thinking of buying a COOL BLUE Ryedale Penny Sorter

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Order small amounts from multiple different banks. I ordered 20 boxes one week at my cu, and when I came to pick them up the teller told me her manager limited it to 5 boxes from now on...

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Order small amounts from multiple different banks. I ordered 20 boxes one week at my cu, and when I came to pick them up the teller told me her manager limited it to 5 boxes from now on...

so i could order like 4 from 5 different banks each week

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have them already, you'll need dump banks lined up as well as order banks. A Ryedale will be all but useless if you can't get rid of all the zincolns.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I ordered 4 boxes ($100) from a total of 20 different banks. many of hte same bank, but different branches. PIcked them all up, and had 80 boxes. Did the same thing 2 weeks later, and they had no problem in it. Ordering only 4 boxes, only every other week, is something most branches are okay with.

That gives you 160 boxes to start. Believe me, it will take a while to go through 160 boxes. In fact, I stocked up on a few hundred boxes before the end of the year, so that I got them before the new year influx came, diluting the copper even more. I still have about 30 boxes left from DECEMBER! I think I ordered 250 boxes or so. haven't ordered ANy since then, although if I had the time ot work these faster I would order long before I am out. This way it is not all at once for them. When i get down to about 10, I'll order 80 more. Still only 4 boxes from each branch, and branches I have not ordered pennies from since December. They don't consider that oo often or too much. :-)

Dumping IS an issue though. I'm okay with that, but make sure you get that lined up, as about 80% of what you pick up goes back to the banks. Be aware of that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just went to the bank and asked for 2 boxes of pennies, got them... they look to be mostly new 2012 pennies though, so be aware of that too...
hh
buff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If u order small batches from several banks u are less likely to get 10 boxes of all new cents. Also, CWRs tend to produce higher rate of coppers for me... Get some of those

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MoneyBags,

I think it really depends what works for you. Personally I am not willing to drive to 20 banks each week. That seems a little excessive and my car isn't great on gas. I would start out small and work your way up. You need to figure out where you're going to be returning the coin first. Ordering coin is easy.

If you're sorting 100k a week a ryedale will open up your week. But if you're like me that free time will be filled by more sorting, ordering and returning.

If you're just sorting for copper, and not looking for varieties/errors a ryedale isn't a bad investment. They are solid machines and worth the investment. The time you'll spend sorting will drop to a couple hours. Which is a great advantage.

my 2 cents as a former Ryedale user...
~JobIII

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi MoneyBags,

I think it really depends what works for you. Personally I am not willing to drive to 20 banks each week. That seems a little excessive and my car isn't great on gas. I would start out small and work your way up. You need to figure out where you're going to be returning the coin first. Ordering coin is easy.

If you're sorting 100k a week a ryedale will open up your week. But if you're like me that free time will be filled by more sorting, ordering and returning.

If you're just sorting for copper, and not looking for varieties/errors a ryedale isn't a bad investment. They are solid machines and worth the investment. The time you'll spend sorting will drop to a couple hours. Which is a great advantage.

my 2 cents as a former Ryedale user...
~JobIII
thanks I would just call on the phone then pick them up when they get there and yea dumping the coins im not sure where i would do it yet.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Build your own sorter! I did it and so have many members on this site. If you like tinkering with electronics and figuring out how things work, you can build a sorter that can sort about the same capacity as a Ryedale for about $100 or less. If you have questions, all you have to do is search "penny sorter" in the search box and post it to one of the threads. If you are looking to fo the easy route, go with Ryedale, I have heard nothing but good things about the sorters!

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are good at tinkering maybe this is a good idea. Ryedale's are not exactly cheap machines. I personally was not able to construct a sorting device. Thought about it for a while then opted to just spend some cash on a professionally built sorter. I'm not gaining from supporting Ryedale's products. I just feel they are very efficient, reliable, have replaceable parts, and if you maintain your Ryedale it will have a high resale value (that is if you sell it while copper is still in circulation).

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks I would just call on the phone then pick them up when they get there and yea dumping the coins im not sure where i would do it yet.

Where are you from? What state?

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Build your own sorter! I did it and so have many members on this site. If you like tinkering with electronics and figuring out how things work, you can build a sorter that can sort about the same capacity as a Ryedale for about $100 or less. If you have questions, all you have to do is search "penny sorter" in the search box and post it to one of the threads. If you are looking to fo the easy route, go with Ryedale, I have heard nothing but good things about the sorters!
I am not good with this sort of stuff I wish I was theres no way I could ever make one like Ryedale.

If you are good at tinkering maybe this is a good idea. Ryedale's are not exactly cheap machines. I personally was not able to construct a sorting device. Thought about it for a while then opted to just spend some cash on a professionally built sorter. I'm not gaining from supporting Ryedale's products. I just feel they are very efficient, reliable, have replaceable parts, and if you maintain your Ryedale it will have a high resale value (that is if you sell it while copper is still in circulation).
Yea i think I will buy it soon I want to do a few more boxes by hand first.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't offer any advice for that state. If you were on the east coast I would suggest you look into returning coin to a TD Bank near you. They have coin counters.

Before you buy a Ryedale. Find out how many banks in your area have coin counting machines. Avoid Coinstars because they will fee you. Most large chain banks have counters and lots of branches. This turns out to be a win-win for the sorters.

~JobIII

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I can't offer any advice for that state. If you were on the east coast I would suggest you look into returning coin to a TD Bank near you. They have coin counters.

Before you buy a Ryedale. Find out how many banks in your area have coin counting machines. Avoid Coinstars because they will fee you. Most large chain banks have counters and lots of branches. This turns out to be a win-win for the sorters.

~JobIII
ok thank you I will call them if they dont what does it mean in regards to not buying the Ryedale?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It will be harder to dump if you have to reroll your cents.

Ok thanks i will call some banks I was just planning on depositing the money from the pennys into my dump banks account. so if i have 10,000 dump pennys its 100$ that gets deposited.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're only sorting $100-300 dollars a week. It may not be that hard to find a couple banks that will allow you to bag your coin and have it counted then get credited to your account at a later point in time. Personally this is a fall back tactic for me with Half roll hunting, because it ties some funds up for 1-2 weeks. But for pennies it isn't that terrible. Bags are easier than hand rolling and coin counters, but you'll be delayed from getting the money. Also there's no way to argue the total if it seems off to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread