What Is Fair Price For Silver Coins?

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:help: I'm seeing a teller tomorrow who has 2 rolls of silver dimes to show me. She said a dealer offered her $40 a roll which would be 8X face. With silver currently being in the $27-$28 range, what would be a fair price to offer her? The last time I bought silver coins, I paid 10X face. I was thinking of offering her that. What are your opinions?

HH Everyone

Last edited:
Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id offer $50/roll if she scoffs top out at $60. Just me though, others would offer more im sure.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are selling for $90+ on eBay per roll. If you bought them for $70, you'd still make money on them. Guess it just depends on whether you are selling or keeping. I'd start the offer @ $60 & max out at about $75. If they are Mercs, they are worth maybe $10 more.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
First off, your math is off. << She said a dealer offered her $40 a roll which would be 9X face>> If it is $5 in dimesper roll, and she was offered $40, that's ummm ... 8X face, right? But, back to your question.

I'd be happy to pay about 17X face right now, which is lower than they are going for on most sites. I can sell them right now on the nucleo site for 19.41 times face, so 17X is a decent discount. IN fact, if you want - you could buy them for whatever you can get them for. 10X face. 12X face. And sell them for 17X face to LOTS of people in a heartbeat. But, I think if you offer that low then you are low. granted, the dealer was low too, but I'm tlking on the BID it is 19.41X face, and she can find that out TOO if she loks. You don't want her to know and then hear you say 10X face. She'll think you are ripping her off. give her a good price, buy at a little discount,and be happy with that. that's my thought. :-)

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17x is fair thats what i just paid for a nice pile. I feel silver is low and i will keep it for 10 more years i will be 66 then..

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:help: I'm seeing a teller tomorrow who has 2 rolls of silver dimes to show me. She said a dealer offered her $40 a roll which would be 9X face. With silver currently being in the $27-$28 range, what would be a fair price to offer her? The last time I bought silver coins, I paid 10X face. I was thinking of offering her that. What are your opinions?

HH Everyone

IMO, a "fair" offer is a price she is happy receiving and you are happy paying...whether its 9X face, 17X face, or 200X face.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let the teller tell you how much she wants first you dont offer first. If its low tell her thats a nice offer and do a little better for her because your that kind of an honest person and could not sleep at night if you paid her that. Guess what??? You are not looking for a one time transaction, you should be thinking about building a friendship with this woman and buying her a giftcard to a local restraunt next week for thinking of you and giving the call. Im betting she calls you on every silver coin she comes across from this point forward.

I bought 9 dimes from the clerk at our local gas station and paid her 2.00 per dime and she threw in a free war nickle. Silver is low and I have no problem paying melt, who doesnt think its going to go up?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Around here, if I offer 20 X face they are offended thinking they are being ripped off. They will then go to the "reputable" coin dealer and sell for 12 X, he has to be honest, as "he's been in business a long time."

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Keep in mind that if you low-ball the teller, you might score these rolls at the time, but you might not be the one she calls with her next pile of silver as she might shop for a higher offer. Paying a fair price keeps both of you happy such that you'll be the first she calls when gets rolls of silver quarters or large dollars.

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been paying $20 for every $1 for a little while now. I have been collecting a nice little stash and people keep coming back!

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
$20 a face is What it is round here in the mountains of east TN. I always try to offer a fair price to get repeat sellers. Never make the first offer find out What they "want" for it and go from there. Some of the best times is when you offer them more than they want. This ensures they will always keep you in mind.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I only have one problem with the "have her tell you what she wants first" approach. Most of the time, these people are coming to you because YOU know they are worth, and they do NOT know. YOu have been going in to the bank and collecting for a long time, so they are asking you to share your knowledge. To say "you go first" is to tell them you are not going to give them that information, and make them think you are not going to give them what they are worth. WHen someone asks me I always start at my best price (Which, as I said, right now is about 17X face. A little discount, but a great price compared to what others will probably offer her) and I do so in order for them to feel they were right to put their trust in my knowledge of the values. I even mention they are worth a little more but that is my offer price, as I am paying on the bid side, not the ask side, and they rally like that (realizing they are getting 17X what they got it for, and i'm getting a little 10% discount or so)

Bottom line. I don't like the "you go first" approach when someone comes to me for MY knowledge and honor in a topic they don't know well enough.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low ball em and god sort em out.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell my sellers that I will pay 80% of melt and then I tell them about Coinflation.com. They can find the value of the coin and how much I will pay. I get repeat sellers.

BH3300Mike

Jul 16, 2012
Where the silver is
Detector(s) used
Etrac BH3300,Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dig them...I have seen the odd person with coins at the coinstar machine when I cash in my clad...If I see a silver coin in their tray I offer a dollar for it....they never say no...usually pick up a few coins a month that way...10X is the most I would every pay, there are millions of them in the ground waiting for us..

HH

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I paid 18 X face the other week for a roll of quarters. If you rip off the teller and they find out the teller will probably never let you know about anymore silver that is turned in.

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would offer her $150 for both rolls and thats as high as I would go its more then she will get just about anywhere else.

OP
OP
C

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Is Fair Price For Silver Coins Update

:wave: First of all thanks to jrf30 for helping me with my basic math. I'm usually pretty good with basic math but for some reason, I had a brain fart & blew that easy multipilication problem.

Second of all, thanks to everyone for your replies & advice. I saw her & after we had a discussion about this, we came to a agreement of $60 per roll. She was happy with that. I also opened a statement savings account at her branch & made sure that she got the credit for me opening the account there.

HH Everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread