Well that was a waste of time

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is it that every foreigner bank teller I speak with doesn't know what CWRs are but every American teller, or at least doesn't have an accent, I speak with knows right away? I always end up wasting 5 minutes of my time trying to explain what it is I am looking for only to have them walk over to a drawer and pull out the empty wrappers and then I have to further explain what I am looking for.

I went to 5 banks over the last two days and the one American guy knew what I was looking for and I got $10 in cents from him. All of the foreigners had no idea at first and then told me that they didn't have anything. >:(

Upvote 0

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
lostint1.jpg
"U no Raja Mo'?"

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post seems a bit racist. Is it? Seriuosly. It seems it. Anyone?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not racist at all. I too have a hard time dealing with foreign accents, and those that speak broken english.

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't aware that "foreigners" counted as a race. It's really that the tellers who speak broken English or have a very thick accent seem to have a hard time understanding the concept of rolling coins and turning them into the bank. I'm guessing since they didn't grow up here they don't know about it?

What really pisses me off is that I have one teller at a bank I frequent who I have to explain the whole concept of people buying CWRs every time I go to the bank. You would think after 2 or 3 times something would spark her memory when someone asks. I honestly think it's just laziness.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See this is why I asked. Thank you for the honest comments.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most tellers, even the "foreign" tellers are always very nice to me, sure, it may take a little longer to explain something to them, but once they know about it, it's easy. I see no racist remarks at all either.
hh
buff

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I just ask them if they have any dimes or nickels I can get, they ask how many and I say all you can spare, 200-300 hundred. They usually pull out their trays of them and give me anywhere from 60 to 300 depending on how many they have, most times they are CWR with some new ones mixed in. I would rather get boxes of dimes than CWR as the count is off too many times on dimes, nickels are OK but I don't seem to ever find any Buffalos unless I get them in a box. "Do you have any nickels or dimes?"

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I have a teller at a bank who thinks it is very funny that I buy coins to look for silver. I never told him what I was doing but the guy is not stupid. I went to the bank and he handed me my first solid roll. when he gave it to me he said look my friend , they are all silver. I give to you. He was cracking up the whole time. I really think he thinks I am a idiot for coin collecting. But I bring him bagels and he gives me silver. I also can hardly understand anything he says. But I think its a great relationship. happy hunting to all.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to look up the word racist.

My apologies. I should have written bigoted....
In any event it was a serious question that was met with honest answers. Subject closed.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I do not understand CWR either and I collect Coins. I was thinking Civil War Relics

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
minkbodl - Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just going to ask for nickels and dimes from now on.
namster - I have been thinking about carrying a roll of nickels or pennies in my pocket so I can show them what I'm looking for.
fistfulladirt - Roosevelt was a tyrant.
Solid Rolls - I hate everyone. I'm an equal opportunity offender. Also, don't know if you're a football fan but go Ravens!

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid Rolls - I hate everyone. I'm an equal opportunity offender. Also, don't know if you're a football fan but go Ravens!

Honesty. Love it!!
And I got nothing against the Ravens (i.e. I'm not a Steelers fan). Ray Rice is a beast!!

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are having a hard time speaking to them in English then perhaps you should speak to them in thier native language. I lived overseas for 2 years teaching english. I can appreciate the difficulty of trying to communicate in a language not your own. Pick your ears and keep it simple and avoid using slang.

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you've ever been to Arlington VA but it's the little United Nations down here. I really don't want to learn that many languages. I speak some Spanish from four years of it in high school and two semesters in college but most of the people who speak Spanish at the banks already speak perfect English.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread