i was robbed, community help needed

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I am making a call for assistance to members of this community, any advice or help you could offer is desperately needed. Today 7-16-2012 sometime between 11am and 8pm my car was robbed. they got 1 brink box of half dollars and approximately 130 dollars in silver halfs. this occured in the San Fernando valley in Canoga Park California. I parked my car in the parking lot of the costco on rosco/canoga. I work in this costco, unfortunatly the cameras do not extend far enough into the parking lot to capture the theif. I have been heavly road tripping lately and have not been inclined to take my finds out of the glove box. the coins amounted to 38 90% coins most of them were kennedys and bens and one walker so warn that the date was gone. and the balance was about 200 40% coins with a few proofs and an uncirculated 1986 commerative coin too. All the keepers were in used brinks rolls. And of course a searched 500 box of brinks halfs. all of these coins were out of view, the police said that someone was testing doors and likely found mine unlocked so they didn't know that they were getting tell they found it.

I am making this post in the hopes that if someone is coin hunting out there in that area and happon to come across a bank with a large amount of reciently exchanged coin rolls that fit my description, that they will contact me and hopefully i will be able get the police to care, because they basically said sucks to be you.
Again any assistance would be vastly appreciated.

Upvote 0

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. I am sorry for your loss, it is probably gone for good if you don't have any hard evidence. I always keep my truck locked and in view whenever am I bank hopping, and never have currency in it when I am not doing anything CRH related. I am surprised you wouldn't lock your car man! I somehow hope you get it back, you'll need a miracle at this point.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Attn All Hunters in the San Fernando valley in Canoga Park California - You might want to increase your box orders as there was a recent "collection" added to the pool.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear, but fact is its gone, no way to prove it was yours...............What is hard to understand is why you would leave that much money and silver in a glovebox of a car in the back of a Cosco parking lot for 9 hours..... Does your car have a trunk?

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry! I could only imagine how that feels. I dropped a 64 between my seat and center console while driving and was freaking out. Took pliers and a long ruler to get.
Were your locks broke? I always make sure to beep my car once, twice or three times to confirm it is locked then try the handle when I have a large quantity (even dumps).

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
Attn All Hunters in the San Fernando valley in Canoga Park California - You might want to increase your box orders as there was a recent "collection" added to the pool.

Have a little decency

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I thought i did lock it. and honestly i still think i did, not like if a car alarm goes off people pay attention

Big Fat Cheeseball

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would also check with pawn shops and coin shops in the area for the silver. Not sure but I would think they would be more likely then a bank. With the box I would check with the convenience stores and gas stations in the area.

Last edited:

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plant more and wait in bushes with very large stick and bam. It would be fun like deer hunting!!!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Sorry to hear about your loss but I don't think there is much hope of ever finding the coins or the crooks at this point. If my wife helps me carry dumps into a bank and we have more left in the car she will go right back to the car as soon as possible, it doesn't take a crook long to grab and run. One time, I was eating some chicken inside a fast food place and saw a guy walk past the window with a stereo with wires hanging down and thought to myself that looks a lot like mine. Two seconds later I ran out and chased him but couldn't catch up and when he went into the woods I figured it was better to lose a tape deck than my life. What happened to you is an expensive lesson in life that hopefully you will never let happen again because of your experience this time.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear this. I agree with the others though. It's gone. My house was robbed in 1996 (I was 5), and the robbers stole a ton of old Morgan and Peace dollars, silver quarters, and silver dimes... For each silver dollar, the insurance paid... Guess how much? A DOLLAR. Hopefully you can get at least something back, but from first hand experience, I don't think it's likely. :( sorry...

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing - Sorry to hear about your car being burglarized, that really sucks!

If you had any type of identifying documents in your car that were stolen, mail, insurance cards, whatever that list your name and address, you should moving all your silver / valuables to a safe deposit box for a while. Not to sound alarmist but if they found $500 in halves and ~1200-1300 in silver in your car a thief with any intuition is going to assume there is more at the "main stash" , be very careful.

I also want to reiterate to never leave that much cash in your car in a parking lot for 9 hours. It was most likely a random act and you were not targetted but still...

I take my dump bags to work with me, but it is a secured parking lot, don't get complacent is all I can say.

Hope they can catch the person

Regards,
Bigheed

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
Thing - Sorry to hear about your car being burglarized, that really sucks!

If you had any type of identifying documents in your car that were stolen, mail, insurance cards, whatever that list your name and address, you should moving all your silver / valuables to a safe deposit box for a while. Not to sound alarmist but if they found $500 in halves and ~1200-1300 in silver in your car a thief with any intuition is going to assume there is more at the "main stash" , be very careful.

I also want to reiterate to never leave that much cash in your car in a parking lot for 9 hours. It was most likely a random act and you were not targetted but still...

I take my dump bags to work with me, but it is a secured parking lot, don't get complacent is all I can say.

Hope they can catch the person

Regards,
Bigheed

everything else is in a safe deposit box. the thief left my 2 credit cards in the glove box and my id as well. here is what i don't get he made off with 35 lbs of material, would he just casually walk down the street with it in his hands? did this guy have a back pack on hand in case he got a big score?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thing said:
everything else is in a safe deposit box. the thief left my 2 credit cards in the glove box and my id as well. here is what i don't get he made off with 35 lbs of material, would he just casually walk down the street with it in his hands? did this guy have a back pack on hand in case he got a big score?

Why did you leave your cards and ID in your car? And the guy probably knew that the cameras couldn't see out that far... Or he could've been scoping you out. You never know what people will do.

CRH Rulz

Jul 17, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of your loss. That is alot of silver to just keep in your vehicle.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say a smart thief would carry a backpack, why not, it doesn't really attract attention.

I think you got a bit of a personal security "Wake up call".

Truly I am sorry it happened to you and you lost that much silver, but really, you can't leave items like that in your car & credit cards, ID's etc, frankly I am shocked they weren't taken as well, but untraceable stuff > traceable stuff. I would still keep your guard up, not to hard to snap a cell phone pic of your driver license and case your house.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks. I always lock mine even when dumping. I almost always have my gun on me as well it's only a .22 but It would get the job done. Did you check coin star yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions