what to do with saved copper pennies?

thtr12

May 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a local coin show today and tried to sell some $25 of copper pennies in my brinks box.
Nobody was interested, even people who sold copper ingots.
So will you just have to hold on to them until the law banning melting is removed?

The wheats were an easy sell though (just 47). Also sold all my found war nickels (just 5).
kept the older 40s-50s nickels in rolls and buffalo nickels but probably sell them too later.

Also seemed the prices for things were way higher than just ordering on ebay,

Upvote 0

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You could just keep em, or go over to realcent.org and post em up for sale in their 'buy it now' section. Someone will take it I'm sure.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know am going to make cannon balls. With mine!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have about $25 FV in hand sorted pre 1981(to be 100% accurate), i am really considering dumping them even though i don't need that $25...
hh
buff

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have about $25 FV in hand sorted pre 1981(to be 100% accurate), i am really considering dumping them even though i don't need that $25...
hh
buff

I have about $75 and feel the same way I dont know what Im going to do with it I need to stop saving them. Im gonna stop doing pennies anyways though, they are fun but how many pounds of copper and wheats do you need? I mean what a wheat cent worth 2-3 cents?

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 200 lbs of copper cents & I will continue to search cents & save copper. Why? Because I'm hoarding all the silver & copper I can to act as my new 401K invesment plan & to have it for the emminent upcoming doomsday. Also, once we become a cashless society the cent met law will be passed & I will at least double my money when I cash in my copper cents at metal recycling centers. Plus they dont make silver & copper coins any more. There are more reasons but this is just some basic brief reasons. So go ahead & cash in your sorted copper cents. It will be more for me to find.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine sit in a big pretzel jar which is almost full. Makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Homer is carrying the water jug of coins across his front lawn and drops them which causes them to plunge deep into the ground. Hello? China?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not hoarding copper pennies for doomsday. I'm hoarding liquer, which will be much more in demand, and much more valuable.
Now, if I could just quit tapping into my booze stash.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you been tapping into that "liquor" haven't you..... lol :-)

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the point of hoarding for doomsday? It's soooo ridiculous. IF you actually knew what TYPE of disaster was imminent you may have a CHANCE of survival. There are literally hundreds of doomsday scenarios...... If you stock up penny's and build bunkers what will it matter if an asteroid hits the earth? What then smarty pants?.....you really think your just gonna wait it out in your bunker eating your MRE's?.....LMFAO. Sorry bud,your dead and so is everyone on the planet.
Now let's say you actually knew what type of disaster was coming, say nuclear explosion near you. OK, maybe if your prepared for that particular disaster, you might have a slightly higher chance of survival then the next man. SLIGHTLY.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the point of hoarding for doomsday? It's soooo ridiculous. IF you actually knew what TYPE of disaster was imminent you may have a CHANCE of survival. There are literally hundreds of doomsday scenarios...... If you stock up penny's and build bunkers what will it matter if an asteroid hits the earth? What then smarty pants?.....you really think your just gonna wait it out in your bunker eating your MRE's?.....LMFAO. Sorry bud,your dead and so is everyone on the planet.
Now let's say you actually knew what type of disaster was coming, say nuclear explosion near you. OK, maybe if your prepared for that particular disaster, you might have a slightly higher chance of survival then the next man. SLIGHTLY.

I think it means more of financial doomsday.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I just got a box today, a lot of shiny new coins mixed in, can never have enough copper IMO. Some people have a hard time deciding what to do day to day besides trying to think about what might be a good thing in the future and everyone has to weigh their own set of circumstances in any descision. Hard to not be able to see that if something is worth 2-3 times its face value right now, except for a melt law in place, that it would be good to get as much as possible unless you need that money that you are tieing up and can put it to better use. I think putting away 10-15 dollars a week in copper with a true value of 30-45 is a great way to save besides the fact that every cent you save is right there if you ever do need it. As long as your money is tied to something of value, gold, silver, or copper it will always have some real value.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't do alot of copper cents hoarding, but I do try and go through a box every now and then. It seems that are definetly disapearing from circulation so, there must be some reason to hang on to a few. They don't make them anymore is one good reason I believe to keep some stashed away. Maybe not in our lifetime, but maybe in our childrens there will be a good demand for them( another reason I search everything I do) so this is why I keep everything I find( silver and copper), I may not need it when I'm older( I'm 40 now) but my kids may benefit from me saving all this stuff if it's left when I pass away. Everybody has their own reason for hoarding what ever they do, and there is no real answer to this question of " why should I keep my copper" kepp it if you want or get rid of it, it is a very small investment though, and nobody nows whats going to happen in the future, but I'm keeping what I have just incase. HH, Maverick.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactally right maverick, very well said.
I will be honest, i sell my 40% silver halves, but that is besides the point... there were literally hundreds of millions of them made... 846,745,006 to be exact, and that is circulation
strikes, not even the silver proofs.

i do however save all my 90%...

and back to the origional post... i will continue to save copper here and there, but the bulk majority of the copper i own now are wheat cents... BU, etc.

keep on searchin'!
buff

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
My doomsday preparation happened about 6 years ago. Jesus spoke to my soul and told me that I was lost and headed to hell. I called out oN HIS NAME AND HE SAVED ME. I am not preparing to stay here I am prepared to leave. As far as saving copper I say save whatever you want and What makes you happy. Fee bay they always sell.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
So are you saying I should switch to beer?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I had a few boxes of copper cents...I got tired of moving them around and finally dumped them in the sorter. There are easier ways to make money but it was still fun searching them. They are the dirtiest coin to search through but hey they might be worth a nickel a piece some day and when you can sell them everyone will be racing to buy those boxes.

Maine_Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I couldn't move my copper. Over a ton. But I have sold a lot of copper, all for 60% profit. How many stocks can you buy and gaurantee a 60% profit if you decide you want to dump it?

I'm saving yes, but people need to stop saying it is ONLY for the future. It sells NOW< IF you want to sell. PLus I keep the wheats, which I could sell for 200% profit any time I wanted (3 cents for each common one I paid 1 cent for) I paifor my ryedale in 8 weeks, and that's not iuncluding the FUN I think it is to go through boxes of pennies and sort them out. :-)

Oh, and Jesus is a busy guy, because he saved MY soul too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread