Chase Bank Plastic "BWR" has anyone ever found a dime in these?

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i miss brinks boxes, all the banks in my area have since switched to garda paper rolls, i used to have a problem finding a paper roll source... now i am having a problem finding a plastic roll source, oh well...
hh
buff

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two quick follow ups: First, I don't believe any dimes that I search and return in full boxes get retaped and handed out to other CRHers. When I ask for dimes, I will often get a response like "I'm sorry, I don't have any new boxes, just those that you sold me. They are all open." Bank employees aren't going to retape them, they simply sell the rolls out of the box to merchants coming in. They certainly aren't sending them out to be verified by at the service center as that would accomplish nothing but driving up their handling costs. Second, I've only done a few thousand dollars worth of paper rolls so take this for what it's worth but I have not found any yeild difference between clear plastic (Brinks) versus the other carriers. The dimes seem to come in 1 or 2 per box no matter the source. On occasion, I get one that beats the average and at other times, I get a run of skunks (often full boxes of 2012s). Regional differences may exists elsewhere but in the PNW, they are all the same. However, there is another argument that could be made that I'll address. If you're buying less than a full, sealed box, then plastic rolls may not produce for you. There are MANY crafty tellers that would be able to spot the silver dime in the roll and keep it from themselves. Buy purchasing less than the full box, you may be getting pre-searched rolls in that way.

But for me, the clear plastics are just easier to dump. Let me be a bit more specific as to how it's easier. I walk in and throw 2 boxes on the counter. Because the merchant tellers all know me by name and fully trust that I've included 50 rolls in each box, they just hand me 5 $100s and I walk out the door. It's that fast. Now it used to be that they would open the boxes then "tray" the rolls to ensure they were all there. If there's a new teller, they usually ask what to do and the other tellers say "oh, it's him. just give him the money. those boxes are good." I have one branch that usually gets about 20 boxes a week. They let me look through the vast majority of those before they go out the door with other customers. And at that branch, there's a teller that CRHs and she tells me about her recent finds. I share some info about my finds, especially if it's something unusual (steel pennies off a magnet at the 1 coin sorter in the area comes to mind as an example).

In brief, in sealed boxes, I don't believe the rolls have been pre-searched because I keep finding silver. And paper produces no more than plastic in my area.

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, CWRs do tend to produce more... but those are also the rolls where I get shorted most often. That's the gamble.

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I did a cwr box of nickels that had 6$ extra in it because there were a bunch of quarters inbetween the rolls and at the bottom of the box.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a cwr box of nickels that had 6$ extra in it because there were a bunch of quarters inbetween the rolls and at the bottom of the box.

You cannot however count on this being the norm.

I am not sure what everyone else does but I do not count my CWR. They are search and re-rolled. I normally pick them up in more consumer oriented bank branches and then take them back to a more Retail Store customer location of the same bank. We just replace any silver dimes or foriegn coins we pullout. Perhaps I should bring them back to the same bank branch.

As for the Brinks I might try an entire couple of sealed box. We have never gone that route. I have always worried Brinks are so easy to check someone somewhere is looking them over before I see them

albert

Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My kids and I have gone through 10,000 BWR dimes from Chase and not found a single silver dime. We average 1 in every 1200 to 1500 in CWR dimes. We also seem to do OK with BofA paper BWR. I find it hard to believe that we have not found one the Chase dimes. I stopped getting the BWR from Chase an ask for CWR.

I was just wondering how others may have done.
Your chase must use brinks...my chase uses nf string.. Don't blame the bank brinks just sucks for dimes in general... I usually stick with about 150-175 in pennies a week I don't like dimes they are wayyy to small for my 14 year old eyes

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is more likely to be Coinstar dumps bombing the average than other CRHers. There just aren't that many of us out there, especially that do dimes. Probably about half of those who CRH don't move past halves.

This is what I think is the case, too. Sometimes the local Brinks boxes are stuffed with foreign and silver, sometimes they're bone-dry. IIRC Brinks has a national contract with Coinstar, so this should hold true throughout the country.

As for CWR dimes, my results with them is so much better than with BWR that I don't mind the occasional shortages.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If coinstars will sort out silver coins in the reject slot. I have no experience with them. At a fee of 10 cents per dollar they are ultimate ripe off. But it, Brinks is handling these machines it would explain why Chase seem to have some issues with BWR

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
Your chase must use brinks...my chase uses nf string.. Don't blame the bank brinks just sucks for dimes in general... I usually stick with about 150-175 in pennies a week I don't like dimes they are wayyy to small for my 14 year old eyes

Dude just wait until you are 40!!!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through $1095 with 6 silver, including a 1955 key date. I've known some tellers to open the boxes up, take the ones with silver, and hand out the rest. However, dirty rims can get by easily. Best to get sealed boxes if possible

HH
-GC

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did my second box from wells Fargo with brinks clear rolls....skunk a roo.....so far I'm 1silver out of 500 bucks. To small a sample to know if there gonna pay.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree wiht BillyOceansEleven, I have been a CRHer for years, although inactive the last couple years, I never got anything except halves, except for a year I got lots of nickles to try to put together a complete set of Jeffersons, still working on it.
It is the small size and the low returns, at least that is what I had been thinking. I am now going to try dimes and quarters, at least I will start.

I was thinking of starting with CWR's

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to update my signature!

I just got back from two banks got my first rolls of dimes and quarters, 6 rolls of quarters, nothing in them.

14 rolls $70 worth of dimes about half Loomis and 1/4 some kind of roll that was rolled at one end and a flap on the other with a name like Rolstar or something (I threw out the paper) and 1/4 CWF

I found my first Dime in a roll, a 1964!!

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brinks culls for silver, i'm pretty sure i saw it on a tv show

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread