit bag of rolled coins inside of a coin deposit bag to dump them. Sheesh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread