Need help identifying reject bin find

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I was dumping my last box of halves and filled the bag. I work at the Credit Union where I dump so we opened the machine to change the bag. I always check the interior reject bin and found this

ClawCoin1.jpg

First time any of us have found a claw in the coin machine. I included my only keeper from the box to keep the post on topic. Interesting that the curve of the claw almost exactly matches the outer edge of the half. Here are a few more shots of the claw.

ClawCoin2.jpg

ClawCoin4.jpg

ClawCoin3.jpg

Anyboby here have experience IDing what this was origionally attached to?

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start with a dog.

Or, we could go absurd, and say Eagle Talon.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I agree "What Is It" Forum... by the way I think it is too big for a dog.:dontknow:

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be the illusive 1876-S Griffin Talon DDO

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odd for sure... i am just wondering why you took it home!!
hh
buff

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puts a real meaning to the phrase "Get my claws on some silver"

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You work at the credit union you dump at? Man, how sweet is that! Talk about having a sweet hook up to dump coin at! Thats definetly got to be nice. I'm surprized I'm the only one that said something about it. HH, Maverick.

JohnBear

Apr 11, 2012
Saint Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a black bear it's to thin to be that I'm wanting to say a badger or a porcupine but the fact it goes light to dark from the root makes me think it's from the K-9 family and the fact u can see the quick so much makes me think of a dog

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. Quite a range of possibilities. BuffaloBoy, I brought it home because everybody at the CU wanted to know what kind of claw / talon it was. I figured I could find somebody on the net that would know. maverick, it is a nice dump situation. I was friends with the head teller when I got serious into coin hunting. She told me to bring the coins in. After a while the branch manager said I was there so much he might as well put me to work so I took a part-time position there. I like the job and occasionally find some silver or wheat cents.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. Quite a range of possibilities. BuffaloBoy, I brought it home because everybody at the CU wanted to know what kind of claw / talon it was. I figured I could find somebody on the net that would know. maverick, it is a nice dump situation. I was friends with the head teller when I got serious into coin hunting. She told me to bring the coins in. After a while the branch manager said I was there so much he might as well put me to work so I took a part-time position there. I like the job and occasionally find some silver or wheat cents.

Thats very cool! None of the banks I pick up from have any tellers that coin roll hunt really, well 1 that collects Ikes, but thats it. Nice situation you have there, must take some self control to not order or dump heavy there. Nice story, HH, Maverick.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why someone would pluck the nail out is beyond me :icon_scratch: If I had to guess, I would say it's from the eagle family and the bird was very mature due to the thickness of it.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats very cool! None of the banks I pick up from have any tellers that coin roll hunt really, well 1 that collects Ikes, but thats it. Nice situation you have there, must take some self control to not order or dump heavy there. Nice story, HH, Maverick.

Your situation is good too, not silver-culling tellers.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A teller broke her nail opening my half rolls

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread