I am the GOD of silver- What the heck is going on here LOL

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Well, short and simple. I thought Id never ever ever beat the box I got a few weeks ago,
as posted in the "Am I dreaming, still in shock" post.

Wrong ! This is getting a bit ridiculous - in a good way. How is this possible.

Heres a picture of the box when I opened it. Looks similar looking through the holed side too,
goodies everywhere.
woah1.jpg

Can you spot all the good ones ? Hint : bottom right corner is a '64 too :)
Next up - the whole haul.... this is ONE box worth.
woah2.jpg

Top row, Walkers. Next two rows Franklins. Bottom row 1964's. Stack of 10 on the right are 40%

Again, another huge 90% - 40% ratio. I have no clue whats going on , and where these are
coming from, but wow... Im getting spoiled silly. I feel like a hog haha.

/boggled

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
U

Ushuaia

I want to start into buying rolls of coins. I cannot afford to buy $500 in half dollars though. I will buy dimes. How much does a box of dimes go for? How do you find a bank that will do this? Finally, how do you choose your box?

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
I think the dimes box is $250 worth ( 50 rolls) Others can verify, I may be wrong. I used
to do the dimes, but just bought hand-wrapped dimes from banks. You can find a good amount
of silver in dimes if you get lucky. I had a roll once with 7 rosies and a mercury.

As far as what you do, just ask the bank to order you a box of dimes. They know what to do. You dont
have to pick anything... they will order, and when it is delivered to the bank, you go get it. Just a simple
exchange of cash for coin.

Give it a try, its fun.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raptor-
That box came from a bank? Do you just call them and say you want $500 worth of halves and that's what you get? I'd love to try this, but that box of coins has got to be a highly unusual find, no? If not, let me know what bank you use!
Steve

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Cheffer...
Well, they dont come like this all the time no LOL. It was just a lucky result of good timing or something...

However, in the last month, I have gotten 3 incredible boxes full, similar to this one. Have also went for 8
full boxes in a row, with zero keepers too. Complete skunks. Its just the luck of the draw.

As others have said, an average box nowadays is probably around 5-10 keepers.

Good luck if you give it a try, its addicting. Its like a treasure hunt 2 times a week :)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Well, like we all say, think of it as a "temporary" investment.

Day 1: Shell out 500 bucks to pick up a box. Take it home, search it and roll 'em up again.
Day 2: Go to a different bank and turn them in for paper money.

All done. What is left (usually at least 90% of the money) is ready to be spent on bills.
Take the rest to a local coin shop and sell for several times face value.

Only in extreme cases like the box above will you be out any significant money.
In my case, I usually am only out about 20 bucks on a decent box.

So it should not be too hard to convince the governor to let you use $500 for a day or so.
My personal goal is to hoard $500 worth of silver Halves. Then it will be a self-sustaining endeavor.

I just got back from the bank....cashed a box in. $500 back in my pocket, and I ordered a new box for Thursday.

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say that I am totaly amazed at the idea of "buying" a ton of coins from a bank, sorting out the keepers, selling back the non-keepers to the bank and then selling the keepers at the local coin shop. Sounds like pure profit minus the labor involved. Am I right so far?

Where do you sell your lower quality "melt value" coins?

Is there a reason why you buy coins from one bank and sell them back at another? Does this have to do with possibly annoying the !@#$% out of the teller/bank?

By the way, that is an awesome collection of silver. WTG, man.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Can I loan you a $1000 to get two boxes? We could split the silver and I will keep the clad.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
jernigan00 said:
I must say that I am totaly amazed at the idea of "buying" a ton of coins from a bank, sorting out the keepers, selling back the non-keepers to the bank and then selling the keepers at the local coin shop. Sounds like pure profit minus the labor involved. Am I right so far?

Where do you sell your lower quality "melt value" coins?

Is there a reason why you buy coins from one bank and sell them back at another? Does this have to do with possibly annoying the !@#$% out of the teller/bank?

By the way, that is an awesome collection of silver. WTG, man.

Yes you have it right. Mostly. Every time I buy halves at a bank (especially loose ones or individual rolls) they are VERY glad to be rid of them, as all they do is collect dust otherwise. The main reason why you turn them in at a different bank is so you do not buy a box of them you have already searched. However, it is not necessarily just a "different bank" you want, but a bank that uses a different armored car company to order their bulk change.

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
LOL Ringding - that would be cool :) Im having a current "down", as in ups and downs...

Neglible finds for last few weeks. One decent 30+ box, but all the others either skunks, or 2-5
totals. Just opened the 1st of two 500.00 boxes for this week,just now. 1 Franklin, 1 1964.. and that was it.
Not even a 40% in the bunch. Im off to ditch these and grab the other... Im feeling the need
to feed the addiction haha. Ill report back if I find some silver in that one.

Happy searchin'

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
seriously, you should write up a small article about coin roll hunting, include the pics and submit it to one of the treasure hunting magazines. they will pay you for it also.

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ringding, I think I will just for the heck of it :) Man, I havent "written" something
legit like this is quite a while... hope I can remember correct technique lol. Dont want
editors laughing too hard ;D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringding said:
seriously, you should write up a small article about coin roll hunting, include the pics and submit it to one of the treasure hunting magazines. they will pay you for it also.

Do you guys really want to tell the world about this hobby? I drooled all over my keyboard when I saw that open box. There would definately be a run on the banks. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread