what to do with saved copper pennies?

thtr12

May 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a local coin show today and tried to sell some $25 of copper pennies in my brinks box.
Nobody was interested, even people who sold copper ingots.
So will you just have to hold on to them until the law banning melting is removed?

The wheats were an easy sell though (just 47). Also sold all my found war nickels (just 5).
kept the older 40s-50s nickels in rolls and buffalo nickels but probably sell them too later.

Also seemed the prices for things were way higher than just ordering on ebay,

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoarding all the silver & copper I can to act as my new 401K invesment plan & to have it for the emminent upcoming doomsday. Also, once we become a cashless society the cent met law will be passed & I will at least double my money when I cash in my copper cents at metal recycling centers.

Is this before or after the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man terrorizes us?
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sit in my closet in a 5 gallon bucket, they dont move, make alot of noise or eat anything.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all packed away broken down in 5 lb bags in my basement, in a cooler. Dont know why I put all of them in a cooler, just seemed like a big sturdy container. I have sold some lots for a small profit, to which I have paid down my car loan or used to increase my CRH bankroll.

dmb062082

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper is worth 3 dollars 62 cents per pound as of today. There is a nifty website called Coinflation.com and on the site they have several base metal coin melt calculators. What the calculators do is determine the melt value of a preset number of coins you may have. I assume they pull their values right from a stock market ticker.

For example lets say I enter in 1,000 dollars (an easily obtained amount) of pre1982 pennies into the calculator. As you see it breaks down how many pounds of copper and how many pounds of zinc are in my bundle of pennies. The calculator then takes the current melt value of the 2 metals and combines them for an overall melting price of which happens to be 2394 dollars and 13 cents as of this post. That’s absolutely correct 1,000 dollars in pre-1982 pennies would yield you a profit… yes profit… of over 1,300 dollars for their metallic value alone.

I am just getting into this hobby, and made a video and blog post about penny searching. Its a lot of fun. You can view it here.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Lol! You all have to read this website! This guy claims all cents from 1908-1958 are wheat cents. Yes that's not a typo he says 1908-1958. Needless to say if you find one of these 1908 wheat cents the 1943 bronze will be put to shame. Hahahhaha

dmb062082

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched for pre-1982 pennies in Google and these were the top results... these 4 posts. So I would like to discuss as much as possible. I'm not trying to sell anything, at all. Nor do I advertise on my website. I just like the hobby of searching for copper and silver! its great fun. Not really trying to argue over anything or break peoples chops.... just enjoying the fun fella.

As for the multi-million dollar bronze penny it doesn't exist in circulation. let me know if you find one. Wheat pennies are 1909 to 1958 right? Thanks for picking apart my post and pointing out my mistake. I plan on correcting it shortly. I'm fairly new to saving and stacking, its a great thing I found this forum I bet everyone here is ultra friendly.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to get a hit on a buyer for my $200 in copper pennies on craigslist, I have stopped collecting until I could find a buyer. I am about to turn them in for face value to buy a down imaging/GPS fish finder for my boat. I have a few other toys sold from my old race car that will get me a base model but I would really like a wider screen and side imaging if I can swing it and that money would about do it at face value.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
The_EE said:
I have yet to get a hit on a buyer for my $200 in copper pennies on craigslist, I have stopped collecting until I could find a buyer. I am about to turn them in for face value to buy a down imaging/GPS fish finder for my boat. I have a few other toys sold from my old race car that will get me a base model but I would really like a wider screen and side imaging if I can swing it and that money would about do it at face value.

I have sold a ton of copper cents via eBay. Everyone says that it's not worth it but I've found though the profit margin is small it is still a profit margin.

dmb062082

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold a ton of copper cents via eBay. Everyone says that it's not worth it but I've found though the profit margin is small it is still a profit margin.

I actually have thought about selling and I have decided to hold on. Even if I could make a profit (and I believe like you I could) I do not want to sell them. The way I look at it one of two things is going to happen over the next 10 years.

1. An economic collapse: Copper / silver / gold value will be put beyond worth. (Food & Water first)

2. The economy doesn't collapse: This ensures inflation. The metal will rise in value over time.

Its a win win. I would hold and keep if for your kids or grand kids if no other reason!

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My doomsday preparation happened about 6 years ago. Jesus spoke to my soul and told me that I was lost and headed to hell. I called out oN HIS NAME AND HE SAVED ME. I am not preparing to stay here I am prepared to leave. As far as saving copper I say save whatever you want and What makes you happy. Fee bay they always sell.

Jesus is great isnt he? And I only save wheats

dmb062082

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesus is great isnt he? And I only save wheats

My oldest wheat so far is a 1928.

Type: Wheat Penny
Year: 1928
Mint Mark: No mint mark
Face Value: 0.01 USD
Total Produced: 134,116,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: 35 cents to $175
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around 35 cents, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $175.

I dont know what condition professionally it is in but I would like to hope its nearer 175 dollars!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
My oldest wheat so far is a 1928.

I dont know what condition professionally it is in but I would like to hope its nearer 175 dollars!

The third post today taken from CoinTrackers. Why are these people taken seriously? I am really getting frustrated. Those values are incorrect. The coin is worth $13 in pristine condition.

Good site to grade:

PCGS Photograde Online

And get a Red Book.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_EE said:

Copper pennies = lowrance structure scan! Every fishing boat needs one! HH

narf

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will buy 1.5x shipped.. Please let me know who is interested. kushesh101 at hotmail dot com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread