Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chase Bank Plastic "BWR" has anyone ever found a dime in these?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mr.

Jan 2012
    Yourtown
    Garrett
    43 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have no problem with Brinks clear dime rolls in my area, Average 1-2 per box
    If it were easy and we scored keepers everytime it would be called Coin Roll Picking not Coin Roll Hunting.

us
    Dec 2010
    555 times
    I've done over $7,000 in Brinks clear wrapped dimes without finding the first silver.

Finally, I picked up some boxes from a branch 'in the big city', and found 1 or 2 Roosies.

I theorize that some of the Brinks dime machines have comparators, and others don't. In the skunk Brink boxes, I've not found any silver, Canadian, or British 5 pence. The String rolls are loaded with Canadian, foreign, and a silver here and there.

us
    Seeker of enough wealth to quit my job.

Jul 2012
    Freakmont
    208 times
    I'm a newbie and have only done one box of dimes so far. 1 box MWR clear from brinks. Got 1 1964. For what ever that's worth. I'm gonna due more I'll let you know. All my MWR are clear except my halves which had paper rolls but I was told it was a brinks box

us
    Feb 2012
    703 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverJack View Post
    I do clear plastic rolls from Brinks exclusively. And in my area, they pay. I've found a few hundred of them doing this. The beauty of this is the speed. I can do two boxes in about 10 minutes and then I can take the full boxes back to a bank without any issue and it's fast. Easier dumping than with halves in my part of the world without coin machines on every corner.
    The perk of these types of boxes, and also the reason why they will never produce like other types of rolls. I think most of the brinks boxes we get have been searched over. all they have to do is reseal the box and send it back out. in other types of BWRs, these are truly unsearched, but with brinks you never know. Maybe 1 out of 10 is unsearched, so you find one dime every $1000 instead of every $100. it's the only thing that makes sense to me without a reason for brinks receiving less silver from customers. Who knows, maybe they receive all the coinstar dumps
    BCD11 likes this.

us
    OCD Coin Hunter

May 2011
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverForBrains View Post
    The perk of these types of boxes, and also the reason why they will never produce like other types of rolls. I think most of the brinks boxes we get have been searched over. all they have to do is reseal the box and send it back out. in other types of BWRs, these are truly unsearched, but with brinks you never know. Maybe 1 out of 10 is unsearched, so you find one dime every $1000 instead of every $100. it's the only thing that makes sense to me without a reason for brinks receiving less silver from customers. Who knows, maybe they receive all the coinstar dumps
    I think it is more likely to be Coinstar dumps bombing the average than other CRHers. There just aren't that many of us out there, especially that do dimes. Probably about half of those who CRH don't move past halves.
    SilverInCirculation.com - My Personal CRH Blog

us
    Jun 2011
    Southeastern MI
    231 times
    I mostly do CWR and Loomis but I have found silver dime in Brink's boxes. The yield is much much lower.

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1316 times
    i miss brinks boxes, all the banks in my area have since switched to garda paper rolls, i used to have a problem finding a paper roll source... now i am having a problem finding a plastic roll source, oh well...
    hh
    buff
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Sep 2011
    13 times
    Two quick follow ups: First, I don't believe any dimes that I search and return in full boxes get retaped and handed out to other CRHers. When I ask for dimes, I will often get a response like "I'm sorry, I don't have any new boxes, just those that you sold me. They are all open." Bank employees aren't going to retape them, they simply sell the rolls out of the box to merchants coming in. They certainly aren't sending them out to be verified by at the service center as that would accomplish nothing but driving up their handling costs. Second, I've only done a few thousand dollars worth of paper rolls so take this for what it's worth but I have not found any yeild difference between clear plastic (Brinks) versus the other carriers. The dimes seem to come in 1 or 2 per box no matter the source. On occasion, I get one that beats the average and at other times, I get a run of skunks (often full boxes of 2012s). Regional differences may exists elsewhere but in the PNW, they are all the same. However, there is another argument that could be made that I'll address. If you're buying less than a full, sealed box, then plastic rolls may not produce for you. There are MANY crafty tellers that would be able to spot the silver dime in the roll and keep it from themselves. Buy purchasing less than the full box, you may be getting pre-searched rolls in that way.

But for me, the clear plastics are just easier to dump. Let me be a bit more specific as to how it's easier. I walk in and throw 2 boxes on the counter. Because the merchant tellers all know me by name and fully trust that I've included 50 rolls in each box, they just hand me 5 $100s and I walk out the door. It's that fast. Now it used to be that they would open the boxes then "tray" the rolls to ensure they were all there. If there's a new teller, they usually ask what to do and the other tellers say "oh, it's him. just give him the money. those boxes are good." I have one branch that usually gets about 20 boxes a week. They let me look through the vast majority of those before they go out the door with other customers. And at that branch, there's a teller that CRHs and she tells me about her recent finds. I share some info about my finds, especially if it's something unusual (steel pennies off a magnet at the 1 coin sorter in the area comes to mind as an example).

In brief, in sealed boxes, I don't believe the rolls have been pre-searched because I keep finding silver. And paper produces no more than plastic in my area.

us
    Sep 2011
    13 times
    Oh, CWRs do tend to produce more... but those are also the rolls where I get shorted most often. That's the gamble.

May 2012
    33 times
    I did a cwr box of nickels that had 6$ extra in it because there were a bunch of quarters inbetween the rolls and at the bottom of the box.
    Easy likes this.

kfs
    us
    Jul 2012
    95 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickel Searcher 219 View Post
    I did a cwr box of nickels that had 6$ extra in it because there were a bunch of quarters inbetween the rolls and at the bottom of the box.
    You cannot however count on this being the norm.

I am not sure what everyone else does but I do not count my CWR. They are search and re-rolled. I normally pick them up in more consumer oriented bank branches and then take them back to a more Retail Store customer location of the same bank. We just replace any silver dimes or foriegn coins we pullout. Perhaps I should bring them back to the same bank branch.

As for the Brinks I might try an entire couple of sealed box. We have never gone that route. I have always worried Brinks are so easy to check someone somewhere is looking them over before I see them

Jul 2012
    8 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kfs View Post
    My kids and I have gone through 10,000 BWR dimes from Chase and not found a single silver dime. We average 1 in every 1200 to 1500 in CWR dimes. We also seem to do OK with BofA paper BWR. I find it hard to believe that we have not found one the Chase dimes. I stopped getting the BWR from Chase an ask for CWR.

I was just wondering how others may have done.
    Your chase must use brinks...my chase uses nf string.. Don't blame the bank brinks just sucks for dimes in general... I usually stick with about 150-175 in pennies a week I don't like dimes they are wayyy to small for my 14 year old eyes

Jun 2012
    Northern California
    48 times
    CRH, garage sales
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyOceansEleven View Post
    I think it is more likely to be Coinstar dumps bombing the average than other CRHers. There just aren't that many of us out there, especially that do dimes. Probably about half of those who CRH don't move past halves.
    This is what I think is the case, too. Sometimes the local Brinks boxes are stuffed with foreign and silver, sometimes they're bone-dry. IIRC Brinks has a national contract with Coinstar, so this should hold true throughout the country.

As for CWR dimes, my results with them is so much better than with BWR that I don't mind the occasional shortages.

kfs
    us
    Jul 2012
    95 times
    If coinstars will sort out silver coins in the reject slot. I have no experience with them. At a fee of 10 cents per dollar they are ultimate ripe off. But it, Brinks is handling these machines it would explain why Chase seem to have some issues with BWR

us
    Feb 2010
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by albert View Post
    Your chase must use brinks...my chase uses nf string.. Don't blame the bank brinks just sucks for dimes in general... I usually stick with about 150-175 in pennies a week I don't like dimes they are wayyy to small for my 14 year old eyes
    Dude just wait until you are 40!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors